Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
  • 2 weeks later...

New Windows 10 Build (Build 14328)!

It features:

-> The new inking options showed at BUILD, including the new ruler.

-> New start menu!

-> The new improved Action Center.

-> Lock screen now has playback controls including album art.

-> You can now hide your e-mail from the lock screen for security.

-> Clock/Calendar (the panel that shows when you press on the system time), now ties with Windows Calendar App.

windowsink-24.0.jpg

start.0.png

actioncenter.0.png

calendartaskbar.0.png

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/22/11486224/microsoft-windows-10-ink-features-test

Wait there is more:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/22/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14328-for-pc-and-mobile/

Cortana on lock screen:

blog_post_listening-1024x576.png

Search now looks through OneDrive

Action Center icon now shows notification count

Taskbar Badging for UWP apps:

taskbar-badging-1024x133.png

Manage multiple audio source:

taskbar-audio-output.png

New gesture for touchpads to switch virtual desktop

UAC dialog box updated:

new-UAC.png

new_cred-ui-901x1024.png

And more!!!!

Microsoft says that from now on, they'll focus on big fixes. So don't expect much new features after this update

Coming soon: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Bug Bash!

As part of the culture here at Microsoft, we like to dedicate certain days and have everyone in the team spend the time focused on finding new unreported issues. We call this a “Bug Bash.” We are kicking off a Bug Bash inside the Windows and Devices Group next week and we’d like to invite you to join us! A large amount of the feedback we have already is from Windows Insiders so we thought it was appropriate to include you in our upcoming Bug Bash as well. Next week we will have 4 days of multiple Quests inside the Feedback Hub that will highlight different areas of the product each day. We will be looking for feedback on each quests or whatever part of Windows and our apps you are most passionate about. We will have more details to share with you next week, so keep your eye on the Feedback Hub or follow me on Twitter for news.

Froooooom downtown Redmond heeeeres The Microsoft New Windows 10 Build Show!

With your host, Mr. Build 14332

Bug Bash begins!

With this new build today for PC and Mobile – we’re officially kicking off the Bug Bash with Windows Insiders we mentioned last week. Over the course of the next 4 days, we will be publishing multiple Quests inside Feedback Hub that will highlight different areas of the product each day. We will be looking for feedback on each Quest, but you can also just use the parts of Windows and our apps you are most passionate about – the key is just to work together now through Sunday to get the best bug reports possible!

The Quests that you will see for the Bug Bash are not traditional Quests that list steps of trying a feature or scenario out. Many of them are open ended intentionally so that you can perform the steps that come naturally to you in order to finish the Quest and give us feedback on it. Many of them also list more than one scenario that can be tried out to finish the Quest. All the Quests for the Bug Bash will lead back to Feedback Hub so that you can upvote existing feedback or give new feedback based on your experience of completing the Quest. Please make sure to search for existing feedback to upvote before entering a new report.

We are also doing a few different types of Quests:

LIMITED TIME Quests: Quests marked as “LIMITED TIME” will expire within 24hrs of being published so make sure you get to these before the time runs out and they’re replaced with new Quests.

ADVANCED Quests: Quests marked as “ADVANCED” are more technical and may require changing the system configuration on your device and require an understanding on how to revert the changes after the Quest is done. You should only perform Quests that you feel comfortable doing, if something goes wrong you’ll need to be able to troubleshoot how to get back to a good state on your PC.

After you get this new build installed, open up Feedback Hub and get started. We’re REALLY excited about being able to include you for the first time on something that is part of our internal engineering culture at Microsoft. As I’ve been talking to people all week, I keep seeing big smiles and lots of excitement as people talk about how awesome it is to include Insiders as part of our activities. We hope you have fun as well, and send us some great bug reports. For more information on this week’s Bug Bash – see this post in Feedback Hub from Mike Fortin.

Here is what is news:

-> Many users (including myself) the new Bash command had networking issues, making unable to go on the web. Now, that is fixed (Well I have yet to download it and install it, so hopefully)

-> Cortana can now search Office 365 (This feature no longer works due to server-side issues which Microsoft is working on)

-> Improved Battery Life for Connected Standby PC’s

Here is what is fixed:

Here’s what’s fixed for PC

• We fixed the issue causing some PCs to bluescreen (bug check) when entering Connected Standby after updating to the latest build from the Development Branch.
  • We fixed the issue where some large downloads may appear to get stuck at 99% completion in Microsoft Edge.
  • We fixed an issue which made it look like you couldn’t drag and drop to reorder your favorites on the Favorites Bar.
  • We fixed the issue causing Groove Music to crash on launch at the splash screen.
  • We fixed an issue where adding a song to Groove Music’s Now Playing list might cause the current song to stop playing and start over.
  • We fixed the issue where PCs are unable to go back to a previous Insider Preview build via “Go back to an earlier build” under Settings > Update & security > Recovery if they have BitLocker/Device Encryption enabled.
  • We’ve made improvements to the share UI for Cortana Reminders. The experience is much more polished now.
  • We improved reliability of the Chinese IME.
  • Going forward (from this build), apps for which you’ve selected “Show windows from this app on all desktops” will be remembered after you update to a new build.
  • We fixed an issue where the taskbar’s overflow tray for notification area (systray) icons was not being padded correctly for certain multi-monitor setups.
  • We fixed an issue where the Game Bar would not appear if the DPI had been changed from 150% to 100%.
  • We fixed an issue where notifications with more content sometimes could not be expanded in the Action Center.
  • We fixed an issue where tiles on the Start menu might flash at the wrong size after exiting tablet mode.
  • We fixed an issue where the battery icon in the notification area might display incorrectly after a DPI change.
  • We fixed an issue where clicking on the “X” button on a window in Task View removed the thumbnail, but the title and X button would still be shown.
  • When an app is displayed in the Start menu with the name “@{<app package name>}”), there will now be an option to uninstall it.
  • We fixed an issue where re-directed folder Libraries would appear as duplicate folder entries in the File Explorer navigation pane.
  • We fixed an issue for multi-monitor users, where launching a desktop (Win32) app from Start would result in the full screen video being played on the other monitor getting minimized.
  • We fixed an issue where the Settings app would crash if you tried to pin a settings page to Start.
  • We fixed an issue where opening Windows Defender from the Settings app would fail.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in blurry and/or overlapped text in Start’s All apps list.
  • We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard might not come up in the password field after you switched users on the Lock screen.
  • We fixed an issue where Windows Spotlight wouldn’t remember if you had already said you liked that image the last time you locked your PC.

Full blog post: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/26/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14332/

Build 14332 feedback

- When I applied this update it kept giving me the below error, which required a BIOS reset - appeared to be something to do with having Intel RAID running, even though the SSD was the primary bootable device. The update got stuck on 92% and wouldn't complete so had to rollback and do it again - with the RAID enabled it gave the same error, disabled the RAID and it could boot.

ncn0clkq.y13.png

- The UAC prompts have been updated to fit the Windows 10 theme

eqp1ke4i.wyu.png

- The Action Centre now has its own icon to the left of the system tray - and layout has changed

odzeqtms.lay.png

- The Start Menu now shows by default the 'All Programs' menu, which has broken my tile layout somewhat. Doesnt appear to be any way to change this back in the Start settings.

sus2zz0f.23k.png

- This build returned the Store & Edge icons into my taskbar - you can easily unpin them of course.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Okay so I want to get Insider builds going again, but from my experience from the past year and a half, everything seems to go to shit all at once, like a time bomb. It only happens with Insider builds, as I've tested.

If I run a normal Windows 10 Pro license, everything is smooth as silk, no bugs or errors. But when I start getting Insider builds, the bugs and glitches and stuff get worse with every new build, like something is wrong. Stuff like my icons will disappear on their own, the Start Menu crashes and I can't press any of the buttons, File Explorer makes my PC extremely laggy, etc etc (literally there are too many small bugs that happen to name them all, and they gradually start appearing).

I really do want to have Insider builds because the features are so awesome and I do like beta testing, but I don't want to have to wipe my SSD every month or so because the bugs get so bad that I can't use it anymore and/or it frustrates me to the point that I wipe the drive.

Any ideas on what's causing it and what I can do to keep Insider builds but not flood my system with bugs that no one else has (grr)? Is there a way to clean install an Insider build? I have a feeling it has something to do with the upgrade process and Windows Update.

They've progressed so much since I've wiped my drive, I don't have any of that cool stuff anymore :( Just regular old Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Okay so I want to get Insider builds going again, but from my experience from the past year and a half, everything seems to go to shit all at once, like a time bomb. It only happens with Insider builds, as I've tested.

So wait for the next build, maybe next week.

If I run a normal Windows 10 Pro license, everything is smooth as silk, no bugs or errors. But when I start getting Insider builds, the bugs and glitches and stuff get worse with every new build, like something is wrong. Stuff like my icons will disappear on their own, the Start Menu crashes and I can't press any of the buttons, File Explorer makes my PC extremely laggy, etc etc (literally there are too many small bugs that happen to name them all, and they gradually start appearing).

This happened to be once in the early days, never happened since. But of course, my experience doesn't represents everyone. I did have some issues with apps being removed but sill there in the Start Menu.. but playing around with the uninstall and install from the Store again, and uninstall, did the trick, after upgrading to a newer build that had this bug solved. The bug initially was mentioned in the "known problems" list, I just forgot, and after I did what I did I was like "oooooohh yeeaaa, crap... oh well", and like I said next build, played with install/uninstall, and fixed.

I really do want to have Insider builds because the features are so awesome and I do like beta testing, but I don't want to have to wipe my SSD every month or so because the bugs get so bad that I can't use it anymore and/or it frustrates me to the point that I wipe the drive.

I doubt it at this stage.

Any ideas on what's causing it and what I can do to keep Insider builds but not flood my system with bugs that no one else has (grr)? Is there a way to clean install an Insider build? I have a feeling it has something to do with the upgrade process and Windows Update.

Personally I don't, especially that this was a while ago, and I don't know which build you were on, making it hard to know.

They've progressed so much since I've wiped my drive, I don't have any of that cool stuff anymore :( Just regular old Windows 10.

Ha! I feel the same when I use my computer at work (run Win10 official).

38 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Wow, really impressed with your Start Menu \o/

It just uses this app to customise it :)https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/steam-tile/9wzdncrfhzkv

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So wait for the next build, maybe next week.

This happened to be once in the early days, never happened since. But of course, my experience doesn't represents everyone. I did have some issues with apps being removed but sill there in the Start Menu.. but playing around with the uninstall and install from the Store again, and uninstall, did the trick, after upgrading to a newer build that had this bug solved. The bug initially was mentioned in the "known problems" list, I just forgot, and after I did what I did I was like "oooooohh yeeaaa, crap... oh well", and like I said next build, played with install/uninstall, and fixed.

I doubt it at this stage.

Personally I don't, especially that this was a while ago, and I don't know which build you were on, making it hard to know.

Ha! I feel the same when I use my computer at work (run Win10 official).

Well I had reinstalled Windows just a few weeks ago, so it wasn't that recent that it started pooping itself. I'm going to go ahead and start getting Insider Builds again, hopefully this nonsense doesn't happen again.

Ad Block, and Ad Block Plus Edge extension are now available!

You must be on the latest Fast ring build to access it, you can get it from the Windows 10 Store.

Ad Block:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/app/9nblggh4rfhk?tduid=(b1f8b77a64f9f8c6c0d648372f77814f)(213688)(2795219)()()

Ad Block Plus:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/app/9nblggh4r9nz?tduid=(b1f8b77a64f9f8c6c0d648372f77814f)(213688)(2795219)()()

@GoodBytes I trusted you man, I joined the Insider program again. I just installed the latest build and it wreaked havoc on my system :( Half of everything was gone, everything froze, I was lucky enough to get back to normal Windows 10 and not have any of my stuff lost....

Everything looked so cool until it went to shit.... WHY MICROSOFT? WHY?!!

Edit: And there's AdBlock for Edge now?! WHY MUST THIS HAPPEN TO ME, I'm literally crying right now. WHY THE F*CK WON'T INSIDER BUILDS WORK FOR SH*T ON MY PC?!

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

@GoodBytes I trusted you man, I joined the Insider program again. I just installed the latest build and it wreaked havoc on my system :( Half of everything was gone, everything froze, I was lucky enough to get back to normal Windows 10 and not have any of my stuff lost....

Edit: And there's AdBlock for Edge now?! WHY MUST THIS HAPPEN TO ME, I'm literally crying right now. WHY THE F*CK WON'T INSIDER BUILDS WORK FOR SH*T ON MY PC?!

Works fine on my laptop. Been on insider builds since day 1.

Maybe there's just an bad driver or other compatability issue with you PC? Did you get any BSODs?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

6 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Works fine on my laptop. Been on insider builds since day 1.

Maybe there's just an bad driver or other compatability issue with you PC? Did you get any BSODs?

No, not a single error. It's like it didn't copy files and just skipped them so it never displayed any text or icons or buttons in the first place. I'm going to try one more time, maybe I interrupted something when it was downloading the update or something. If it doesn't work this time then I'm staying with the default Windows 10 Pro config, which sucks.

8 hours ago, byalexandr said:

So sorry to hear dude. :(

It has been running great on all my 2 systems that have it.

I am wondering if you'll have the same issues with the official build. If you have a spare HDD that is not used and you don't mind formatting. This is what I would do:

You can download the latest insider build as ISO, and clean install your system to that build fresh and clean. If it does work fine, then plan to probably need a clean install of Windows 10 on your real main HDD/SSD. If not, make sure your BIOS/UEFI is fully updated, and that you have the latest drivers for everything. Remove any peripherals, and extra hardware that is not needed, including printer (keep mouse and keyboard obviously), see if it gets better (reboot).

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

No, not a single error. It's like it didn't copy files and just skipped them so it never displayed any text or icons or buttons in the first place. I'm going to try one more time, maybe I interrupted something when it was downloading the update or something. If it doesn't work this time then I'm staying with the default Windows 10 Pro config, which sucks.

Do you have an A/V installed? Is your HDD/SSD health all good, is your RAM good (not faulty)?

Do you have the latest SATA controller drivers? Did you try using Windows built-in generic SATA controller drivers?

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So sorry to hear dude. :(

It has been running great on all my 2 systems that have it.

I am wondering if you'll have the same issues with the official build. If you have a spare HDD that is not used and you don't mind formatting. This is what I would do:

You can download the latest insider build as ISO, and clean install your system to that build fresh and clean. If it does work fine, then plan to probably need a clean install of Windows 10 on your real main HDD/SSD. If not, make sure your BIOS/UEFI is fully updated, and that you have the latest drivers for everything. Remove any peripherals, and extra hardware that is not needed, including printer (keep mouse and keyboard obviously), see if it gets better (reboot).

How do I do that? I could only find the official release copy, which is a tool that downloads an ISO for you.

And I did restart, multiple times actually because it kept freezing up. But it kept having the same bugs, so luckily I was barely able to navigate the settings app and go back to my earlier build that I had originally. I think Edge was the most problematic, as it was the one that wreaked havoc the most (because I was excited for AdBlock).

Edit: I found the ISO files but I don't have an extra HDD nor do I want to wipe my files on my SSD (it takes days for all of my games and applications to be re-downloaded).

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Do you have an A/V installed? Is your HDD/SSD health all good, is your RAM good (not faulty)?

Do you have the latest SATA controller drivers? Did you try using Windows built-in generic SATA controller drivers?

Specs are in my signature.

I'm running a keyboard and mouse, desktop microphone and a wireless 360 controller dongle. Crimson is updated to the latest 16.5.1 drivers, Windows Update has no new updates so everything else is up to date. My UEFI was flashed (long before I reinstalled, so that's not the problem) to the latest version, and I have GOP partitioning so Windows is UEFI as well and I have the 'Ultra Fast Booting' enabled. My 850 EVO is on the latest firmware and hasn't written more than 3.25TB of data, and I have AHCI enabled and RAM caching. Memory is clean as I had tested it a week earlier with MemTest86 and it's healthy. My i5 4570 isn't overheating or anything, neither is my R9 380.

30 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

How do I do that? I could only find the official release copy, which is a tool that downloads an ISO for you.

And I did restart, multiple times actually because it kept freezing up. But it kept having the same bugs, so luckily I was barely able to navigate the settings app and go back to my earlier build that I had originally. I think Edge was the most problematic, as it was the one that wreaked havoc the most (because I was excited for AdBlock).

Opps, forgot to give you the link!

Here you go:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced

Scroll down, you'll find a drop down list/menu, pick:

Windows 10 Insider Preview - Build 14332

Click on Confirm

Then a new drop down list will show up, this is for language. Pick yours, and click on Confirm

Then the page will load, and you'll find "Download 64-bit" button, click on it, and download away.

Well you need a separate drive.... I mean, you want to clean install, that is the whole point of it.

Sadly, you can't download an HDD from the interwebs.

28 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I'm running a keyboard and mouse, desktop microphone and a wireless 360 controller dongle. Crimson is updated to the latest 16.5.1 drivers, Windows Update has no new updates so everything else is up to date. My UEFI was flashed (long before I reinstalled, so that's not the problem) to the latest version, and I have GOP partitioning so Windows is UEFI as well and I have the 'Ultra Fast Booting' enabled. My 850 EVO is on the latest firmware and hasn't written more than 3.25TB of data, and I have AHCI enabled and RAM caching. Memory is clean as I had tested it a week earlier with MemTest86 and it's healthy. My i5 4570 isn't overheating or anything, neither is my R9 380.

AHA, try and disable RAM cashing (beside it doesn't improve performance.. well it didn't doe me, not find anyone that noticed performance increased beside on benchmark software specifically designed to test RAM speed, and some people reported slight slow down). This is the same for any of those disk to RAM software.

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

AHA, try and disable RAM cashing (beside it doesn't improve performance.. well it didn't doe me, not find anyone that noticed performance increased beside on benchmark software specifically designed to test RAM speed, and some people reported slight slow down). This is the same for any of those disk to RAM software.

I'll try that. Thanks.

I'm running Windows 10 Build 14332, for some reason every startup it's asking for my credentials for my Microsoft Account, yet when I click to enter then the page loads up a prompt with the only option being to cancel.  This loop continues till I get fed up and clear the action centre. 

I've reported this on the insider hub, just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 hours ago, byalexandr said:

I'd recommend disabling RAM caching whenever upgrading Windows build. I'm assuming you're using the Samsung Magician software for that?

The reason why is that during Windows upgrades, the contents may have not been flushed to the SSD if the service was stopped during the upgrade or interrupted by an restart.

EDIT: Didn't see the above reply by @GoodBytes

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

1 hour ago, ionbasa said:

I'd recommend disabling RAM caching whenever upgrading Windows build. I'm assuming you're using the Samsung Magician software for that?

The reason why is that during Windows upgrades, the contents may have not been flushed to the SSD if the service was stopped during the upgrade or interrupted by an restart.

EDIT: Didn't see the above reply by @GoodBytes

That does make a lot of sense. I disabled it, now I'll try again.

7 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Hopefully your current windows isn't broken, and that is the reason why it craps out.

6 hours ago, byalexandr said:

If you still have issues after upgrading, run this command in an Administrative Command Prompt:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and try restarting.