Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Did anyone figure out a way top stop Windows from "blocking" programs from running?

Those are programs that caused problems with Windows 10.

Get the latest version of it, and it should work.

No sorry. I am waiting for something more substantial to return to: The World of Abnormalities!

Those are programs that caused problems with Windows 10.

Get the latest version of it, and it should work.

So, if windows finds out a program causes problems with the OS, it can stop me from installing it? Well, I sure hope they don't abuse that and start deciding what programs I can and can't use</sarcasm>

So, if windows finds out a program causes problems with the OS, it can stop me from installing it? Well, I sure hope they don't abuse that and start deciding what programs I can and can't use</sarcasm>

Nha. The blocked list has been done before while the OS was in early beta.

I have seen some software being updated and now works with Win10.

Nha. The blocked list has been done before while the OS was in early beta.

I have seen some software being updated and now works with Win10.

"Some"? And the software being updated? That's great, unless the software isn't currently being maintained.

You can turn off the Application Compatibility Engine and Program Compatibility Assistant in the Local Group Policy:

1. Press Win+R
  2. Run gpedit.msc
  3. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility
  4. Enable these two options:
    • Turn off Application Compatibility Engine
    • Turn off Program Compatibility Assistant

ng3eh.png

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/499609/how-to-bypass-program-compatibility-assistant-in-windows-8

Note: This worked in Win 8.x Note sure if it will work in Win 10, but you can try and let us know.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You can turn off the Application Compatibility Engine and Program Compatibility Assistant in the Local Group Policy:

1. Press Win+R
  2. Run gpedit.msc
  3. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility
  4. Enable these two options:
    • Turn off Application Compatibility Engine
    • Turn off Program Compatibility Assistant

ng3eh.png

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/499609/how-to-bypass-program-compatibility-assistant-in-windows-8

Note: This worked in Win 8.x Note sure if it will work in Win 10, but you can try and let us know.

Why can I only like this post once? Mods, please fix this bug.

Have they removed the text saying it's insider preview?

For the RTM build yes. For the insider previews, no.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

For the RTM build yes. For the insider previews, no.

What's rtm?

I had the insider preview and I got an update today and it looked like I got the full w10, the text that says it was an insider preview is gone.

I had to accept some license agreements and so on, could I have gotten w10 full?

What's rtm?

I had the insider preview and I got an update today and it looked like I got the full w10, the text that says it was an insider preview is gone.

I had to accept some license agreements and so on, could I have gotten w10 full?

RTM = Release to Market. That would be build 10240. It doesn't have a watermark.

The latest insider preview is build 10532 and does have a watermark.

RTM = Release to Market. That would be build 10240. It doesn't have a watermark.

The latest insider preview is build 10532 and does have a watermark.

Technically, RTM means Release to Manufacturing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#RTM

Usually we call the public release as GA (General Availability), but in the case of Windows 10, it is both, as any bug fixes and changes, are delivered via Windows Update instead of making a new build. And I think this was true for Win7 and Win8 as well.

Technically, RTM means Release to Manufacturing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#RTM

Usually we call the public release as GA (General Availability), but in the case of Windows 10, it is both, as any bug fixes and changes, are delivered via Windows Update instead of making a new build. And I think this was true for Win7 and Win8 as well.

Oops. I always incorrectly say "market" instead of manufacturing. And yes, you're right. Build 10240 is both RTM and GA.

In the past RTM usually meant OEMs could now image machines with the build while GA meant the OS was available as an retail license directly to consumers.

Microsoft has been spicing things up with WIndows 10, and that's not the case anymore.

so I have the option to upgrade to windows 10 but im scared... i understand I dont have a whole lot to lose since im running 8.1 already but maybe someone who is in the know can make a sticky containing a list of pro's and con's and maybe a list of must do's once upgraded you know to limit the spying and such.

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

The spying is only a con against 10 in comparison to 8.1 if the spying is worse on the former.

yeah but is there anything like a top 10 things to do as soon as you upgrade?

also is it possible to upgrade and then go back to 8.1 *shudders* if i dont like the upgrade?

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

so I have the option to upgrade to windows 10 but im scared... i understand I dont have a whole lot to lose since im running 8.1 already but maybe someone who is in the know can make a sticky containing a list of pro's and con's and maybe a list of must do's once upgraded you know to limit the spying and such.

It really depends on the hardware you have, and the quality of the drivers you have. Also, laptops, be prepared to have reduced battery life, especially if you have Intel integrated graphics, and strange issues like the touchpad not not scrolling on Windows Apps, and Start Menu, depending on the model of the touchpad. Some works fantastically well.

The biggest problem comes down to special hardware, that is old. Drivers might takes a long time for them to come, and you probably have to hunt them down. Like for example the above example, with some touchpad of laptops, Dell, Acer, HP, etc.. won't put on their website the latest drivers as the system is too old, and not provide Windows 10 support because of that, so you need to do your own digging.

For chipset, wireless card, SATA Controller, graphics card, sound, etc. It should be fine, with some rare exceptions.

If Windows 10 is not working right, you can always revert back to Windows 8 within the first 30 days of your upgrade. Like there is a button that you can click, which will downgrade Windows 10 back to Windows 8 as everything was, and it works pretty darn well, especially if you don't do much under Windows 10.

The only steps you need to do is:

-> Upgrade your drivers for all your system to the latest version for Windows 8 (on rare cases, some specific drivers have been reporting of failing the upgrade process at some stage. So to avoid this, update all your drivers, to have the issue resolved)

-> Uninstall any security software (A/V, Anti-Malware, Firewall, etc). Obviously Windows Defender, which you can't remove, is fine, and same for Windows built-in firewall.

The spying is only a con against 10 in comparison to 8.1 if the spying is worse on the former.

There is no spying. We went over this, and there is some sites that actually covered it all showing that this is not the case, and explaining how things works. But saying "it is spying!" gets more clicks.

It really depends on the hardware you have, and the quality of the drivers you have. Also, laptops, be prepared to have reduced battery life, especially if you have Intel integrated graphics, and strange issues like the touchpad not not scrolling on Windows Apps, and Start Menu, depending on the model of the touchpad. Some works fantastically well.

The biggest problem comes down to special hardware, that is old. Drivers might takes a long time for them to come, and you probably have to hunt them down. Like for example the above example, with some touchpad of laptops, Dell, Acer, HP, etc.. won't put on their website the latest drivers as the system is too old, and not provide Windows 10 support because of that, so you need to do your own digging.

For chipset, wireless card, SATA Controller, graphics card, sound, etc. It should be fine, with some rare exceptions.

If Windows 10 is not working right, you can always revert back to Windows 8 within the first 30 days of your upgrade. Like there is a button that you can click, which will downgrade Windows 10 back to Windows 8 as everything was, and it works pretty darn well, especially if you don't do much under Windows 10.

The only steps you need to do is:

-> Upgrade your drivers for all your system to the latest version for Windows 8 (on rare cases, some specific drivers have been reporting of failing the upgrade process at some stage. So to avoid this, update all your drivers, to have the issue resolved)

-> Uninstall any security software (A/V, Anti-Malware, Firewall, etc). Obviously Windows Defender, which you can't remove, is fine, and same for Windows built-in firewall.

hardware is listed in my signature... anything there stand out that might have issues... and all drivers are already fully up to date

hardware is listed in my signature... anything there stand out that might have issues... and all drivers are already fully up to date

Of course, I don't know all the hardware. But I see nothing that can cause a problem. At worst, sleep might have problem, and would requires some digging and depending on the problem see if you can fix it, or have to wait for newer drivers. And maybe, just maybe, Killer LAN stuff might not be working right yet... but that is only a guess. Maybe you might need to look at the Killer website for the latest Windows 10 software/drivers.

Upsides from Windows 8, are well Windows 10 new features, which you most likely know about: new Start Menu, multiple desktop, new alt+tab/win+tab, action center (which will probably grow to be more useful over time), a bit snappier, etc. No your games won't have this massive performance increase. Should be the same or a minor improvement.

There is no spying. We went over this, and there is some sites that actually covered it all showing that this is not the case, and explaining how things works. But saying "it is spying!" gets more clicks.

Which is why I made a comparative statement instead of a definite statement.

Which is why I made a comparative statement instead of a definite statement.

Ahh! Sorry!

im on wireless right now just installed brand new edimax ac wireless adapter and installed latest driver for it today so not too worried about killer nic so much

im on wireless right now just installed brand new edimax ac wireless adapter and installed latest driver for it today so not too worried about killer nic so much

One obvious tip...install 10 ,store the new install key after activating ,then clean install(you could save a lot of problems)

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but in the latest insider build, I noticed a change with OneDrive and taking print screens:

QvZdpvW.png

It seems that using the printscreen button on the keyboard triggers OneDrive to automatically save the capture as an PNG file in your OneDrive account. The files are stored under: "\OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots"

yjvNNvF.png

That's a new nifty feature! No more pulling up the snipping tool when you want a full screen capture, its just 1 keyboard click.

I'm not sure if this applies to Windows 8.1 as well or if it's only in the latest Windows 10 insider build. Anyone want to check this out and see?