Xbox One Designer Explains why the console is so big

sof006

But the PS4 seems to manage to keep higher resolutions and play better than the xbox one, while being cheaper and smaller.

PS4 doesn't always keep higher resolution there are a number of CPU intensive games that actually run better on xbox one Destiny for example.

That hilarious. They HAD to make it that big...right... is that why the ps4 is significantly smaller and more power and still does not overheat? Keep in mind the xbox has an external power brick, just imagine if it didn't. It would be even bigger and still less powerful.

I'm not sure where you seem to get the idea PS4 is significantly more powerful the 2 consoles take a different route as they did with their ram resulting in Xbox having better cpu performance and PS4 having better GPU performance. Also why do any of us care about the consoles size? If size was such a big deal wouldn't everyone just own Nvidia shield style devices? I personally don't care so long as it fits into the spaces on my tv cabinet. 

Well it's better to have the console be a bit on the big side than to end up like with the 360... How high was that failure rate again? Over 50%? Pretty sure a lot of them were linked to overheating as well so I can understand them being careful.

The release model Xbox 360 in the US and UK yes the one in Australia was much better mine still works(upside of console releasing later here). It was a problem solved world wide when they brought out the Elite model so overall it was far less then 50% as the Elite and later S and now what ever they call the latest version  have sold far far more then the ugly white release pro and arcade.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

But the PS4 seems to manage to keep higher resolutions and play better than the xbox one, while being cheaper and smaller.

Unconfirmed suspicion, but me thinks it has to do with the OS on it.

Unconfirmed suspicion, but me thinks it has to do with the OS on it.

ahh not really, up to this point it has been fairly consistent that the PS4 runs games at a higher res and or fps.

http://au.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Not all games but a decent amount. Starting to change now though as devs start to tackle the res issues in different ways.

I'm not sure where you seem to get the idea PS4 is significantly more powerful. The 2 consoles take a different route as they did with their ram resulting in Xbox having better cpu performance and PS4 having better GPU performance.

Is it the fact that the PS4 has 40% more raw computational power due to its GPU having substantially more shader cores?

;)

Of course, none of this should even matter to us.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Maybe after sales but the Xbox One retails $100 higher.

No, Xbox one is cheaper. There are 2 different versions of the xbox one, one with the kinect and one without.

$399.99 for the ps4 http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-4-500gb-system-black-friday-bundle-with-grand-theft-auto-v-and-the-last-of-us-remastered/118074

$349.99 for the xbox one  ($329.99 on sale) http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-assassins-creed-unity-bundle/117548

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

ahh not really, up to this point it has been fairly consistent that the PS4 runs games at a higher res and or fps.

http://au.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Not all games but a decent amount. Starting to change now though as devs start to tackle the res issues in different ways.

?

I mean the Xbox's OS could be bloated.

i suppose they were able to know exactly how hot it gets under standard external temperatures and built the system to meet that. its not like theres overclocking. i dont think too many people would care though if they put a REAL intake fan somewhere on the front and a REAL exhaust fan on the back. little things like that would make it much cooler and they may even be able to make it look cool...

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

You do realize that the XB1 link is to a 3rd party seller and not Amazon right? The $350 price is the current MSRP for Kinect-less bundles in the US, at least through the end of the year. It is entirely possible that MS will keep that price point since it seems to be working out well for them.

The release model Xbox 360 in the US and UK yes the one in Australia was much better mine still works(upside of console releasing later here). It was a problem solved world wide when they brought out the Elite model so overall it was far less then 50% as the Elite and later S and now what ever they call the latest version have sold far far more then the ugly white release pro and arcade.

Failure rate of the original generation of Xbox 360s due to overheating is estimated at 54.2%

Http://www.gizmodo.com/5344302/microsoft-responds-to-542-xbox-360-failure-rate-claim-doesnt-dispute-it

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I swear sometimes LTT really does act like a bunch of 16 year old females in high school. Raving over who can come up with the most dirt on each others favourite devices or brands.

Microsoft likely gave it more than enough cooling/internal space in order to avoid the massive overheating issues they had with the 360 in its first couple of years. They also likely anticipated people putting the Xbox One into small TV stand / home theatre stand compartments which kill airflow and were a huge contributor to 360 overheating issues.

Pretty much. Looks like PS4 uses a blower cooler (probably for dust). Dust will eventually be a problem on both though. I think it is pretty stupid that opening the Xbox One to clean it voids your warranty though. They must think their owners are incompetent jackasses that will spill Mountain Dew on the internals. :(

On the other hand it looks like you CAN open a PS4 to clean it out, change the HD without voiding a warranty. Then again, aren't both like 1 crappy year of warranties (which is shameful from both companies imo) and then you have to buy a service plan or some crap? If I owned a Xbox One I would just clean the thing out every 6 months. Screw the warranty. With that sized heatsink, that rinky dink AMD CPU/GPU should last a long, long time as long as dust isn't a problem. Looks like MS basically strapped half a evo 212 on that sucker lol. Don't blame them after the 360 problems.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

6.jpg

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I don't get why people see it as "funny" or think there is another reason behind it.

Microsoft XBox team simply went and said: "We don't care what, we don't want the console to not face any overheating issue like the 360 did.", pretty much.

So they basically over-built the console. Sure a better heatsink/fan could have been put, but that cost more money, than a larger system with more vent holes.

I swear sometimes LTT really does act like a bunch of 16 year old females in high school. Raving over who can come up with the most dirt on each others favourite devices or brands.

Microsoft likely gave it more than enough cooling/internal space in order to avoid the massive overheating issues they had with the 360 in its first couple of years. They also likely anticipated people putting the Xbox One into small TV stand / home theatre stand compartments which kill airflow and were a huge contributor to 360 overheating issues.

Looking inside the Xbox One you can see they clearly could have made it more compact if they really wanted to but why risk potential overheating issues? Besides, the Xbox One really is not that big. My roommate has one and by looking at it is not unreasonably big. Maybe we all forget how fat the PS3 was? Lets take a look. Last but not least there actually are people reporting overheating issues with the PS4: https://www.google.ca/webhp?#q=ps4+overheating

But I'll just let all of you armchair engineers continue on.

You both are spot on. 

MS made the One how it is for now because of heat concerns. They learned a VERY VALUABLE LESSON with the 360. Either have amazing cooling or a large enclosure, ideally the first one. Stifling components for design never really works out that well. 

MS knows where people shove these things. Into cabinets, shelves and stands that are cool air starved on the best of days. Guess where my One sits? Next to my Pioneer Elite receiver. That hunk of metal generates enough heat to sustain nuclear fusion for crying out loud, big things are big for a reason especially when it comes to home theatre equipment. 

But I abstain. The shameless and pathetic circle jerk with this forum is getting tiresome. If this is the idiotic audience the leaders of LMG want to cater to, hey, I've always got reddit for some maturity. Yes, reddit. That place encourages more reasonable discourse than here. Its pandering to the lowest common denominator here. That denominator is a bunch of 12 year olds with the reasoning capabilities of a dog who is chasing his tail. 

But I abstain. The shameless and pathetic circle jerk with this forum is getting tiresome. If this is the idiotic audience the leaders of LMG want to cater to, hey, I've always got reddit for some maturity. Yes, reddit. That place encourages more reasonable discourse than here. Its pandering to the lowest common denominator here. That denominator is a bunch of 12 year olds with the reasoning capabilities of a dog who is chasing his tail. 

Which subreddits are you subscribed to?

I'm subbed to /talesfromtechsupport, /talesfromretail, etc. I'm thinking about unsubbing from /pcmasterrace because it's nothing but shit for the last year.

?

I mean the Xbox's OS could be bloated.

.......yeah sorry read your first response in a different tone :P

Search....."Xbox one 3 OS hypervisor" and you'll start to see some of the OS over head the X1 has :)

PS4 doesn't always keep higher resolution there are a number of CPU intensive games that actually run better on xbox one Destiny for example.

AC: U would have been a better example, Destiny is 30 Locked on both consoles with nary a blip or anything.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Which subreddits are you subscribed to?

I'm subbed to /talesfromtechsupport, /talesfromretail, etc. I'm thinking about unsubbing from /pcmasterrace because it's nothing but shit for the last year.

A few of the defaults, a lot of the support related ones and sport ones. Nothing too specific or general. Ironically the Apple and Android ones are fairly level headed. Fanboyism in either one gets met with a strong GTFO a response.

Pcmasterrace is just a circlejerk that rivals r/pics. Post shitposts, get karma. Pcgaming is a better place for discussion without the rampant 12 year old mentality. A mentality that is seriously flawed and dragging other sites down with it. PCMR made its name by pretending to be a haven for idiots, but real idiots saw it as a real haven and now that place is actually run by idiots who take it too seriously.

Failure rate of the original generation of Xbox 360s due to overheating is estimated at 54.2%

Http://www.gizmodo.com/5344302/microsoft-responds-to-542-xbox-360-failure-rate-claim-doesnt-dispute-it

Which is what I said the release edition in the US/UK failed that doesn't make the falure rate of xbox 360's at 50% overall though as the later models sold far more.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

A few of the defaults, a lot of the support related ones and sport ones. Nothing too specific or general. Ironically the Apple and Android ones are fairly level headed. Fanboyism in either one gets met with a strong GTFO a response.

Pcmasterrace is just a circlejerk that rivals r/pics. Post shitposts, get karma. Pcgaming is a better place for discussion without the rampant 12 year old mentality. A mentality that is seriously flawed and dragging other sites down with it. PCMR made its name by pretending to be a haven for idiots, but real idiots saw it as a real haven and now that place is actually run by idiots who take it too seriously.

Ain't that the truth. Before I knew about the mentality of the users, I joined the Steam group expecting everyone to have some form of rational thinking at least. NOPE. There's kids talking about smoking weed all the time (literally all they talk about and it gets annoying), and then the peasant name-calling is rampant.

Which is what I said the release edition in the US/UK failed that doesn't make the falure rate of xbox 360's at 50% overall though as the later models sold far more.

My bad, I misread your post. Sorry.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Can he explain how gaming notebooks can feature an i7 and a 980M and be 1/2 the size?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This was obvious. Seriously I thought everyone knew that. In fact Ashens video on it had a mention of this fact I think. Microsoft played it safe so that they don't have Red Ring of Death issues again.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'm a child of the 80's, (born in the 70's) but developed in the 80's.  If it's bigger, it's better.  FULL STOP.

P.S how many engineers are there on LTT that can design and build a better console than MS?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm a child of the 80's, (born in the 70's) but developed in the 80's. If it's bigger, it's better. FULL STOP.

Japanese have the opposite mentality. That's one of the reasons why Xbox fails there.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Japanese have the opposite mentality. That's one of the reasons why Xbox fails there.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.