IBM unveils Power8 and OpenPower pincer attack on Intel’s x86 server monopoly

digitalnav

IBM has taken the wraps off the first servers that are powered by its monstrously powerful Power8 CPUs. With more than 4 billion transistors, packed into a stupidly large 650-square-millimeter die built on IBM’s new 22nm SOI process, the 12-core (96-thread) Power8 CPU is one of the largest and probably the most powerful CPU ever built. In a separate move, IBM is opening up the entire Power8 architecture and technical documentation through the OpenPower Foundation, allowing third parties to make Power-based chips (much like ARM’s licensing model), and to allow for the creation of specialized coprocessors (GPUs, FPGAs, etc.) that link directly into the CPU’s memory space using IBM’s new CAPI interface.

First, we should talk about the new Power8 chip. There are 12 CPU cores, each with 512KB of L2 SRAM and 8MB of L3 EDRAM, for a total of 6MB L2 and 96MB L3 cache respectively. There is then a further 230GB/sec of bandwidth to 1TB of DRAM. Whereas each Intel Xeon core is capable of two-way simultaneous threading, and Power7+ cores can do four threads, Power8 ups the ante to eight simlutaneous threads (SMT).

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/181102-ibm-power8-openpower-x86-server-monopoly

ibm-power8-die-shot-640x496.jpg

Personally, it would be nice to see PowerPC get back into the game.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Dayum! Do want!

HbiQlm8.jpg

This HAS to be mentioned on the WAN show.

@LinusTech

@Slick

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

they are opening it up !!!

cool !

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

so..... these would theoretically be usable by a consumer? if said consumer was willing to spend a fortune?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Wow. 650mm square. That is a very large chip. Wonder how much one costs and what the TDP is.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Thats like for super scale stuff like mainframes guys.

so..... these would theoretically be usable by a consumer? if said consumer was willing to spend a fortune?

Not really.  You'd need a motherboard for it among other things, and those aren't sold by themselves.  These processors will go into server racks which will be sold to enterprises as a package for mainframe servers.

I always wonder, what kind of OS's run on these CPU's? And could these theoraticly be used as accelerators on PCI cards? 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I always wonder, what kind of OS's run on these CPU's? And could these theoraticly be used as accelerators on PCI cards? 

Most likely some form of Unix. Possibly Linux as well. I don't know if IBM still has their own server OS these days or not.

As for PCI Accelerators... probably not. But hey you never know, IBM is pretty damn innovative.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But can it run crysis?

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Most likely some form of Unix. Possibly Linux as well. I don't know if IBM still has their own server OS these days or not.

As for PCI Accelerators... probably not. But hey you never know, IBM is pretty damn innovative.

It's developed for AS/400 (iSeries).

Edit: Just wanted to add that AS/400 is very much an alive OS and is quite common. I've worked on them personally for over a decade.   

I really hope they don't come to the consumer market again and apple doesn't switch no more hackintoshs :(

Not really. You'd need software compiled for this platform as I don't think it supports x86.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I really hope they don't come to the consumer market again and apple doesn't switch no more hackintoshs :(

That would be actually cool. Like good old days. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

That would be actually cool. Like good old days. :)

no then we wouldnt be able to make our own macs!

I smell potential folding performance!

The price would get rid off most amateurs (finally) So that'd be rather interesting.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I only wish I could do something with these. 

These will come on boards and purchased from IBM - they power iseries, pseries and such. Also some of their very high end storage systems run powerpc.

Most people don't realize it since they sold all the desktop, laptop and xseries servers, but they make a BOAT load of money on the I and P systems (AS/400 and AX) as well as their storage systems... 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99