Why would you consider AMD?

Well here where I live, the difference between a locked i5 and an 8000 processor is almost 100$, so I would think it would be a logical decision to go with the 8000 processor.

Yup, that's perfectly fine, in the US a locked i5 is the same price though.

"He doesn't go with our hive mind, must be shitposting!"

"If they don't agree with what I'm saying, I'll say they're wrong for saying I'm wrong!"

Pointless post.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I would maybe consider a AMD processor, because of my Mobo.

I would definitely consider a AMD GPU in the 150-230 euros/dollars range

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you are going to quote, please use the quote button

I've been using the quote button this entire time, you're just nitpicking now

Someone here can't read a benchmark sheet... that or he somehow missed the 171% extra multicore performance...

Oh well what can you expect from an auto-defined @BovinePoptart

So people expressing opinion should be banned? 

People bringing nothing to the table but a screenshot from a random website and one line inciting a flame war for no reason should at the very least reconsider their attitude. If someone asks what cpu they should buy, you have all the right to tell them you prefer intel. Making a thread to declare your opinion (based on facts which actually prove you wrong, see what I wrote above) in an insulting and generalizing manner, that's pointless and only creates said flamewar.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

"He doesn't go with our hive mind, must be shitposting!"

Is this a legitimate quote?

I was Also making a joke

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Why would one consider AMD? People who are doing media production on a budget. 

For $140-150. AMD offers the FX 8320 while intel offers the i3 4340. 

CPUBOSS

GeekBench

8320: 11,631

4340:   7,453

Passmark

8320: 8,183

4340: 5,294

Obviously for games the 4340 will most likely beat the 8320 senseless due to it's superior single core performance but for media production where all cores are utilized. 8 AMD cores will obviously beat 2 intel cores. 

So there you have it. Why people would consider AMD. Now can we please stop with these pointless posts.

So in multicore performance AMD wins? Otherwise it's not so good? Since when is this news?! This has been known! But do remember otherthings this isn't mentioning, 9590 is absurd and no stronger than an OC'ed 8320/8350 (which can be found for $100-140) so the pricetags on this are misleading... and do remember lots of games are starting to REQUIRE Quad cores, and Pentium G3258 doesn't even have 3 -.- granted there is software solutions but can backfire a misclick could cause you to need to reinstall or redownload or as the gaming companies say cause glitches in the game visual or otherwise... Multi cores can also help with other things such as rendering an 8320/8350 will do significantly better than G3258...And there are things like say Mantle that alleviate   single core performance and Mantle is only spreading to games themselves or to OpenGL and DX12, Even linus mentioned on the Wanshow that it lowered usage of each core infavor of using more cores granted there will be a lag delay on that to be implemented into games...and Multitasking an 8Core with much stronger multicore performance is gonna do quite a bit better at extreme multitasking.. But G3258 still will do better in games that use fewer cores that's given,  it'll be a bit "snappier" at random tasks that use fewer faster cores,  and I'm not even gonna mention  the FM socket APUs/CPUs

There's pros and cons to each depends on workflow and preference and budget  AMD falls into a small niche, and they know that the company has said and donethings indicating that

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

CPUBOSS

GeekBench

Passmark

Obviously for games the 4340 will most likely beat the 8320 senseless due to it's superior single core performance but for media production where all cores are utilized. 8 AMD cores will obviously beat 2 intel cores. 

So there you have it. Why people would consider AMD. Now can we please stop with these pointless posts.

THANK YOU!

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Except, that 8320 has no iGPU, so you have to buy a discrete graphics card. Also, that 8320 needs an aftermarket cooler. Add that money and you can buy an i5-4460 which beats the 8320.

So comparing them on a CPU-price basis is unfair and incomplete.

Actually, it's ignorant posts like this that perpetuate the discussion and is ultimately what the OP was after.

CPUBOSS

GeekBench

Passmark

That's it. Case closed. time to go home.

Why would you listen to me? I'm just some random guy on the internet!

That's it. Case closed. time to go home.

You mean, before someone comes along that proves this statement is fa...ohwait I already did.

Seriously, It's been years and still the same ignorant arguments are used. Simpletons.

So you mean every area except for multi core performance?

There still exist applications that use three or four threads rather than one or two. In gaming I believe the 8320 does a little better than the G3258 on average.

Yes, I despise AMD CPUs, you will never catch me purchasing or recommending one again, but I would still pick the 8320 over the Pentium G3258.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I had a pretty poor experience with a G3258. If someone was buying a system for me, and I couldn't upgrade it. I'd choose an AMD solution such as a 860K over the 3258 because that works better for what I spend most of my time doing.

That aside this is a pointless comparison as there are lots of scenarios where a 9590 crushes a 3258. Sure you shouldn't buy a 9590 as it makes no sense over the similarly priced Intel alternatives but that's beside the point.

You're not expressing an opinion, you're just opening a can of worms on purpose to cause unrest within the community with stupid flame war ridden threads like this.

Begone with you.

You mean, before someone comes along that proves this statement is fa...ohwait I already did.

Seriously, It's been years and still the same ignorant arguments are used. Simpletons.

I take it that this is what you refer to, no?

"Except, that 8320 has no iGPU, so you have to buy a discrete graphics card. Also, that 8320 needs an aftermarket cooler. Add that money and you can buy an i5-4460 which beats the 8320.

So comparing them on a CPU-price basis is unfair and incomplete."

Sure. This is a legit argument if you don't intend to get a graphics card. But if you do then this does not apply?

Intel does make the most sense in most situations but to completely dismiss AMD as an option in any instance seems a bit ignorant don't you think?

Why would you listen to me? I'm just some random guy on the internet!

Except, that 8320 has no iGPU, so you have to buy a discrete graphics card. Also, that 8320 needs an aftermarket cooler. Add that money and you can buy an i5-4460 which beats the 8320.

So comparing them on a CPU-price basis is unfair and incomplete.

Actually, it's ignorant posts like this that perpetuate the discussion and is ultimately what the OP was after.

As someone have mentioned. The 8320 is for a very niche market. It is true you'll need to get a dedicated GPU if one gets the 8320. However if the person is already going to get one for GPU accelerated purposes. He wouldn't need the iGPU.

The stock cooler by AMD is adequate at best. It depends on the ambient temperature. The user won't know if he/she will need an aftermarket cooler until he/she uses the stock cooler in his environment. Even then a cheap $20 cooler, which is by no means good, will cool the 8320 decently. That brings the price bracket up to a point where one can get the lowest end quad core intel. Which still performs slightly worse than the 8320 in media production. 

I'm not saying the 8320 is KING in the budget media production market. Again, only users who are under specific condition would go after the 8320. Users who have relatively cool ambient temperature and is already planning to get a dedicated GPU anyways for GPU accelerated task would consider the 8320.

Personally, I by no means recommend the 8320. I much rather the person save up and go intel due to the CPU upgradability by going LGA 1150. Sure the 9590 can compete with the 4690K in media production but the user will most likely have to upgrade his/her AM3+ motherboard to support the 9590 power draw which means money wasted on the budget AM3+ board. Also, the highest end LGA 1150 chip, the 4790K, runs circles around the 9590... I'm merely stating the facts so please don't take my posts on an emotional level.

Sure this thread breaks COC.

But I would consider AMD due to the bad luck I've had with Intel followed by poor customer service.

Sure. This is a legit argument if you don't intend to get a graphics card. But if you do then this does not apply?

Then you need to specify which market you're appealing to. GPU acceleration isn't that great, so if you're on a budget an i5 is a much cheaper solution than a 8320 for rendering machines.

If you're willing to spend the extra cash, Xeon would probably be a much better candidate.

Sorry for lashing out there, but it's just getting a little tired seeing the "AMD is cheaper" trope being used when it clearly isn't true anymore.

The only positive to AMD's CPU line is that they're also a low end GPU which if you're building a very budget build can help.

I'm not particularly and AMD fan and regret getting a 290X (so loud and hot) when I could have gotten a 780 / ti or for now around the same price and 970.

The point being that most of AMD's technology is slightly old and not as good as Intel's performance but it's still a very valid option for people wanting a low end gaming pc or a compact machine for things like LAN party's is all I'm saying.

i would consider an Fx8320 for a budget workstation that would do only multi-threaded loads and nothing else.( no gaming!!)

the 860k is also imho a good choice for a VERY tight budget gaming pc where even a low-end i3 would be out of budget.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

-snip-

Haswells and just about every Intel CPU run hotter then AMD.

If AMD had refined the Phenom II core, Die shrunk it to 32nm and made it an 8 core with a better IMC then it would be much closer performance wise. Phenoms have a 1+ Ghz per core advantage over FXs.

I would consider AMD if i was looking at a budget build...anything of any value i would make would be Intel, but thats just my  preference.

Main Rig: | CPU: Intel Core i9-7900x | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Founders | Mobo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz | SSD: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 1TB & Samsung 960 Pro 1TB | Sound: Parasound ZDAC & Burson Soloist Amp | PSU: Corsair RM850 | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 | Case: Caselabs MAGNUM SMA8 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 | Keyboard: WASD V3 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Mousepad: Logitech G PowerPlay | CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB272 | Extra Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster PX2370 |

Haswells and just about every Intel CPU run hotter then AMD.

If AMD had refined the Phenom II core, Die shrunk it to 32nm and made it an 8 core with a better IMC then it would be much closer performance wise. Phenoms have a 1+ Ghz per core advantage over FXs.

the run at high temperature but they dont put out as much heat :)

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016