Zenimax claims Carmack stole tech for Oculus

Slick

"Lawyers for id Software's parent company, Zenimax Media, sent claims to Oculus VR stating, "It was only through the concerted efforts of Mr. Carmack, using technology developed over many years at, and owned by, ZeniMax, that [Oculus founder] Mr. Luckey was able to transform his garage-based pipe dream into a working reality."

Oculus denies Zenimax's claim. The company provided the following statement:

"It's unfortunate, but when there's this type of transaction, people come out of the woodwork with ridiculous and absurd claims. We intend to vigorously defend Oculus and its investors to the fullest extent."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-claims-oculus-stole/?ncid=rss_truncated

Probably used some things he's learned from other companies.. Of course everyone does. For him to outright take technology and utilize it in another company, I doubt it. I also doubt they would've waited this long to say something.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stold? Is that supposed to be sold or stole?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Stole and sold? :D

Zenimax vs Facebook in a legal battle, if this is true then maybe he liked those odds. :lol:

On a serious note though, it seems more like the use of data (code) owned by Zenimax that Carmack produced.

Could also be a scare tactic to try and bring forward a settlement deal, interesting situation as I see that ZeniMax has been attempting to work out a deal before, but the two companies didn't reach an agreement so maybe now bigger punches are being pulled.

This is going to be interesting, and the start of many more things like this.

VR is big and now a target, with Oculus leading it they are the main target.

On the plus side, having a company like Facebook owning them, its going to deter a huge amount of it, and when it does hit then its going to have the right people/money to help the cases.

I wonder what his actual contract with Zenimax was, and if it included anything about this sort of thing, and if he did use company time/resources on it.

Also wonder what this quote from the article could be talking about,

Further, Zenimax claims that Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey "acknowledged in writing" that certain, unspecified property belonged to Zenimax.

This could be something big for Oculus, depending on the contract John had, or what Palmer agreed, this could be completely legal and not just some random claim like we seem to get with a lot of other markets. (I'm looking at you Apple/Samsung)

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Stole and sold? :D

calm down now boys - d is close to e - everyone can go home now

calm down now boys - d is close to e - everyone can go home now

I don't wanna go home though :-(

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

shit when slick reports something you know its serious

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well if there was one guy who would just go fucking Rogue and start working on his own shit without notifying anybody Carmack certainly fits the bill: He likely started working on VR when he was in iD and didn't bother to take precautions, patents or not to do it in company time, etc. 

Either that or Zenimax probably saw The Social Network on Netflix recently and went "hmm, doesn't Carmack works for Facebook now? Let's try that"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh god, the patent wars will come to VR  :unsure:

Well Apple has already patented all VR headset technology with an incredibly vague drawing of a TV strapped to someones face. So I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sued Facebook and Occulus. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think it is important to note that intellectual property doesn't necessarily mean patents.  When you write code, there are techniques that certain companies might implore, or methods to writing the code.  So what is considered I.P. (such as trade secrets) when you have an employee move to another company and brings expertise that might have been learned from another company.  It isn't like there is a one solution fits all in terms of programming, there are certain standards, but how you approach problems and solutions can change quite a bit from company to company....so I guess my real point is, this could be very muddy waters...if the company had "taught" John Carmack certain concepts (that only their company uses), then he used the same thought line to solve problems in the Oculus, does that constitute as bringing over trade secrets.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

Let's cut Zenimax some slack here - ESO's probably not making them as much money as they hoped, so they have to make it back somewhere!

(Yeah, I know there's no formal lawsuit...yet)

So selling their company to Facebook was probably the cause for this. Zenimax wants some from Facebook. 

If Carmack wrote some code for Zenimax and then left to go to Oculus and used that code for the oculus I could understand Zenimax claim. But that is only if that happened. Also if it means that Zenimax will make Fallout 4 is they win I don't care if Facebook has to give money to Zenimax. All I care about is Fallout 4 in this world.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If it proceeds forward with litigation, i foresee a no win for Zenimax. Zuckerberg will drown them with the best lawyers money can buy. That kid just doesn't stop when he wants something, that much we know already...

I just seen this and my jaw dropped like, WAT??

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Something coming up this late in the Oculus development has to be a patent troll.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

"Lawyers for id Software's parent company, Zenimax Media, sent claims to Oculus VR stating, "It was only through the concerted efforts of Mr. Carmack, using technology developed over many years at, and owned by, ZeniMax, that [Oculus founder] Mr. Luckey was able to transform his garage-based pipe dream into a working reality."

Oculus denies Zenimax's claim. The company provided the following statement:

"It's unfortunate, but when there's this type of transaction, people come out of the woodwork with ridiculous and absurd claims. We intend to vigorously defend Oculus and its investors to the fullest extent."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-claims-oculus-stole/?ncid=rss_truncated

he posted to twitter, he used nothing he wrote there for oculus

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

If zenimax can sue oculus because carmack used technology he derived from them,  then HP can sue apple because Wozniack built the first apple using the tech he gained while working for HP or Atari can sue too take your pick.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.