Ubisoft discovers source of low FPS in AC: Unity

ImBleu

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/ubisoft-has-discovered-acu-low-frame-rate-cause/

Source2: http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-185420-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Assassin_s_Creed_Unity_64633.jpg

Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed development team has been working around the clock since the launch of Unity in an effort to patch out a ton of issues players on all platforms have been facing. On the PC side, things have been pretty bad with low frame rate issues even on high end hardware-  there was even a super creepy ‘no face’ bug.

Fortunately, the no face bug has been fixed and Ubisoft discovered that it was only caused by two specific graphics cards. In an update on the AC: Unity live blog, Ubisoft said: “In both cases the issue is resolved with the application of the Day 1 patch (as well as all future patches). This should not be affecting any players who are allowing their game to be automatically patched as recommended with updates as they are released.”

Considering the recent allegations on Reddit of the supposed ex-ubisoft developer working 67+ hours a week, we can believe the whole "working around the clock thing". That is, in-between their Mining expeditions.

We can tell you that we have detected a distinct discrepancy between what we observed in the pre-launch versus post-launch environment. In spite of our testing, it looks like the instruction queue is becoming overloaded and impacting performance. We have several fixes we are exploring right now and will continue to update you with our progress of what is working and how quickly we can implement these fixes in the game in the weeks ahead. 

Looks like this might all be fixed soon - at least we can hope. if anyone still cares about AC:Unity that is.

Ubisoft plans to fix these by:

Meanwhile, we are looking at the following revisions that should improve framerate stability for all players: 

• Streamlining some technical aspects of navigation: We’ve fixed a number of edge cases with our detection system to smooth certain behaviors during parkour. We’ve fixed a few objects which were improperly tagged to smooth navigation.

• Improving task scheduling: We’ve tuned the way the computing tasks are prioritized and parallelized by the processor cores to improve framerate in certain edge cases. 

• Tweaking performance for Reach High Points: We’ve optimized the reach high points, during the camera swooping sequence to improve framerate a little bit. 

It seems like they understand 30fps isn't all its cracked up to be.

We hope to have further updates on this topic before the end of the week. 

Looks like it's going to be dealt with quite fast at least.

It seems like Ubisoft might be slowing down their digging operation -- But at least they're not blaming AMD anymore. Would've been nice to see an apology from them but hey, fixing the problems works too I guess.

(Checked - Couldn't find a repost)

EDIT: Fixed for Night theme.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

^ I can't even read that second quote...may wanna fix that..

/Highlight it, go to the color options in the post editor, click automatic.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The source: Shitty console ports & terrible optimization.

We all know that there was a 99.999% chance that they purposely made it run shittily on pc like they did.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

^ I can't even read that second quote...may wanna fix that..

I'm a night themer, I couldn't read it either. Quickly fixed it though - Should be good now.

"Ubisoft discovers source of low FPS in AC: Unity"

post-104353-0-11346700-1416404543.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I'm a night themer, I couldn't read it either. Quickly fixed it though - Should be good now.

Thanks man... Seriously had some trouble reading it without selecting it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

interesting.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well this is good news!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I like this. Thanks for posting

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Could things have gone differently if they used the Mantle API and not stick with DirectX11?

looks as if they shipped the game due to pressure from investor's thus didnt test it

As per the "Ex-Ubisoft Employee"'s accounts for life working at Ubisoft.

Could things have gone differently if they used the Mantle API and not stick with DirectX11?

You could use any API, but if your code is absolute shit, nothing's going to save it.

valve's better offf being a privetly owned company..... no pressure to ship shit

Im sure thats how Ubisoft started, then managers pressure the workers because they are being pressured. Its an endless cycle.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Source: "We are shit at making games it turns out"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

all they had to do was optimise and unity reviews would have been decent enough

Conspiracy theory: they injected the game with a scaling performance sink just enough to prevent streaming or let's play recordings from being made until they sucked out all the launch money, then 'fixing' it in a patch later.

Ubisoft are galaxy-leading assholes, after all. Surely, you can't put something like that past them.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It should have been done beforehand.

tumblr_mdjxtxhZrU1r9wybv.gif

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Possibly, depending on what's actually wrong. If it's an issue with draw calls, as Linus suggested in the WAN show I think, then Mantle might have been able to do a better job. But to be clear, that's not a fix—the game needs to work properly with DirectX.

The root of the problem, in my opinion, is that it's a game designed from the foundations around creating E3 trailers. If they didn't feel like their engine need to display up to 5,000 NPCs that add nothing of value to the gameplay, maybe it wouldn't have been so difficult to get it working on current hardware.

It seems like Ubisoft might be slowing down their digging operation -- But at least they're not blaming AMD anymore. Would've been nice to see an apology from them

they did apologize. Below was their statement.

"We apologize for any confusion and want to be clear that we are working with all of our hardware partners to address known issues that exist across various PC configurations,"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-unity-dev-working-furiously-to-fi/1100-6423611/

Ubisoft looked in a mirror?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Their whole "67" hour work week thing, if anyone had any brains to understand it, was well explained in the last bloody "shit on Ubisoft" thread.

They employ salaried workers who AGREED to go above full time hours for no additional pay (read: overtime) and they agreed to be called into work whenever Ubisoft needed them to. It's how salaried employees tend to work. They knew full well what they signed up for. That "employee spilling secrets" was more or less a moron for not understanding the very contract he signed.

Big thanks to all the beta testers out there!

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Good that their devs figured out a way to get better framerates. I hope it's good enough on the PC side.

its easy ubisoft take an extra 6-8months per title and get it right

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Their whole "67" hour work week thing, if anyone had any brains to understand it, was well explained in the last bloody "shit on Ubisoft" thread.

They employ salaried workers who AGREED to go above full time hours for no additional pay (read: overtime) and they agreed to be called into work whenever Ubisoft needed them to. It's how salaried employees tend to work. They knew full well what they signed up for. That "employee spilling secrets" was more or less a moron for not understanding the very contract he signed.

Just because they agreed to it, it doesn't make it excusable by any means. If your options are to agree to work overtime for no pay or to not have a job at all, guess what, you're going to "agree" whether you like it or not. I'm positive he fully understood his contract, he wasn't a moron for letting the world know that Ubisoft treats their developers like an expendable resource rather than human beings. Its a problem with the entire industry and the best thing you can do is let people know what they are supporting by buying games from developers like Ubisoft.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB