Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

Thanks, I'll look into streamlining it a bit, although I won't be able to manage that tomorrow. If you have any ideas for how to do so, I would happily add them :D

(Have you tried adding the notifications/messages panel to the addon so you can see that info at a glance?)

I have it pinned to the top bar by my downloads if that's what you mean? If that's not it then no, but I'd be happy to if I knew how to. It seems to work pretty well, so other than the one the only suggestion I have is to bump up the resolution of the images in the add on. The YouTube thumbnails look crisp, but the in add-on stuff looks kind of pixelated. I assume that it was done to cut down on the size of the add-on, but I'd be fine with it being a bit bigger with crisp images.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I have it pinned to the top bar by my downloads if that's what you mean? If that's not it then no, but I'd be happy to if I knew how to. It seems to work pretty well, so other than the one the only suggestion I have is to bump up the resolution of the images in the add on. The YouTube thumbnails look crisp, but the in add-on stuff looks kind of pixelated. I assume that it was done to cut down on the size of the add-on, but I'd be fine with it being a bit bigger with crisp images.

HN5yl4B.png

And the images are actually too large, but haven't scaled too well (especially the LTT logo). It will be sorted for the full release though.

HTTP/2 203

And the images are actually too large, but haven't scaled too well (especially the LTT logo). It will be sorted for the full release though.

Thanks! The only other suggestion I have then is to allow an option for how many videos are displayed, like I'd only want to see like 4 there so I can put the notifications box on there without taking up my whole screen and having to scroll the box. Really though you're doing a great job!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Thanks! The only other suggestion I have then is to allow an option for how many videos are displayed, like I'd only want to see like 4 there so I can put the notifications box on there without taking up my whole screen and having to scroll the box. Really though you're doing a great job!

This. Plus maybe option to choose from which channels you want to see them. As I for example don't really watch TechQuickie stuff at all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This. Plus maybe option to choose from which channels you want to see them. As I for example don't really watch TechQuickie stuff at all.

Umm... there is. Open the panel -> settings -> Panels to display (the ▼) -> YouTube - TechQuickie -> Switch it off. You can also turn off notifications for a channel: Open the panel -> settings -> YouTube (▼) -> TechQuickie -> Switch it off.

HTTP/2 203

Umm... there is. Open the panel -> settings -> Panels to display (the ▼) -> YouTube - TechQuickie -> Switch it off. You can also turn off notifications for a channel: Open the panel -> settings -> YouTube (▼) -> TechQuickie -> Switch it off.

Ah... maybe I should install beta/alpha before making notes about things supposedly missing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok so now the first look feedback. Panel settings for Youtube is twice on settings. First in panels and then again as own setting group. Same goes with Twitch. I think these should be rearranged so that all settings conserning YT or Twitch etc. are under one headline.

There's some general laggy feeling when hovering over icons for messages and notifications. I feel like notifications icon should be left, not in middle. But thats just me since I get more notifications than messages.

Last thing for now is font in messages and notifications. Its way too small for my eyes. Either have it closer to old font size or ability to change it (small, medium, large scale). If it affects on how many items are displayed, doesn't matter for me. Colors are another thing. I feel like you should only have border colored and text on grey bg as it was before.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok so now the first look feedback. Panel settings for Youtube is twice on settings. First in panels and then again as own setting group. Same goes with Twitch. I think these should be rearranged so that all settings conserning YT or Twitch etc. are under one headline.

There's some general laggy feeling when hovering over icons for messages and notifications. I feel like notifications icon should be left, not in middle. But thats just me since I get more notifications than messages.

Last thing for now is font in messages and notifications. Its way too small for my eyes. Either have it closer to old font size or ability to change it (small, medium, large scale). If it affects on how many items are displayed, doesn't matter for me. Colors are another thing. I feel like you should only have border colored and text on grey bg as it was before.

Colours are obviously personal preference, and @AMorassOfPixelz obviously feels that it should be colourful - personally I am just so bad at art-type stuff that I just accept it however. I would be interested to know how other people feel.

I replicated the settings it to allow notifications without showing in the UI (the youtube setting enabled without the panel setting), although I understand if you feel I should limit it to one or the other - I'll look at revising that before launch.

If there actually is lag between hovering and stuff displaying (rather than just it feeling slow), that's a problem with Firefox or your computer - I'm using CSS transitions to show them which means that they are as fast as it is possible to make them.

I'm not sure about font sizes - I made it smaller to prevent it from being massive, but I will look into making it adjustable.

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis, colors can be good or bad thing. More so to us whose eyesight isn't near normal. But I think at this point is more because text is small it has effect where I have to look it closer and so colors are burning my eyes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@colonel_mortis, colors can be good or bad thing. More so to us whose eyesight isn't near normal. But I think at this point is more because text is small it has effect where I have to look it closer and so colors are burning my eyes.

OK, thanks for the feedback. I'll look into changing it a bit, and perhaps @AMorassOfPixelz could give me a hand

HTTP/2 203

How about an option? @colonel_mortis - What if we have color, but add a greyscale option in the settings? I'd be happy to make grey versions of all the icons- I do agree @LoGiCalDrm that a grey scheme would look more modern/professional.

How about an option? @colonel_mortis - What if we have color, but add a greyscale option in the settings? I'd be happy to make grey versions of all the icons- I do agree @LoGiCalDrm that a grey scheme would look more modern/professional.

You don't even need to make grey versions of the icons - they look fine in black (although some are a different colour to others - perhaps make them all one or the other).

In white it does look interesting, although the borders kinda mess it up. Shadows incoming... soon... ish.

I will definitely be able to have something functional and less abusive on the eyes for the next version.

HTTP/2 203

And yet another thing. Besides text being bold and there being text telling which are new notif, I found it bit hard to tell difference. Maybe something like line between new and old ones?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

And yet another thing. Besides text being bold and there being text telling which are new notif, I found it bit hard to tell difference. Maybe something like line between new and old ones?

Great idea! Will do

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis, I think I figured why UI feels laggy and unresponsive. It's because scaling isn't working which leads to Mark read button being small and partially under scroll bar. So when ever I try to click it, first few times I get settings screen instead.

Also I'm getting used to new color scheme. Its still combination of bright color, small text and not good way to tell read and unread notifs apart thats the problem with it.

Oh, and opening and closing debug console makes the whole thing freeze for a moment.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@colonel_mortis, I think I figured why UI feels laggy and unresponsive. It's because scaling isn't working which leads to Mark read button being small and partially under scroll bar. So when ever I try to click it, first few times I get settings screen instead.

Also I'm getting used to new color scheme. Its still combination of bright color, small text and not good way to tell read and unread notifs apart thats the problem with it.

Oh, and opening and closing debug console makes the whole thing freeze for a moment.

Yeah I cheated on the mark read button by using a utf8 character rather than an image, which explains why it doesn't scale right. Out of interest, where have you set the scaling, and to what (so I can replicate & test)?

Glad to hear that you are coming to terms with the colours, but I'll still try too add a more muted mode when I get back.

I'm aware of the lag, and I think it's because the Ltt data is massive. I'm not too bothered though because general it doesn't need to be used much. If I find a way to help it though, I will.

HTTP/2 203

Yeah I cheated on the mark read button by using a utf8 character rather than an image, which explains why it doesn't scale right. Out of interest, where have you set the scaling, and to what (so I can replicate & test)?

Glad to hear that you are coming to terms with the colours, but I'll still try too add a more muted mode when I get back.

I'm aware of the lag, and I think it's because the Ltt data is massive. I'm not too bothered though because general it doesn't need to be used much. If I find a way to help it though, I will.

Here are settings:

post-2237-0-71335600-1405719550.jpg

And here's what it looks like:

post-2237-0-73118100-1405719581.jpg

Notice that I've icluded my zoom so you can see what's the difference between text that I normally read and how small addon's are compared. Zoom is 145% for this site.

post-2237-0-71335600-1405719550.jpg

post-2237-0-73118100-1405719581.jpg

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Here are settings:

notif_settings.jpg

And here's what it looks like:

notif_mark.jpg

Notice that I've icluded my zoom so you can see what's the difference between text that I normally read and how small addon's are compared. Zoom is 145% for this site.

Thanks for the report. I'll look into getting stuff sorted when I get back from holiday

HTTP/2 203

this looks great thanks!

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Could you possible have two separed icons for notifications and messages in popup info. It distracts me when I see envelope and have notification instead of message.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Could you possible have two separed icons for notifications and messages in popup info. It distracts me when I see envelope and have notification instead of message.

Yeah, I'm planning on it at some point.

In other news, @ has made an api for the addon now, so I will be able to reduce the data usage of the addon to the point that I could possibly do a slimmed down mobile version. Possibly.

HTTP/2 203

In other news, @ has made an api for the addon now

Now that sounds interesting!

Cheers,

Linus

It's pretty basic right now, but still much better than the current system.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/187708-semi-official-linus-tech-tips-api/

Wow. Surprised you're not a dev for LTT.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D