Shots fired! CNET's review of Alienware Alpha

WizardKing

I would hope that the console peasants would wake up, but sadly they won't. They are determined to make their purchasing decisions out of ignorance "I don't have time to build a PC!, I dont have time to make sure things are up to date, I don't have time to look up what kind of hardware I should need, etc".

They refuse to wake up and make responsible decisions, and the industry suffers as a result.

Some people don't want to play with a mouse and keyboard. Some people don't want to constantly upgrade their system to play the latest games. Some people don't have the knowledge to build a pc. Why does it matter if they play consoles because the last time I checked the good ol PC Master Race was doing just fine financialy. Calling them peasants because their hardware is inferior doesn't help either. So maybe you you should wake up and realize people have a choice and they don't need idiots like you mocking them because they're not playing on pc.

Ignorant elitists whose closed minded views brings them down even more. I prefer the console community.

On the irony...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Stop being a snob. People who use consoles aren't ignorant, they're simple. What you fail to understand is that most people don't give fuck about graphics, upgrading and frame rate. They just want to sit on their couch and enjoy games.

Console players may not all be ignorant inherently. However, the ones that defend consoles, recite common myths about PC gaming, and say that consoles are better than PCs when PCs are objectively better in every way are ignorant.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

While I do agree with EVERYTHING you both just said. I have to say something, as it turns out, we are the idiot peasants, we ALLOWED the game companies to DESTROY PC gaming because of consoles, WE get shitty ports that are unoptimized on high end hardware that could run those games at the very least double the framerate the consoles can and we didn't hang them for those actions!!! Unity is only one example of the major fuck ups that happened over the last few years! Locking framerates, silly textures, poor optimization, random frame drops and so on...

Your second post kind of touched on this but what blows my mind is when people support these poorly optimized games or games that simply suck. Them being ported from consoles just exacerbates the issue for me. I'm still not gung-ho about the indie game movement and Steam Greenlight and kickstarters up the wazoo; every single one of those things has major problems. The game industry is in a bad way right now and all I wish people would do is support actually good games. It doesn't have to compete with Crysis or TES:VI or anything else, it doesn't need to have 400 hours of gameplay.

I just want to see more people throw their money at game developers that seem to give a shit about their product and put forth something that runs stable and is fun. Doing that alone will help raise the standards that we currently have to deal with in games. I am in awe of what people are capable of tolerating, let alone willing to pay for. And it's frustrating because the majority of people are just that dumb, which ruins everything for everyone else.

I'd be willing to compare government bodies to the general consumer for gaming. If only for example's sake since we all know most people aren't oozing brilliance.

what a load of crap seriously how elitist.  consoles have a lot going for them, for one the a mile easier, open box, plug in, turn on, insert game, play no drivers no building no installing clients just because you game does not mean you want to build a pc, online is so much better than on pc games are cheaper on pc(even in steam sales) when you factor in trade ins. just because you prefer PC dosnt make you better or worse of a person then some one who prefers console. 

I just dont see where this fits in? console gamers wont move from there platform, i mean all there frends will be there xbox live/psn is very appealing and fro the most part better than pc multiplayer those that try to play FPS vs pc players with a controller will be at a big disadvantage and its sill a pc....there is also the whole origin and uplay thing, i mean will the be supported? then there is pc games who would most probably think i could build a system with better specs or at least the same for the same price and mod it how i like

Console games aren't cheaper(even if you use trade ins which hurt devs and brought us the online pass...) there is installing and updates on consoles. Online isn't better unless you love listening to screaming children and you have to pay subscription to even be online. Hell I'd argue that consoles aren't even much if any easier to use then a correctly setup dedicated living room gaming pc Steam, Origin and Uplay tend to make things ridiculously easy and if the system only has 1 large hard drive so noobs don't have to try and work out where they want their games installed it's pretty much double click done.(Geforce experience or AMD gaming evolved take care of keeping drivers upto date for you)

It's not like YOU have to build your gaming machine anymore then you have to build your console, you could buy something like this pre-built or have it built by a friend/family member or any one of the thousands of places that offer custom built machines. I tend to build and configure systems for just about anyone I know so long as they cover the hardware/shipping costs because I enjoy building systems.

"those that try to play FPS vs pc players with a controller will be at a big disadvantage" - I don't even know if you're trying to say controllers are at a disadvantage or keyboard and mouse users are... So long as you use your preferred input chances are you're going to play at your best so the advantage/disadvantage will be mostly skill based. 

"then there is pc gamers who would most probably think i could build a system with better specs or at least the same for the same price and mod it how i like"

^This is true I wouldn't buy this device I'd just build my own better version. - Arguably I already have with my HTPC

I own multiple consoles as well as multiple computers I game on both console and PC I'm not saying there's anything wrong with console gamers or that they don't have upsides you just failed to list their true upsides.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Yes they are a lot of them are ignorant and they are very ignorant kind of extreme fanboys, they ignore a lot of thing, but console have their advantages and disadvantages so does other platforms. 

Yes because we obviously don't have extreme fanbois on the PC platform. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Anti-Apple, Master Race, etc. /s

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P

I would hope that the console peasants would wake up, but sadly they won't. They are determined to make their purchasing decisions out of ignorance "I don't have time to build a PC!, I dont have time to make sure things are up to date, I don't have time to look up what kind of hardware I should need, etc".

They refuse to wake up and make responsible decisions, and the industry suffers as a result.

And the conslows don't have "perfect games" anymore, an incentive of old conslows (at least in their later years) was that glitches were not common and patches for games and software was rare. Now conslow users DO need to make sure things are up to date and deal with patches and need to connect to play and shit.

On the other hand, when I play Chivalry I think of a conslow burning every time I kill a filthy peasant.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Yeah, if everyone was playing on high end PC games would look nicer . But seriously, who cares about that? Not to mention fact that without "plebs" as you say it - we wouldn't get as many AAA titles as we do now. 

By the way, if you think that we are getting shitty ports , maybe your PC sucks? My 780ti doesn't complain about anything - in fact even "shitty" AC:U runs good.

Well graphics are pretty lol We'd have just as many tripleA titles without consoles, Your 780ti costs as much as an entire console and is much more powerful so it should run things much better then any console and system requirements/fps are far from the only things that can make a port shitty. How about games with extremely poor controls or menu options not to mention those that still say press X or start as so so many do hell some even mix it up and show a menu from the xbox on one screen and playstation on another haha

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Well graphics are pretty lol We'd have just as many tripleA titles without consoles, Your 780ti costs as much as an entire console and is much more powerful so it should run things much better then any console and system requirements/fps are far from the only things that can make a port shitty. How about games with extremely poor controls or menu options not to mention those that still say press X or start as so so many do hell some even mix it up and show a menu from the xbox on one screen and playstation on another haha

If I can play games like FFXIII on PC why not? If I have a choice between not having port or having shitty port , I'll go with having it. FFXIII with forced 4MSAA, 16AF and playing it at 4k 60fps looks better than most of games that I've played in few years. 

As for AAA count without consoles - do you really think that all people that bought PS4/XO would buy gaming PC if consoles were non existent?

I can't even tell if I am being provoked into this pointless discussions or not. 

Am I the only one that enjoys playing games on both consoles and pc... ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

You aren't alone. Only an idiot would deny how amazing some console exclusives are. Persona 5 incoming!

Git Gud.

Yes because we obviously don't have extreme fanbois on the PC platform. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Anti-Apple, Master Race, etc. /s

Yes we do have extreme fanboy and I didn't say we didn't have them don't shove words in my mouth.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Nope still using my PS2.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I do have a gtx 660. The rest of my system is fine though.

I was referring more to the general degradation of development practices in general, like releasing an unfinished game and just fixing anything that pops up with a patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y

This video applies not just to pre-orders, but to the entire console gaming scene in general. Have you every really stopped to think "is this screwing me?". Can people not just learn some patience and learn to get as much value for their money as possible, instead of just "OOOH NEW CONSOLE MUST BUY, 90% MORE GEN!!!!"

Edit: I also forgot, games like Destiny, where you are going to have to pay in order to finish the storyline (which by some accounts is shitty to begin with).

And things would be different if every migrated to the PC how exactly? I'm not sure what fantasy world you live in but consoles aren't to blame for anything, it's the companies and the people that run them at fault here. Do you really think we would magically get better games or games the run better? We wouldn't have shitty ports but we'd still have buggy, broken, releases that perform like shit. It is also VERY likely that the shift would simply put a ton more people in the low to mid range end, people who probably wouldn't upgrade their computers for 4-6 years. In effect they would still have consoles, just consoles with problems a hell of a lot more complex to deal with. Developers would still make games that work well for those systems and we'd still have the same support for the enthusiast level. A no console world is the same shit with a different skin on it.

If I can play games like FFXIII on PC why not? If I have a choice between not having port or having shitty port , I'll go with having it. FFXIII with forced 4MSAA, 16AF and playing it at 4k 60fps looks better than most of games that I've played in few years. 

As for AAA count without consoles - do you really think that all people that bought PS4/XO would buy gaming PC if consoles were non existent?

I can't even tell if I am being provoked into this pointless discussions or not. 

You told someone they had to have a crappy PC if they complain about shitty ports I proved you wrong.

We had plenty of good tripleA games before consoles.. Consoles have helped the market in some ways and hurt it in others. It's the entire trade in thing that brought us the online pass after all.

*cough*TotalBiscuit not being able to run AC:U*cough*

Honestly, I see so many shitty ports now instead of decent ports. I still don't see why they port it from the console to the PC version when it was originally developed and running on a PC. :|

AW was a decent port. Except for that damn mouse acceleration bug. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

AW was a decent port. Except for that damn mouse acceleration bug. 

I know. For some people like one of my friends it doesn't like their computer on the lowest possible settings... Then again he's running a terrible FX 4100 that performs VERY close to my i5 650... Yeah, that's kind of sad.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

So how much does a PS4 costs and how much does this costs? If they are similarly priced then I see no reason to get the consoles except for their exclusives.

I'm just trying to figure out how you launch Skype from the Alienware UI....lol

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)

You told someone they had to have a crappy PC if they complain about shitty ports I proved you wrong.

We had plenty of good tripleA games before consoles.. Consoles have helped the market in some ways and hurt it in others. It's the entire trade in thing that brought us the online pass after all.

I told someone that he had too crappy PC because he was acting elitist.

I'm just trying to figure out how you launch Skype from the Alienware UI....lol

You dont, you would have to access the desktop for that, steam has a voice client though so you dont need to if you are playing with a friend on steam

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Please stop using the term "console peasant". Show some respect to who makes different choice because he has different need.

I call people "peasants" not for playing consoles, but for their ignorance. There are people who fully understand the benefits of PC gaming but still chooses consoles.

This thread is basically the reason I hate tech forums, and especially this bullshit trash community (At least when this gets posted)

Take the PC Master Race bullshit and stick it where the sun doesn't shine

I enjoy these threads, they can spawn interesting discussions at times.

Console games aren't cheaper(even if you use trade ins which hurt devs and brought us the online pass...) there is installing and updates on consoles. Online isn't better unless you love listening to screaming children and you have to pay subscription to even be online. Hell I'd argue that consoles aren't even much if any easier to use then a correctly setup dedicated living room gaming pc Steam, Origin and Uplay tend to make things ridiculously easy and if the system only has 1 large hard drive so noobs don't have to try and work out where they want their games installed it's pretty much double click done.(Geforce experience or AMD gaming evolved take care of keeping drivers upto date for you)

It's not like YOU have to build your gaming machine anymore then you have to build your console, you could buy something like this pre-built or have it built by a friend/family member or any one of the thousands of places that offer custom built machines. I tend to build and configure systems for just about anyone I know so long as they cover the hardware/shipping costs because I enjoy building systems.

"those that try to play FPS vs pc players with a controller will be at a big disadvantage" - I don't even know if you're trying to say controllers are at a disadvantage or keyboard and mouse users are... So long as you use your preferred input chances are you're going to play at your best so the advantage/disadvantage will be mostly skill based. 

"then there is pc gamers who would most probably think i could build a system with better specs or at least the same for the same price and mod it how i like"

^This is true I wouldn't buy this device I'd just build my own better version. - Arguably I already have with my HTPC

I own multiple consoles as well as multiple computers I game on both console and PC I'm not saying there's anything wrong with console gamers or that they don't have upsides you just failed to list their true upsides.

where to start.

trade ins hurt devs, really......you really eat that corporate shit up don't you. the online pass is just another way for publishers to fleece you this whole pre owned game crap is exactly that crap. put it like this when you buy a second hand car do you have to kick back to the manufacturer? i mean its the same thing, car manufactures loose out on a brand new sale every time a second hand car is sold right. in fact selling second hand should be band altogether by your logic as they "hurt the manufacturer".  no devs should not get a kick back and we should be allowed to sell OUR games, cars and whatever else on. as for consoles not being cheaper, when you can normally get £20-£25 for your prewoned games that are fairly new then in the long run it workks out to be cheaper than pc games.

i should have made this clearer but what i was saying is that a pc gamer with a M+KB vs a pc gamer with a controller in fps games and some others will have an advantage.  the mouse movements are so much quicker than a controller leading to a much better reaction time

again a console is plug and play 1 client to handle all your games not multiple clients and the same can be said for voice chat freinds lists its all in one place and is easy to access. some one mentioned installs and that consoles still needs to install, yeah but thats from a disk and its a million times quicker than a DL over the net. 

sorry but console gaming has its upsides.  there is no pcmasterace

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

where to start.

trade ins hurt devs, really......you really eat that corporate shit up don't you. the online pass is just another way for publishers to fleece you this whole pre owned game crap is exactly that crap. put it like this when you buy a second hand car do you have to kick back to the manufacturer? i mean its the same thing, car manufactures loose out on a brand new sale every time a second hand car is sold right. in fact selling second hand should be band altogether by your logic as they "hurt the manufacturer".  no devs should not get a kick back and we should be allowed to sell OUR games, cars and whatever else on. as for consoles not being cheaper, when you can normally get £20-£25 for your prewoned games that are fairly new then in the long run it workks out to be cheaper than pc games.

i should have made this clearer but what i was saying is that a pc gamer with a M+KB vs a pc gamer with a controller in fps games and some others will have an advantage.  the mouse movements are so much quicker than a controller leading to a much better reaction time

again a console is plug and play 1 client to handle all your games not multiple clients and the same can be said for voice chat freinds lists its all in one place and is easy to access. some one mentioned installs and that consoles still needs to install, yeah but thats from a disk and its a million times quicker than a DL over the net. 

sorry but console gaming has its upsides.  there is no pcmasterace

Yes trade ins hurt devs there's no debating it online passes started as a direct result of people buying used games saying it doesn't is no different to saying piracy doesn't either way the devs/publishers don't see a cent and with trade ins/second hand games you become gamestops/EB games bitch. In Australia at least you're lucky to get more then $15-20au back on games less then a week old that often retail for up to $110 so aren't cheaper at all and they don't have the crazy sales that PC gamers get either. You seem to think PC's don't have physical media anymore or something PC can install from disc(I have 2 optical drives for a reason) just as easily as you can on console faster with a good ssd if you're so worried about time, consoles also get stuck with large downloads the same as PC does.

I never said consoles didn't have their upsides you're imagining that in fact I said they did and you just failed to name their biggest strengths.

There are plenty of arguments that support pc being far superior to consoles in many many regards so long as you're not too stupid or simple to be able to use them such as less screaming kids, no stupid subscription just to play online when you already pay for your internet(adding $120 a year to the cost of the console) better graphics, better input support often resulting in a more realistic experience(HOTAS for example), game mods and customization,they're largely backward compatible, easy multi-screen gaming or multitasking. Not to mention all the none game related things PC's can do. I game on both but there's no arguing the fact PC is stronger platform overall. My pc spends only about 10% of its time on actually in games.

The biggest strength of console gaming is local multi-player which was enough reason for me to own them that and I have children consoles are perfect for children. Consoles actually require you to own a PC or other online device to make the most out of them (media streaming, setting up your router/internet, hell even setting up your online accounts and managing subscription can't be done from the consoles themselves)

They have their strengths and a reason for existing I didn't ever argue they didn't and pointed out multiple times that I own more then one of each and play on both console and PC you're not talking to a blind fanboy.