Google is testing delivery-by-drone too, say hello to Project Wing

Dietrichw

Source

google-project-wing-the-atlantic.jpg

Amazon is selling a phone and reportedly even getting into the online ad business, so of course Google is ready to compete with its still-in-testing Prime Air drone delivery service. The Atlantic has a report on (and a short video of) what is being called "Project Wing," a part of the Google X labs that have worked on Project Loon, Glass, driverless cars and so much more. As shown above, the idea is for a tail sitter unmanned aircraft (shown above, described as a hybrid between a plane and a helicopter that takes off and lands vertically), where the drone flies in like a plane, then hovers and lowers a package to the ground by wire before releasing it. The "egg" at the end of the wire hits the ground and drops the package before being pulled back up into the drone. So can you expect to receive a Google Shopping Express order this way anytime soon? Probably not right away, as the test shown took place in Australia, and there's plenty of testing and regulatory hurdles to get over before anyone is dropping off packages this way.

1409213289092.jpg

1409213289092.jpg

YEAH! Another free drone to shoot down lol

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I still think this is a load of rubbish. Anyone who thinks that delivery by dron is a good idea is slightly stupid. The amount of people who will go out shooting drones down for a lucky dip prize would be unbelievable. but I do think it is a good ploy to make the delivery companies think about making their delivery systems more affordable and more efficient

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

amazon-drone-delivery-in-the-south.jpg

I still think this is a load of rubbish. Anyone who thinks that delivery by dron is a good idea is slightly stupid. The amount of people who will go out shooting drones down for a lucky dip prize would be unbelievable. but I do think it is a good ploy to make the delivery companies think about making their delivery systems more affordable and more efficient

well once there are laws put in place that won't be an issue. it could count it as armed robbery as if somebody robbed a UPS or Fedex van using a firearms or etc. That drone is property of Google or Amazon and you are forcibly robbing it or destroying it. We will see for sure once the laws are made more clear

well once there are laws put in place that won't be an issue. it could count it as armed robbery as if somebody robbed a UPS or Fedex van using a firearms or etc. That drone is property of Google or Amazon and you are forcibly robbing it or destroying it. We will see for sure once the laws are made more clear

Sure, but how do they plan on catching someone if they never see them?

Sure, but how do they plan on catching someone if they never see them?

the drones are covered with sensors and cameras, Drones will also be limited to populated areas near storage/shipment centers. Try firing at drones in a city without people reporting gun shots.

It would be cool, but i don't feel it being practical in the city.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

the drones are covered with sensors and cameras, Drones will also be limited to populated areas near storage/shipment centers. Try firing at drones in a city without people reporting gun shots.

It will still be a while lot easier to steal from a drone than it would be to steal from a ups truck.

Also a camera isn't going to do much good when you are sitting 400m from it with a balaclava on.

I am not suggesting that it will necercarily be as easy as walking into a store and buying something but I am trying to say that it is too easy and not a reliable way to do things.

Again, has been posted.

I will be happy if I don't have to deal with Google's BS.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I can't wait for simple package delivery. This is awesome :D and with competition more companies will get on board and soon USPS and UPS will start their own drone services as well!

I want my Newegg orders to be delivered this way.

Seriously tho, if drones are free to fly between the ground and plane altitudes. Imagine there being millions of drones ready to ship an order as soon as you buy it.

I still think this is a load of rubbish. Anyone who thinks that delivery by dron is a good idea is slightly stupid. The amount of people who will go out shooting drones down for a lucky dip prize would be unbelievable.

I hear this argument all the time. I'd like to drop the penny for you, most of those people are joking.

Im surprised Australia allowed this but i guess with Tony Abbott in charge we all know how much he loves drones lol

Im surprised Australia allowed this but i guess with Tony Abbott in charge we all know how much he loves drones lol

why wouldn't he allow a company to come and spend what could be millions in Australia testing a product that might turn out to be only a pipe dream?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

why wouldn't he allow a company to come and spend what could be millions in Australia testing a product that might turn out to be only a pipe dream?

Because that would mean he understood the NBN lol

It will still be a while lot easier to steal from a drone than it would be to steal from a ups truck.

Also a camera isn't going to do much good when you are sitting 400m from it with a balaclava on.

I am not suggesting that it will necercarily be as easy as walking into a store and buying something but I am trying to say that it is too easy and not a reliable way to do things.

Yes because anyone can just pick up a sniper rifle and hit a moving object from 400m away while accounting for a 10mph crosswind. Seriously people these days learn too much about guns from video games. And if you rob best buy with a mask on no one will know who you are either.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

what if the drone is powered by a nuclear reactor, you will think twice before shooting it down 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

I hear this argument all the time. I'd like to drop the penny for you, most of those people are joking.

Yes because anyone can just pick up a sniper rifle and hit a moving object from 400m away while accounting for a 10mph crosswind. Seriously people these days learn too much about guns from video games. And if you rob best buy with a mask on no one will know who you are either.

I get what you are saying. I just think that there will need to be some kind of ingenious way of protecting these drones. Probably, if the drones ever get put into service, they probably will think of some awesome way to protect the packages, but as it stands it seems like it would be too easy for the drones to be taken down.