So how do you guys plug in your mouse/keyboard?

nelska

I know you guys are gunna say it doesnt matter but I bet you all have preferences as to which ports the mouse and keyboard go to. There are usually two designated spots for the mouse and keyboard on most motherboards on the back near the cat5 cable... so which way do you have them plugged in? from left to right. when the case is standing i put them in order as mouse in the first slot from the left and keyboard in the second. Because I think keyboard should go in slot one and im pretty sure slot one is the farthest most right slot. how do you guys have yours plugged?

I really don't think it makes any difference.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

heres what im trying to say.. since they are plugged in right side up that would make this slot slot one.. which is where the keyboard goes because the keyboard plays a more important role than the mouse. in a master slave scenario.

MVBAYAI-1.jpg

USB doesn't work that way.

If there is anything to choose, I would use USB2 sockets for keyboard and mouse as they are low performing. Save the USB3 sockets for stuff that can make use of the extra speed.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

If there is anything to choose, I would use USB2 sockets for keyboard and mouse as they are low performing. Save the USB3 sockets for stuff that can make use of the extra speed.

this isnt what im saying which slot is hardwired as slot 1? so i know which one to put the keyboard into.. they used to have designated slots when they used ps2 ports. but now they are non labeled usb ports. im just guessing which one is slot 1 and which one is slot 2. they are hardwired. one of them comes first. lol

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Agree for the most part, but personally I still use USB 3.0 sockets, but on my USB 3.0 hub, thus freeing my mobo slots for other things.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

or would it be wired 1 and 2 from the motherboard up? its confusing because youd think if it was they would be turned facing the other way.

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

im guessing this is one and two not the other way around.

mSVNugx.jpg

why exactly do you want the usb ports numbered? All that matters is whether it's 2.0 or 3.0, etc. numbering the ports doesn't change how they perform

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

why exactly do you want the usb ports numbered? All that matters is whether it's 2.0 or 3.0, etc. numbering the ports doesn't change how they perform

no it makes a huge difference because the computer is going to recognize which device is plugged in first as the first device. you dont want your mouse plugged in first because if they fail you'll want your keyboard to operate the bios.

and hey if you guys dont believe me flip them around and you'll see it feels like your driving in reverse or something.

15 minutes ago, nelska said:

1. which is where the keyboard goes because the keyboard plays a more important role than the mouse

2. in a master slave scenario.

1. This is highly debatable since without a mouse, it is hard to even use the computer, let alone play a game... But with just a mouse, I have access to an on screen keyboard, so i have both, even if less convenient.

2. We're not in a master slave scenario for USB ports

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, nelska said:

and hey if you guys dont believe me flip them around and you'll see it feels like your driving in reverse or something.

I've used them in different ports before and it made no difference whatsoever, bios is still just as accessible. Have you been smoking a certain 5 leaf plant?

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

1. This is highly debatable since without a mouse, it is hard to use the computer, let alone play a game... But with just a mouse, I have access to an on screen keyboard, so i have both, even if less convenient.

2. We're not in a master slave scenario for USB ports

everything electrical is master slave the top plug in an outlet is master the second is slave. 20 years ago computers didnt even come with mice because they werent necessary to operate a computer. you need the keyboard vitality for the f keys in old style pc. it still plays that role

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I've used them in different ports before and it made no difference whatsoever, bios is still just as accessible. Have you been smoking a certain 5 leaf plant?

no im just really old and rememer they used to have designated slots for each for a reason. and from what i remember they wouldnt even boot if the keyboard wasnt plugged in.

17 minutes ago, nelska said:

everything electrical is master slave the top plug in an outlet is master the second is slave. 20 years ago computers didnt even come with mice because they werent necessary to operate a computer. you need the keyboard vitality for the f keys in old style pc. it still plays that role

I'm not an electrical engineer, so I may be missing an aspect there, but I am familiar with how machines function today, and I've never seen a situation where one usb port was primary/master. They all go back to a usb controller in the computer, which is what you're calling the master of the relationship. I feel like you're more thinking of those linked sata cables. As far as I know and in my own experience, this is not how usb ports works. Any USB port should work for any device, and there shouldn't be a primary

In case I'm mistaken on this, I'll bring in some smarter folks.

@PCGuy_5960 @AluminiumTech @Lurick @Aprime @Windows7ge @Techstorm970 @TopHatProductions115 @King Poet

The order may change in which the devices are recognized in the BIOS based on port & controller (ie. check port 1 on controller 1, port 2, then Port 1 on controller 2, port 2, port 3, etc.) but by the end of initializing all the devices will be recognized and behave the same.

I will agree where I've had instances where the keyboard wan't recognized during boot-up when I wanted to get into the BIOS. That was usually due to the keyboard being plugged into a controller that the BIOS didn't check for devices on startup. Usually USB3.0. It's possible there's a setting in the BIOS that would rectify that but I would usually find any ol two 2.0 ports and just plug them in there.

For the motherboards I use there's usually two 2.0 ports near the PS/2 combo port. Kind of self explanatory what the board designers intended them for.

However for the most part you should be able to use any two ports. At least after boot. I've not done extensive testing on this. Just speaking from what I've observed.

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The order may change in which the devices are recognized in the BIOS based on port & controller (ie. check port 1 on controller 1, port 2, then Port 1 on controller 2, port 2, port 3, etc.) but by the end of initializing all the devices will be recognized and behave the same.

I will agree where I've had instances where the keyboard wan't recognized during boot-up when I wanted to get into the BIOS. That was usually due to the keyboard being plugged into a controller that the BIOS didn't check for devices on startup. Usually USB3.0. It's possible there's a setting in the BIOS that would rectify that but I would usually find any ol two 2.0 ports and just plug them in there.

For the motherboards I use there's usually two 2.0 ports near the PS/2 combo port. Kind of self explanatory what the board designers intended them for.

However for the most part you should be able to use any two ports. At least after boot. I've not done extensive testing on this. Just speaking from what I've observed.

nicely put i bet you could see in bios 1 or 2. thanks.

31 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm not an electrical engineer, so I may be missing an aspect there, but I am familiar with how machines function today, and I've never seen a situation where one usb port was primary/master. They all go back to a usb controller in the computer, which is what you're calling the master of the relationship. I feel like you're more thinking of those linked sata cables. As far as I know and in my own experience, this is not how usb ports works. Any USB port should work for any device, and there shouldn't be a primary

@PCGuy_5960 @AluminiumTech @Lurick @Aprime @Windows7ge @Techstorm970 @TopHatProductions115 @King Poet

i know im just very particular about this stuff. lol. thanks.

@nelska @Jtalk4456 I hear that I have been summoned...

These brief articles should help:

To answer the question, modern USB uses a host-device topology, which means that it technically is a variant of the master-slave paradigm. However, that has been coming under question as of late, due to the modern capabilities of many devices (allowing them to act as both master and slave in many circumstances). USB is becoming a lot more modular, so that may become irrelevant within the next 7 years or so...

4 hours ago, nelska said:

everything electrical is master slave the top plug in an outlet is master the second is slave.

Whaaaaaa...?

20 years ago computers didnt even come with mice

J_Jonah_Jameson_laugh.gif.58270f057b95ab5f83a8a565fa8ce513.gif

Yes they frickin' did!  xD   Maybe not 30 years ago, but 20 years?  Absolutely!

Do keep in mind that Apple has been including mice with all of their computers since 1983.

they werent necessary to operate a computer. you need the keyboard vitality for the f keys in old style pc. it still plays that role

This is where you're correct.  To this day, mice or trackpads are not needed to operate your computer.  They certainly make it like 100 times easier, but the keyboard is really the only input device you absolutely NEED.  The Function keys (or "f keys") are definitely awesome and let you do some cool things.  F5 reloads the webpage, Alt + F4 closes the window.  Many games use F11 for taking screenshots.  However, the F-keys are not "vital" in many instances.  For example, wanna learn how to turn off your computer in Win10 using ONLY your keyboard???

Win+X+U+U

-OR-

Win+X+U+DownArrow+DownArrow+Enter

No F keys there. :P 

4 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@Jtalk4456 is right.  There is no "Master USB" port, just USB ports that directly communicate with a USB controller on the CPU or motherboard.  Haven't had much experience with SATA, much less "linked SATA cables," so I can't say anything there.  But, yeah, Jtalk is right.

4 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm s-s-SMARTER?!?!?!

tenor.gif?itemid=4474073

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

On 11/24/2018 at 4:14 PM, Techstorm970 said:

1. Win+X+U+DownArrow+DownArrow+Enter

2. I'm s-s-SMARTER?!?!?!

tenor.gif?itemid=4474073

1. That feels like an old school video game cheat code XD

2. Smarter than me, yes. In general, I don't know enough of how smart you are, but your use of anime memes indicates well

2 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

That feels like an old school video game cheat code XD

That's what I thought when I typed it! xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy