Incredibly dumb mistake (AS Adhesive)

Minseok
Go to solution Solved by Minseok,

So, I was lucky enough that the epoxy stuck onto the H100i more than the CPU itself.

The copper plate on the H100i took a lot of beating with the sandpaper, but if I can I'll get a replacement if I can.

Replacing a single copper plate could be a viable option here.

As the CPU, the substance wasn't much on it except a few drops on the edges, thus making it easier to take it with a razer blade.

Everything is working great. 

I'd like to thank Priller a ton for this, I'll find a repay you for the idea.

I went into the bios and set my core clock to raise the temperatures and I hit about 103 C before it finally pop off by itself (scared the living hell out of me).

*I read that 105 C is the max you should allow it to hit, so it was do or die.

tumblr_mz3whgjdZC1rhvebko3_500.jpg

tumblr_mz3whgjdZC1rhvebko1_500.jpg

tumblr_mz3whgjdZC1rhvebko2_500.jpg

I guess the only thing good about this is that I didn't put a huge glob of adhesive to make it a terrible nightmare.

It took me about an hour and a half to get off the adhesive dried on the H100i, got most out with a flat razer.

I also put the copper plate in a cold place for a while so it would help take off the residue..helped a lot.

Even though AS Adhesive is -40 C to >140 C it turned out well.

tumblr_mz42rngAS81rhvebko1_500.jpg

So my stupid self a few months ago built a computer and bought this adhesive thermal paste.

I have 3 components in issue with this mistake.

H100i, 3770k and a motherboard.

I didn't even mix in any paste in it to make it easier to take off, and so this epoxy is really stuck on this thing.

I do have a plastic bag big enough to fit all three components in for a freeze/crack (only plausible option).

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do. 

This is going to suck in the future for me, although my temperatures are fine.

Used: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Feel free to trash on me, but give me advice. :(

Nisi credideritis, non intelligetis.

"Precaution:

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will 

stay attached forever."

Try contacting them. 

Edit: I would be scarred shitless if I was you. 

Best case scenario, I can afford new parts by the time it becomes a problem. :(

You'll probably last a couple generations of hardware, but yeah if a part completely fails, you're pretty screwed.

If you really need to get the parts off, I'd say freeze them, but if you do freeze crack it off the thermal paste will still be on the components. You'd just need a new processor and cooler so $400 witch kinda sucks, we all make mistakes. 

life lesson, never use adhesive thermal paste, especially as an enthusiast.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Yeah that sucks man :(

I feel for you. 

the site says "It is NOT intended to be used between a CPU and the CPU heatsink" 

Precaution:

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will 

stay attached forever.

Sounds to me like your out of luck for any easy way to take it off.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

If you really need to get the parts off, I'd say freeze them, but if you do freeze crack it off the thermal paste will still be on the components. You'd just need a new processor and cooler so $400 witch kinda sucks, we all make mistakes. 

If I could do that, I could probably sand it off or atleast apply some sort of solvent effectively.

If I could do that, I could probably sand it off or atleast apply some sort of solvent effectively.

Freeze crack the cooler and cpu apart so the CPU can come out of the socket, then you WILL need a new cooler but, you might be able to get it all off the CPU

or de-lid afterwards, however freezing electronic components is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

if you glued together the cpu and the heatsink its kinda problem there

but I guess your motherboard and maybe your pump will survive if you take it off by force

if you manage to sepparate your cpu from the pump then you  can pull out the cpu from the board, you can use something else to remove the adhesive

Freeze crack the cooler and cpu apart so the CPU can come out of the socket, then you WILL need a new cooler but, you might be able to get it all off the CPU

I believe I'll be able to get it off the H100i...but that's better than losing 3 components.

You can still salvage the CPU by removing the IHS if you manage to separate the H100i.

Impossible in my position..but will think about this if it does end up that way.

if you glued together the cpu and the heatsink its kinda problem there

but I guess your motherboard and maybe your pump will survive if you take it off by force

if you manage to sepparate your cpu from the pump then you  can pull out the cpu from the board, you can use something else to remove the adhesive

The issue is that the Intel is strapped in. So it's underneath a bracket unlike the old AMDs. 

Would have been great though..if only there was a way to get it out together..

I want to thank everyone for their help.

I'm going to try and flip open the CPU and try to pry it from an aerial view.

Hopefully this will be plausible.

This just made my week anyway if your feeling ultra ballsy you can unscrew the h100i take off it's backplate and drill out the screws for the cpu socket and all you would have to do is remove the IHS but i would only do this if all else fails.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

you should take some pictures from all angles, maybe we can think of somethting

honestly dude, if temps are fine and there are no issues atm leave it.

worry about it when it becomes a problem. and maybe then it will be brittle enough to just break the glue.

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Alot of adhesives will come off with heat. 

I would try to raise the CPU temp to 80+ C for an extended period of time. You can also try a heat gun.

Then shut it down and while it is still warm attempt to twist the H-100 off.

honestly dude, if temps are fine and there are no issues atm leave it.

worry about it when it becomes a problem. and maybe then it will be brittle enough to just break the glue.

I'm thinking of just leaving it be, but if I can do something..perhaps it would be best now. But I haven't seen any problems in the past 6 months and still strong. Even when I overclocked.

Alot of adhesives will come off with heat. 

I would try to raise the CPU temp to 80+ C for an extended period of time. You can also try a heat gun.

Then shut it down and while it is still warm attempt to twist the H-100 off.

Any suggestions on how to get such a high temp. I couldn't get it above 58 C lol

you should take some pictures from all angles, maybe we can think of somethting

There is little room to work with unless you flip the CPU vertically with the plate, CPU, and H100i being glued together.

tumblr_mz2ocsqnUo1rhvebko1_500.jpg

I'm thinking of just leaving it be, but if I can do something..perhaps it would be best now. But I haven't seen any problems in the past 6 months and still strong. Even when I overclocked.

Any suggestions on how to get such a high temp. I couldn't get it above 58 C lol

I'll upload some earlier in the day. Just imagine there is little room to work with unless you flip the CPU vertically with the plate, CPU, and H100i being glued together.

Yeah. Turn it on quiet and unplug one of the fans on the H-100. Or with it in quiet raise your CPU Vcore, just be very careful if you do so. Temps can get out of control very quickly as we are wanting controlled heat.

Yeah. Turn it on quiet and unplug one of the fans on the H-100. Or with it in quiet raise your CPU Vcore, just be very careful if you do so. Temps can get out of control very quickly as we are wanting controlled heat.

I hope this will be possible, I'll try this later today. I need to reach around for the fan cords for one of the fans.

I doubt this, because this stuff is really resistant to heat x_x

I hope this will be possible, I'll try this later today. I need to reach around for the fan cords for one of the fans.

I doubt this, because this stuff is really resistant to heat x_x

Yup. That is why I said to do higher temps for an extended period of time. If you can while it is running you can attempt to twist the H-100 off while it is hot and running. 

This would be a last resort but may work. Just make sure your thermal protections are on so it will shut down before it gets hot enough to do damage.

You can still salvage the CPU by removing the IHS if you manage to separate the H100i.

It will still be stuck in the socket on the motherboard though. He would still need to get the h100i off the cpu.

Yup. That is why I said to do higher temps for an extended period of time. If you can while it is running you can attempt to twist the H-100 off while it is hot and running. 

This would be a last resort but may work. Just make sure your thermal protections are on so it will shut down before it gets hot enough to do damage.

Sounds good. I actually took the bracket off. The glue holds the darn thing in place without even on. And the motherboard turns off immediately after heating too hot temperatures. Many OC attempts proved that quite well xD

It will still be stuck in the socket on the motherboard though. He would still need to get the h100i off the cpu.

Actually, it would come off and be stuck on the h100i. and make the  task a lot easier to deal with to be honest. But I have no experience or the nerve to go for the IHS lol