Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Well, Windows just decided to sneak a Preview build into my updates(Of which I can't decide no to install) and upon booting it informed me it decided for me that CPU-z no longer works and that it had decided to uninstall it without asking. And after disabling the comparability options mentioned a few pages back, I was able to re-install it and it works fine.

I didn't go through the trouble of doing a clean install of my retail licensed Windows 8 Pro and upgrade to 10 so I could just get thrown back into this "uninstall things without you permission" shit.

My experience so far? It's great ...

/s

post-119212-0-61603200-1448017228_thumb.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Hey, those of you who have been using Win10 for a while now. Has battery performance improved any bit from when it was released? I could previously only get around 40 minutes while browsing in Chrome. I went back to windows 8.1. Have things changed to the better and is it worth updating again?.

Java and fullstack web developer (JS). PM if you need major critical level support.

Beginners, please learn to debug your programs! --- If you're posting code, please use code tags!

Hey, those of you who have been using Win10 for a while now. Has battery performance improved any bit from when it was released? I could previously only get around 40 minutes while browsing in Chrome. I went back to windows 8.1. Have things changed to the better and is it worth updating again?.

Battery life has improved. But it was not really Windows 10 fault, more on the side crappy drivers (Intel being the mass culprit).

• 2 weeks later...

Should I upgrade a c2d 2gb mem laptop from 7 to 10?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

well windows 10 will probably run about the same on 10 as in 7, i have a E6600 C2D with 4GB and it handles windows 10 without an issue, you may want to get another 2GB if you can.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Make sure your cpu supports the NX bit or whatever Intel calls it. Last I checked, it was required for 8 or higher.

Now it says that my battery doesn't work correctly or whatever instead of 0% charging lol :)

Now it says that my battery doesn't work correctly or whatever instead of 0% charging lol :)

Have you tried shutting down, removing the battery, plugging in the power cord, booting, letting it load everything, checking the battery status, then shutting down, removing the power cord, re-inserting the battery, re-inserting the power cord, leaving it plugged in long enough to charge, removing the power cord, then trying to boot?

If it successfully tries to boot on battery, it probably means the battery is fine, but if as soon as Windows loads, something happens(sleep, hibernate, power off), that may means windows thinks the battery percentage is lower than 5% anyway.

Have you tried shutting down, removing the battery, plugging in the power cord, booting, letting it load everything, checking the battery status, then shutting down, removing the power cord, re-inserting the battery, re-inserting the power cord, leaving it plugged in long enough to charge, removing the power cord, then trying to boot?

If it successfully tries to boot on battery, it probably means the battery is fine, but if as soon as Windows loads, something happens(sleep, hibernate, power off), that may means windows thinks the battery percentage is lower than 5% anyway.

I was joking my laptop is 5 years old the battery is completely dead it lasts like 1-2 minutes when completely charged ;)

I do have 1 problem I can't solve... My WiFi is broken after windows 10 November update... I mean it connects and it works perfectly but after 15 minutes or so I don't know I loose internet access windows says I'm connected but chrome gives a DNS error and when gaming I lose connection to the server...

I can solve this temporarily by turning the WiFi adapter off and on

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ? Can you ping your router? Can you ping your closest device with an ip address? google.com ? 8.8.8.8 ?

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ? Can you ping your router? Can you ping your closest device with an ip address? google.com ? 8.8.8.8 ?

Do you mean when it doesn't work? Because it works for the most part... (I can't access any site when it stops working I didn't try to ping)

I'll try this weekend.

And I'm pretty sure it's driver related but there aren't any drivers for my laptop for windows 10...

I fixed it :) Windows installed a Windows 8 driver from 2013...

I downloaded some driver update program (I know I shouldn't do that :) )

and it said it was out of date and mentioned a version number so I googled it and found some site (station-drivers.com) with the most recent driver and installed that (I had to manually install it because there was no installer and it was signed by broadcom)

I installed windows 10 on a fresh 1TB ssd. This was via a upgrade running off my 2x240GB raid0 win8.1

Ran off win 10 on the C:/ drive via the new samsung1TB for awhile.

Always had the raid0 as D:/ while using 10, in order to transfer files I wanted to keep.

I them removed the 2x240GB, which even could simulate a drive failure for if anyone else has installed windows 10 similarly, but wasn't going to remove the old os drive.

What has happened is the drive where windows is installed is locked.
It continues to say 'Unlock the drive and try again.'

So far I have tried reinstalling a Windows 7 on a sole ssd, leaving 10 ssd alone.

Still can't boot into 10

Trying a USB 10 install on that drive now.

What would you attempt to do in order to re-access the win 10 you ran since upgrade?

UPDATE:

Can see files on upgrade 10, running the newly installed 10.

Removed the new 10 ssd

U.10 won't boot.

Booting 10 from install USB with N.10 still out. Going to try n repair.

UPDATE:

bcdboot C:/ failed to copy bootfiles.

Wonder if copying boot files from raid0 would boot U.10, but to simulate a drive failed of win8.1
Could copying N.10 boot files to U.10drive boot the U.10 os?

UPDATE:

bcdboot E:/windows \d

I'm learning the cmd codes kinda on the fly. So I hope to eventually copy N.10 boot files to E:/ being it's the U.10 drive, while still saving U.10's boot files just in case.

UPDATE:

bcdboot E:p windows /d /l C:\windows
Files copy success. Now I have two win 10 to boot from. Ones N.10 and the others U.10 both from their respective drive.

I have booted into U.10 off of its 1TB drive, while N.10 ssd is in Pc, yet win8.1 raid0 is still removed.

So far a success

UPDATE:

So far every boot up requires you to choose which boot file to load, even tho only os drive in PC is U.10

Guess now I should see if I can erase the N.10 boot file from the U.10 drive, yet keep still be able to boot into os. Or maybe I should do it from the os cmd prompt instead.

UPDATE:

U.10 os cmd failed to execute
bcdboot c:\windows /s e: /f BIOS

I'm trying USB boot cmd to soo if it executes. If not I'll try UEFI

That command worked via USB boot
But Booting now with N.10drive removed I bluescreen to file:\windows\system32\winload.exe

UPDATE:

F9 from BS allowed me to choose which boot file to boot from.
Booted into U.10
Still wonder how I can remove N.10 boot file from U.10drive while still maintaining U.10boot

UPDATE:

I can't find a file resembling 'boot .ini' in c:\windows to remove other boot options. Like one could in the good old xp days.

Wonder if I can within the UEFI as a posed to just defaulting U.10boot and hiding N.10boot.

UPDATE:

Used
System-Advance System Settings [Advance tab] (Startup and Recover block section - Settings) 
Than chose correct bootfile and 0second (uncheck boot time till default)

Yes its a temporary solution that'll probably end up being permanent, but hey brains exhausted. Can't figure out how to remove other bootloader files without using boot .ini in notepad and deleting unwanted options.

NAME: HAF Satlite MOBO: ASUS Maximus Extreme-Z IV CPU: i5 3570K 4.4GHz 1.256V GPU: ASUS 1080Founders RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600MHz 7-8-8-24 PSU: EVGA 750W Gold STORAGE: 1TB Samsung Evo | 4x4TB WD Green Raid10 OS: 10 x64 Pro COOLING: Custom 360rad CPU under water soon GPU too

NAME: Node Box Server MOBO: Intel DB55SB CPU: i5 750 GPU: ASUS 560DC OC 1GB RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMP 1333MHz PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Bronze STORAGE: 90GB Corsair FORCE Jails| 5x4TB WD Raidz2 60GB Corsair Force Cache OS: Freenas COOLING: Back to Stock

I installed windows 10 on a fresh 1TB ssd. This was via a upgrade running off my 2x240GB raid0 win8.1

Ran off win 10 on the C:/ drive via the new samsung1TB for awhile.

Always had the raid0 as D:/ while using 10, in order to transfer files I wanted to keep.

I them removed the 2x240GB, which even could simulate a drive failure for if anyone else has installed windows 10 similarly, but wasn't going to remove the old os drive.

What has happened is the drive where windows is installed is locked.

It continues to say 'Unlock the drive and try again.'

So far I have tried reinstalling a Windows 7 on a sole ssd, leaving 10 ssd alone.

Still can't boot into 10

Trying a USB 10 install on that drive now.

What would you attempt to do in order to re-access the win 10 you ran since upgrade?

UPDATE:

Can see files on upgrade 10, running the newly installed 10.

Removed the new 10 ssd

U.10 won't boot.

Booting 10 from install USB with N.10 still out. Going to try n repair.

UPDATE:

bcdboot C:/ failed to copy bootfiles.

Wonder if copying boot files from raid0 would boot U.10, but to simulate a drive failed of win8.1

Could copying N.10 boot files to U.10drive boot the U.10 os?

UPDATE:

bcdboot E:/windows \d

I'm learning the cmd codes kinda on the fly. So I hope to eventually copy N.10 boot files to E:/ being it's the U.10 drive, while still saving U.10's boot files just in case.

UPDATE:

bcdboot E:p windows /d /l C:\windows

Files copy success. Now I have two win 10 to boot from. Ones N.10 and the others U.10 both from their respective drive.

I have booted into U.10 off of its 1TB drive, while N.10 ssd is in Pc, yet win8.1 raid0 is still removed.

So far a success

UPDATE:

So far every boot up requires you to choose which boot file to load, even tho only os drive in PC is U.10

Guess now I should see if I can erase the N.10 boot file from the U.10 drive, yet keep still be able to boot into os. Or maybe I should do it from the os cmd prompt instead.

UPDATE:

U.10 os cmd failed to execute

bcdboot c:\windows /s e: /f BIOS

I'm trying USB boot cmd to soo if it executes. If not I'll try UEFI

That command worked via USB boot

But Booting now with N.10drive removed I bluescreen to file:\windows\system32\winload.exe

UPDATE:

F9 from BS allowed me to choose which boot file to boot from.

Booted into U.10

Still wonder how I can remove N.10 boot file from U.10drive while still maintaining U.10boot

UPDATE:

I can't find a file resembling 'boot .ini' in c:\windows to remove other boot options. Like one could in the good old xp days.

Wonder if I can within the UEFI as a posed to just defaulting U.10boot and hiding N.10boot.

UPDATE:

Used

System-Advance System Settings [Advance tab] (Startup and Recover block section - Settings)

Than chose correct bootfile and 0second (uncheck boot time till default)

Yes its a temporary solution that'll probably end up being permanent, but hey brains exhausted. Can't figure out how to remove other bootloader files without using boot .ini in notepad and deleting unwanted options.

I have seriously no idea what you did... I can't understand it.

What are you trying to do?

If I had any problems (because I can't find out what your problem is) I would just wipe the whole system.

I have seriously no idea what you did... I can't understand it.

What are you trying to do?

If I had any problems (because I can't find out what your problem is) I would just wipe the whole system.

what I ended up doing is getting a freshly installed win10 bootfiles saved onto the windows 10 ssd that I been rocking since i upgraded.

wasnt about to whipe. I have windows 10 set the way i want it.. wanted that back. 

NAME: HAF Satlite MOBO: ASUS Maximus Extreme-Z IV CPU: i5 3570K 4.4GHz 1.256V GPU: ASUS 1080Founders RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600MHz 7-8-8-24 PSU: EVGA 750W Gold STORAGE: 1TB Samsung Evo | 4x4TB WD Green Raid10 OS: 10 x64 Pro COOLING: Custom 360rad CPU under water soon GPU too

NAME: Node Box Server MOBO: Intel DB55SB CPU: i5 750 GPU: ASUS 560DC OC 1GB RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMP 1333MHz PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Bronze STORAGE: 90GB Corsair FORCE Jails| 5x4TB WD Raidz2 60GB Corsair Force Cache OS: Freenas COOLING: Back to Stock

what I ended up doing is getting a freshly installed win10 bootfiles saved onto the windows 10 ssd that I been rocking since i upgraded.

wasnt about to whipe. I have windows 10 set the way i want it.. wanted that back.

Ok :)

So microsoft has decided to do an automatic update overnight  :angry:

After the update it decided to remove Avast Endpoint and install Defender!!

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

So microsoft has decided to do an automatic update overnight  :angry:

After the update it decided to remove Avast Endpoint and install Defender!!

That was probably Windows 10 Threshold 2 (TH2) that you got. Yes. As it is a massive update, a whole OS upgarde (basically SP1 of Windows 10), to not have users experience the same issue it always happened with Service Pack or OS upgrades, where sum software or driver blocks the whole thing, now it just remove it, and goes "too bad". Probably to push developers to get their stuff right. It would be nice however if it tells you either before starting the process, or at the end ("Sorry, in order to upgrade Windows 10, the following software was removed:" type of message).

I recently had my taskbar stop working by not showing apps, not loading tray, and menu/search refusing to open then after update back to normal...weird

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

Windows 10 to the path of Redstone out now for insiders.

No information on what is new yet, waiting for Microsoft post.

Apparently there will be Redstone (July 2016) and Redstone 2 (end of year 2016), much like Threshold

So this build doesn't have anything new to the front end, just back end, and core stuff changes.

It means expects bugs and issues, even potentially stability issues, and you won't have anything new to play with.

If you are having issues, don't expect a fix until beginning/mid Jan, as most of Microsoft employees go on vacation at the end of the week.

So this build doesn't have anything new to the front end, just back end, and core stuff changes.

It means expects bugs and issues, even potentially stability issues, and you won't have anything new to play with.

If you are having issues, don't expect a fix until beginning/mid Jan, as most of Microsoft employees go on vacation at the end of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXAafgCpOI

Any interesting build traits in terms of core changes?

• 3 weeks later...

I just built my first custom pc and when I went to download Windows 64 bit it says my computer can't open this file(keep in mind I already downloaded 32bit) I have 8gb of ram and have a x64 based processor and it says I have 8gb of ram but only 2 are usable. Please help!!