Comcast telling customers to stop using Tor

AndThenThereWas1

Comcast customer reps have been contacting customers and telling them that if they do not stop using Tor their service may be terminated. It actually goes even further. They are saying that if you try to protect your privacy you are probably doing something illegal. Here is an alleged quote from comcast:

A Comcast agent named Jeremy allegedly called Tor an “illegal service.” The Comcast agent told its customer that such activity is against usage policies.

The Comcast agent then repeatedly asked the customer to tell him what sites he was accessing on the Tor browser. The customer refused to answer.

The next day the customer called Comcast and spoke to another agent named Kelly who reiterated that Comcast does not want its customers using Tor. The Comcast agent then allegedly told the customer:

Users who try to use anonymity, or cover themselves up on the internet, are usually doing things that aren’t so-to-speak legal. We have the right to terminate,   fine, or suspend your account at anytime due to you violating the rules.
Do you have any other questions? Thank you for contacting Comcast, have a great day.

How did Comcast know its customers were using Tor in the first place? Because Tor Browser provides online anonymity to its users,  This would mean that Comcast is monitoring the online activities of its users, to (among other things) check if they are following their Acceptable Use Policy.

Like many customers of comcast i did not read comcast's terms and conditions before signing so im shocked to find out that im actually not allowed to use proxy servers with comcast:

The Tor project cited Comcast’s Acceptable Use Policy for its residential customers which claims to not allow servers or proxies under “technical restrictions.”:

use
or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network (“PremisesLAN”), also commonly referred to as public services or servers.
Examples of prohibited equipment
and servers include, but are not limited to, email, web hosting, file sharing, and
proxy services
and servers;

I knew comcast was a bad ISP, but this is just ridiculous. To assume someone is doing illegal things just because they are trying to protect their privacy is ridiculous. Can you imagine what it will be like if net neutrality dies? The future is not looking good right now.

comcast use policy: http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/HighSpeedInternetAUP.html

source 1:http://www.deepdotweb.com/2014/09/13/comcast-declares-war-tor/

source 2:http://www.inquisitr.com/1474279/comcast-tells-customers-to-stop-using-tor-browser/

nevermind

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Why the fuck are you doing this Comcast? Makes me sad you're the best ISP in my area.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

First Tor, next VPNs

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Really? This is one of the stupider things Comcast has done recently. They went full retard

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

-snip-

you're kidding right?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Once again, happy Comcast isn't allowed where I live.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

You know, throughout history, when a government or some other body screws over the people in its own country, the people tend to get pissed, and when the people become pissed they tend to rise up and fight those who oppress them, and when they do that, the people who were screwing them often end up dead. Just sayin'.

Just like Rogers where i live. Rogers hates TOR and if you were to ever use it. Say hello to the lawsuits.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

So no hotspot shield???

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

as far as im concerned if you use Tor your a child molester only criminals use it. and don't give me that privacy bullshit its not privacy when you are concealing your identity is being anonymous so you can lie cheat and steal.

Wtf are you talking about? Everyone, regardless of who you are and what you do are entitled to privacy. Comments like yours are what's wrong with the Internet. If you are stating an opinion or expressing sarcasm, please state in your post.

Site suggest? Make a dislike button.

-snip-

May I ask how you think they tell the difference between Tor and other encypted traffic? They can't look in it, it's encrypted, so this is just setting them up to block all encrpyted data because "it could be piracy". There are plenty of things that you need to encypt data for such as banking and you often can't tell these apart from Tor or VPNs.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

seriously comcast... if you or the stuipid governement that rules over you werent spying on us then MAYBE we wouldnt have to use TOR you bubble headed idiots

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I weep for freedom on the internet...

Sure TOR is being used by shady people but that does not mean that everyone on it is shady... Same with VPNs...

I use a VPN when the routing of my ISP becomes crap (which is rare... I'm impressed...)... It's a really nice way to force some of your traffic through a different route and get the advertised speeds on your plan (or beyond)... The only downside is the latency which I don't mind since I play mostly offline and single player games...

Oh boy. One one hand I'm not surprised, on the other it just reminds me of how much American ISP's are screwing their customers like there's no tomorrow.
Something that annoys me in threads like this is people saying things like "Well, I don't live there so not my problem."
That might be true, but the fact that people are still getting away with this is a major issue, and will inevitably and up effecting you in some way, shape or form. For someone like me who lives in Aus, I might not have to deal with this sort of shit now, but with the way our government is currently going, soon our ISP's are going to be just like those in America. I wish that Aus would stop trying to suck up to the US and follow in their footsteps constantly, we're just going to end up screwed too.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

-snip-

You probably also think everybody who owns a firearm is a murderer and everybody who lifts weights likes to beat people up.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

i use a vpn, and i play with tor just out of a network design interest. now I'm doing illegal things because I like to learn? This is why we need legit net neutrality. things like this are bullshit!

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

You know, throughout history, when a government or some other body screws over the people in its own country, the people tend to get pissed, and when the people become pissed they tend to rise up and fight those who oppress them, and when they do that, the people who were screwing them often end up dead. Just sayin'.

Sic semper tyrannis.