A Developer's Defense Of 30 Frames Per Second

Misanthrope

A Developer's Defense Of 30 Frames Per Second, a.k.a.  The "Resolution is just a number" argument on crack:

"60 fps is really responsive and really cool. I enjoy playing games in 60 fps," Jan told me. "But one thing that really changes is the aesthetic of the game in 60 fps. We're going for this filmic look, so one thing that we knew immediately was films run at 24 fps. We're gonna run at 30 because 24 fps does not feel good to play. So there's one concession in terms of making it aesthetically pleasing, because it just has to feel good to play.

The analogy with films would almost work if you could release a film with the audience having total control of the camera or a game 100% on rails. Basically a non-movie movie that behaves like a game or a non-game game that pretends to be a movie. Imho: ugh (to both)

Then, on top of it, I don't know of any other games that are gonna look like our game in real-time with no pre-rendered movies, with all the stuff that's going on lighting-wise, and run at 60. I think that's probably the thing that most people underestimate is [that] to make a game look like this—the way that they're lit, the number of directional lights that we have… We don't have a game where you're just outside in sunlight, so there's one light. We have candles flickering, fires, then characters have lights on them. So [to make] all those lights [work] with this fidelity means, I think, until the end of this system most people won't have any clue how to make that run 60 and look like this

Oh, I have a clue!.....#PCMasterRace

All kidding aside, like I said the argument almost work but with that second paragraph she pretty much revealed that the consoles just can't handle the "next gen" look they want anyway (also see: Watchdogs)

http://kotaku.com/a-developers-defense-of-30-frames-per-second-1580194683

-------

Current Rig

-------

I refuse to believe these people are that stupid. They are just paid well to humiliate themselves in front of everyone except the people who are dumb enough to believe it. That there are people that dumb though is kind of sad.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

A Developer's Defense Of 30 Frames Per Second, a.k.a.  The "Resolution is just a number" argument on crack:

The analogy with films would almost work if you could release a film with the audience having total control of the camera or a game 100% on rails. Basically a non-movie movie that behaves like a game or a non-game game that pretends to be a movie. Imho: ugh (to both)

Oh, I have a clue!.....#PCMasterRace

All kidding aside, like I said the argument almost work but with that second paragraph she pretty much revealed that the consoles just can't handle the "next gen" look they want anyway (also see: Watchdogs)

http://kotaku.com/a-developers-defense-of-30-frames-per-second-1580194683

HAHAHAH. Thank you for this. Made my day.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Yeah... 30FPS sucks ass though. Try playing a First Person Shooter at 30FPS. You die. A lot.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I refuse to believe these people are that stupid. They are just paid well to humiliate themselves in front of everyone except the people who are dumb enough to believe it. That there are people that dumb though is kind of sad.

I don't believe they're THAT stupid, that's the sad part: They assume that WE are that stupid and will buy this argument instead of seeing this for what it really is: The "next gen" consoles being incapable of "next gen" stuff.

I think that they should cut all this "Resolution is just a number" and "Cinematic framerate" bullshit and just get fucking Carmack back to develop truly optimized game engines for their crap hardware, that dude really did miracles with the laughably poor 90s hardware I'm sure he could come up with ways to improve shit for all....that is beyond VR of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

These 'Next-Gen' consoles are really starting to look good....not.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

The difference going up to 60 FPS at minimum makes is fantastic. Even in games like Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft. Even in the older GTA Games like Vice City...

I played Vice City at a solid 60FPS at 1280x1024... So pretty.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Every time the "24fps is fine for movies" argument is brought up I cringe. They always forget that with a movie you're sat back and watching but with a game you're involved and playing it and a lack of responsiveness is a lack of immersion that you just don't get with movies because you don't have any responsiveness to add to the immersion in the first place.

I am curious to see how games will run on """"""""next gen"""""""" consoles when they are 8 years old. 360p 25fps? If they can't even run *launch titles* at the targets they're advertizing (1080p 60fps, which should according to them have been the big difference between the 7th and the 8th generation) and actually not even get close (792p 30fps is just ridiculous), how can you expect them to achieve anything better as they get older?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Every time the "24fps is fine for movies" argument is brought up I cringe. They always forget that with a movie you're sat back and watching but with a game you're involved and playing it and a lack of responsiveness is a lack of immersion that you just don't get with movies because you don't have any responsiveness to add to the immersion in the first place.

I have an analogy for those folk: Do you like ridiculously shaky cam movies? I bet those make you fucking sick right? How about the unholy combo of non-stop shaky cam AND motion blur? Well that's pretty much the exact same effect you get on a computer game at 24fps, you can't jump cut to different perspectives like good movies do, you have to excessively move the camera creating a highly undesirable effect.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That isn't a defence, it is an excuse.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

30fps could potentially look more cinematic than 60fps. If done correctly. I'm not sure if that's the real reason though. It's most likely just an excuse like Fetzie said.

Edit: Edited post cause I miss read article.

This is where G-Sync or Adaptive sync could have really helped :P

In all seriousness though, I personally would prefer a steady 30fps over jumping from 40-60fps...the "24 fps" is just funny though, it is just their way of justifying not having 60fps.  It would be nice though to see the developers put in a feature to turn off the "lights with high fidelity"....I swear, people underestimate the amount of power it takes to handle proper lighting (instead of per-calculated stuff).  In the developers defense though, they didn't say it wasn't possible to do 60fps...they just said they couldn't do it, which is a big difference.  There are many things that go into optimizations of engines (writing assembly specifically optimized for a platform, whether PC, ARM or consoles).  So whenever new systems comes out, it will always take time to learn the optimization techniques....especially when you have a newer game engine (you focus on getting things working over performance).

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

30 FPS is shit and here is why-

IN MOST CASES IT DOESN"T NEED TO BE THAT WAY!

A few small details can be changed to allow for 60fps. 

A lot of games run 720p with AA @ 30fps. WHY AA AT SUCH A LOW RES? TAKE OFF THE AA!

At least this isn't yet another fps @ 30fps. 30fps for and shoot is unacceptable. (I'm looking at you battlefield. Cant even keep 30fps )

All these stupid little bullshit lighting details and other shit really loses it luster at low resolutions anyway. 

You should only push for more details when you don't have to compromise playability. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

"We're going for this filmic look"

Really?

Yah that's the most B.S. thing I have ever heard. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Do they think the general public is that stupid? Oh wait, they're targeting the 10 year old kids who yell 'your mom' jokes into their headset while playing cod on Xbox after their bedtime.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Do they think the general public is that stupid? Oh wait, they're targeting the 10 year old kids who yell 'your mom' jokes into their headset while playing cod on Xbox after their bedtime.

Those kids don't read Kotaku, or any gaming press for that matter. So it's just plain fucking condescending since they know damn well only older gamers actually read this kind of blogs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Those kids don't read Kotaku, or any gaming press for that matter. So it's just plain fucking condescending since they know damn well only older gamers actually read this kind of blogs.

Yes they think we are that stupid. 

muh specs 

All parts black

It is total bullshit to us. But it is a great marketing trick targeted towards kids.

If you can squeeze enough power out of the last gen consoles to make GTA V look the way it does, why can't you make games that look great on the new generation? Honestly I think it's just a matter of lazy developers, not the hardware. Saying "oh we have too many lights" makes me so angry! Take some of the freaking lights or find a way to make it work, don't just let it run like crap! These new consoles are x86 and DirectX, we've been using these platforms for years. Even if they are using the hardware to its full potential, (they aren't) they obviously knew very early in the development cycle that what they were doing would slow things down.

WolPnGw.png?1

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Yeah... 30FPS sucks ass though. Try playing a First Person Shooter at 30FPS. You die. A lot.

C'mon, think of it as training! That way when you move back to your PC you're that much better. ;)

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Yes. Yes they do. I have literally showed people the DirectX lead for the past decade saying DX 12 won't matter one bit for resolution on the Xbox One. These people STILL think the cloud (cpu power in theory) and a low level API (that they already have) with new hardware effects (that they don't have) is going to magically increase the Xbox One's resolution and graphics. They will say things like "MS designed the Xbox GPU for Direct X 12".

Sony seems to think this was a good plan. After Watch Dog's looks like absolute garbage on "next gen" and Witcher 3 is delayed with the dev downplaying resolution, the Order 1866 or whatever being obviously downgraded in a recent showing (Sony said nuh uh) and now delayed until 2015? Sony is also working on a magic fix per recent news.

All you have to do is keep repeating BS over and over again on a forum. Eventually morons start believing it and then they repeat that BS for you. 

Hell if these companies can get away with this demoing the kinect? They can get away with anything.

e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.