Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

whats your magic? i still have not found a way to do it natively?

and people can't get it with firefox ether.

you hiding voodoo?

I don't know. Firefox is set as my default web browser, and Firefox is set to use Google as default search engine. And that is all. If I change my Firefox default engine to say, Yahoo. Now, when I do a search in Cortana, I'll get Yahoo results. There is no breaking your head here.

I don't know. Firefox is set as my default web browser, and Firefox is set to use Google as default search engine. And that is all. If I change my Firefox default engine to say, Yahoo. Now, when I do a search in Cortana, I'll get Yahoo results. There is no breaking your head here.

Hmm, doesn't work like that for most.

I don't know why you need an extension. When I use Cortana, it opens Firefox and uses Google search engine.

That's Cortana. This is for people who press Start and start typing.

Use Firefox

even some on it say it doesn't work.but...chrome is still better for me. and i have tried firefox for 2 weeks.

even some on it say it doesn't work.but...chrome is still better for me. and i have tried firefox for 2 weeks.

So then tell Google to process search queries.

OK if i have an older laptop that meets all the minimum requirements but doesn't have driver support for windows 10....Is it still safe to upgrade?

Will windows find some drivers for me?

OK if i have an older laptop that meets all the minimum requirements but doesn't have driver support for windows 10....Is it still safe to upgrade?

Will windows find some drivers for me?

What drivers in particular?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

all of them - chipset/GPU/LAN/audio...

eutl2ut.png

As you can see, vendor support ended a long time ago...I assume the individual sites will have updated drivers? But will they work (and work well) with my laptop (motherboard)?

Windows should find them automatically, right? 

I'm gonna give it a go anyway just to see how it goes...I barely use the thing anyway.

Laptops are weird...I know how to do it on my desktop - i just go to my motherboard driver/ support page....

But how do you do it on a laptop when you don't know the mobo?

all of them - chipset/GPU/LAN/audio...

eutl2ut.png

As you can see, vendor support ended a long time ago...I assume the individual sites will have updated drivers? But will they work (and work well) with my laptop (motherboard)?

Windows should find them automatically, right? 

I'm gonna give it a go anyway just to see how it goes...I barely use the thing anyway.

Laptops are weird...I know how to do it on my desktop - i just go to my motherboard driver/ support page....

But how do you do it on a laptop when you don't know the mobo?

I'd say, as long as you have the NX bit, you should be fine. But whatevs.

PS: Can you jsut remove the HDD and put in a dummy drive and try to install a preview build or something?

So I have noted a few issues with Windows 10 that I'm sure some of you have run into or started to notice.  After running with Win10 since its public release I have noticed some memory spikes which causes the system to freeze unless you Ctrl+Alt+Del to get it the system out of a locked state.  Following that looking into the task manager I have found that almost 90 percent of 16GB of Ram are in use..  Now with me not doing anything it just happens over time repeatedly and having to power cycle the pc.   I've tried to do a bit of research even though the OS is so new why this is happening, but with no luck..  I did find that there is a process that I will find eating away at my resources called "bcastdvr.exe" and is usually taking over 1GB for no reason. I think this has to deal with the built in xbox features like for recording and taking screenshots during in game?

This is my specs and I hope someone will have some bright ideas what can cause this and if there is a fix. (And I hope this is the right place to look anyways) 
my DXDiag results
DxDiag.txt

Thanks

Sooo my W10 experience was quite good until 30 minutes ago i bumped into a bug that made everything go from bad to terrible to completely broken atm.

It started not that bad, i have 4 monitors, 2 of them connected to my 6950 and 2 to the iGPU in my 4570k. I went from W7 to W10 with the upgrade and it was all fine, the screen config was exacly the same after the upgrade as i expected. So, i got a "new" monitor today, a 1080p one to replace the last 5:4 17inch square-y monitor. Looks like an easy job, no? Turns out, it isn't. I disconnected the old one, connected the new one (the monitor i'm replacing is connected to the iGPU btw) and only the 2 monitors that are connected to my 6950 were still going, the new one and the other one connecteed to my iGPU, no input, great! After some trial and error, i could not get it working at all anymore. I even tried the old monitor and as soon as i connect 4 monitors, all the monitors connected to the iGPU die, i can use any config with 3 monitors, but as soon as i connect a 4th one, only 2 work.

So, tired of the problem, i decided to go back to W7, i got the option, so i went for it. And then, yea... It went completely downhill from that moment.

W7 is back on my computer, but not how i left it. I cannot use any input devices (mouse doesn't work, keyboard doesn't work, nothing works) and it says it's no longer genuine. Which is BS. I used a legit key years ago to activate it, and now it looks like it's gone. Atm i have no idea anymore what i can do. I won't buy a new key of anything, i don't see why i would. And i can't do anything atm with my rig because i can't interact with it. Sooo GG... It looked fine, but i was wrong, i'm going to try now to get W7 working again properly and try to sort out the legal stuff. At least the 4 monitors work again now in W7 :P Wish me luck, it's going to be one hell of a ride to get it properly working again!

edit: i got it fixed, and a lot more quicky than i expected. I have a usb flash drive laying around with a windows 7 ISO (not even the same i used to install it back in the day), booted from that, tried to recover the system, it said it needed to reboot before it could fix anything, rebooted, and it was all fine again, sort of. I don't know what exacly happened but i have a completely fresh windows 7 install atm. My C drive is completely clean exept an AMD driver, but that's fine, so i have NO idea what happened, but somehow it's fixed. Lost a bit of data, but i can't be bothered about it. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Sooo my W10 experience was quite good until 30 minutes ago i bumped into a bug that made everything go from bad to terrible to completely broken atm.

It started not that bad, i have 4 monitors, 2 of them connected to my 6950 and 2 to the iGPU in my 4570k. I went from W7 to W10 with the upgrade and it was all fine, the screen config was exacly the same after the upgrade as i expected. So, i got a "new" monitor today, a 1080p one to replace the last 5:4 17inch square-y monitor. Looks like an easy job, no? Turns out, it isn't. I disconnected the old one, connected the new one (the monitor i'm replacing is connected to the iGPU btw) and only the 2 monitors that are connected to my 6950 were still going, the new one and the other one connecteed to my iGPU, no input, great! After some trial and error, i could not get it working at all anymore. I even tried the old monitor and as soon as i connect 4 monitors, all the monitors connected to the iGPU die, i can use any config with 3 monitors, but as soon as i connect a 4th one, only 2 work.

So, tired of the problem, i decided to go back to W7, i got the option, so i went for it. And then, yea... It went completely downhill from that moment.

W7 is back on my computer, but not how i left it. I cannot use any input devices (mouse doesn't work, keyboard doesn't work, nothing works) and it says it's no longer genuine. Which is BS. I used a legit key years ago to activate it, and now it looks like it's gone. Atm i have no idea anymore what i can do. I won't buy a new key of anything, i don't see why i would. And i can't do anything atm with my rig because i can't interact with it. Sooo GG... It looked fine, but i was wrong, i'm going to try now to get W7 working again properly and try to sort out the legal stuff. At least the 4 monitors work again now in W7 :P Wish me luck, it's going to be one hell of a ride to get it properly working again!

edit: i got it fixed, and a lot more quicky than i expected. I have a usb flash drive laying around with a windows 7 ISO (not even the same i used to install it back in the day), booted from that, tried to recover the system, it said it needed to reboot before it could fix anything, rebooted, and it was all fine again, sort of. I don't know what exacly happened but i have a completely fresh windows 7 install atm. My C drive is completely clean exept an AMD driver, but that's fine, so i have NO idea what happened, but somehow it's fixed. Lost a bit of data, but i can't be bothered about it.

It's best to get your w10 key and install clean...immediately after upgrading...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I've been really enjoying 10 this past week, everything is just great. Today I was reading about wifi sense, and although I'm wired and preetttyyy sure it doesn't apply to me... should I worry about not seeing the wifi options?

Edit: By the way, not sure if it has been mentioned already, but if any of you upgraded from 7 or 8 and don't intend to revert to those, run a disk cleanup and delete the old windows files to free up some space!!

• 2 weeks later...

The insider program is back in business! 

Build 10525 has been released to the fast ring. 

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-10525-released-to-insiders-download-now

This build brings improved color options, something related to Memory management, and bug fixes. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

PSA: Chrome 64bit will crash due to memory managment issues on build 10525:

hoTFBjf.png

It seems the issue is due to ROP programming changes and Memory management changes in this new build. Both Intel and Microsoft filled bug reports with Google in advance to possibly prevent issues, but it seems Google didn't heed their advice.

32 bit builds are currently unaffected. There is a workaround that involves disabling Chrome's sandboxing feature, but I'd highly advice against going that route. In addition a similar crash may appear on Mozilla's 64it Firefox builds. For now, just wait it out until a new build of Chrome is released.

Schuh also linked to an associated entry in the bug tracker, which referred to requests by both Microsoft and Intel to Google to change Chrome "to work better with their ongoing ROP mitigation efforts."

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2973455/web-browsers/latest-windows-10-preview-cripples-64-bit-chrome.html

Chrome bug tracker thread: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=522201#c30

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yay upgraded to build 10525 and this is what i got.

DRQQWa0.png

This happens nearly every time after clean install also, even on other systems.

Tbh i would't advice being insider until they fix this issue because it effects 10240 build also, its probably a problem with Microsoft servers and downloads being incomplete.

Friends of mine had same issues, sometimes its corrupt files that can be repaired usually it cannot be repaired.

If they cannot supply non corrupt downloaded files they should't provide them at all

Run this in an administrative Powershell:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

Restart, then try running the SFC SCANNOW command again. What happens?

New Windows 10 Build for the fast ring. Build 10532

Features updated icons on the desktop right-click menu to fit better with the rest of the OS (nothing major, just put in angle point of view), right-click menus are more consistent looking throughout the OS.

Windows Feedback now has the ability to share feedback. A link is given to share on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

WinBeta made a video shocasing what is new in this build.

You're in a for a laugh on the menus:

So, I submitted a suggestion to the Windows Feedback app. WHat do you guys think?

Users with touch screens can currently swipe up on the start button to go directly to the all apps plane. I suggested that similar functionality could be added to mouse and touchpad users by clicking (and holding) and dragging up on the start button with your mouse.

If you think this would be an useful shortcut and would increase productivity, feel free to upvote here:

Windows-Feedback:?contextid=210&feedbackid=8bbc4ece-ef0b-43f0-8908-9f4b7a8ac553&form=1&src=2

(this link has to be copied and opened in Edge as the forum won't allow that type of hyperlink)

Ok people, I've installed W10 Enterprise, but I've encountered an issue with the DVD drive. It seems that many people have this issue from what I've searched on the net. the DVD drive cannot be recognized and it is rendered useless. The device manager sees a "storage device" and nothing more. All the hard drives are wokring properly and I've even tried to tweak the registry, by following some guides but no luck there. Any suggestions ?

Ok people, I've installed W10 Enterprise, but I've encountered an issue with the DVD drive. It seems that many people have this issue from what I've searched on the net. the DVD drive cannot be recognized and it is rendered useless. The device manager sees a "storage device" and nothing more. All the hard drives are wokring properly and I've even tried to tweak the registry, by following some guides but no luck there. Any suggestions ?

See if there is a firmware update for your DVD drive.

Did anyone figure out a way top stop Windows from "blocking" programs from running?