Is an actual true sine wave inverter possible?

Shadow_Storm56

I am curious, is it actually possible to have a true sine wave inverter for real or is a true sine wave inverter, even really high end ones used in off grid homes just an inverter with a much larger amount of steps to give an essentially pure sine wave? or is there actual circuitry that is in high end inverters that will allow to creation of a perfect sine wave that would match that of the grid?

If you're asking is it possible to create a mathematically perfect sine wave, then I'd say no for a variety of reasons, but for all intents and purposes, yes, you can create extremely good ones that would have no practical difference.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

Even with analog technology you don't get perfect waveforms. There is always a thing called distortion you can measure.

Fair point, 

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you're asking is it possible to create a mathematically perfect sine wave, then I'd say no for a variety of reasons, but for all intents and purposes, yes, you can create extremely good ones that would have no practical difference.

So if generated power by grid sources and inverter power are slightly different couldn't you pick them out on an ossioscope? Like if you were next to a solar farm for example. You could see the stepped wave form mixed with the smooth? Or are the steps so small that it would all just blend together ?

11 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

So if generated power by grid sources and inverter power are slightly different couldn't you pick them out on an ossioscope? Like if you were next to a solar farm for example. You could see the stepped wave form mixed with the smooth? Or are the steps so small that it would all just blend together ?

If you zoomed in enough you'd see noise or other abnormalities in anything, but on any good equipment, they're well, "within the noise" - ie, such small imperfections that it doesn't matter and for all intents and purposes it's considered perfect.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you zoomed in enough you'd see noise or other abnormalities in anything, but on any good equipment, they're well, "within the noise" - ie, such small imperfections that it doesn't matter and for all intents and purposes it's considered perfect.

So its would be so small you wouldn't be able to find the stepped waveform amongst the fine noise. I guess other buddy is right as well, even generated power will have noise as nothing is perfect. Cool thanks for the info 

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

So its would be so small you wouldn't be able to find the stepped waveform amongst the fine noise. I guess other buddy is right as well, even generated power will have noise as nothing is perfect. Cool thanks for the info 

I don't mean to imply that every sine wave is made "digitally" and would consist of tiny steps, just so that's clear

3 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I am curious, is it actually possible to have a true sine wave inverter for real or is a true sine wave inverter, even really high end ones used in off grid homes just an inverter with a much larger amount of steps to give an essentially pure sine wave? or is there actual circuitry that is in high end inverters that will allow to creation of a perfect sine wave that would match that of the grid?

Nothing requires a true sinewave!

9 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Nothing requires a true sinewave!

Agreed. Most household electronics are completely rectifier based, so they can run on messy AC, or even DC. Just last week I watched a dell 1440p monitor turn on and function as normal on 100v DC. That being said, some things do require AC like inductance motors, but anything self commutating or with a rectifier can run on both.

ASU

18 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

As for achieving this electrically with a cheap box you can plug into your cigarette lighter, no.  And it rarely matters.

However, you absolutely can have a true sine wave by using a mechanical inverter (or rotary converter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_converter ).  The simplest form is a DC motor that drives an alternator.  When you think about it, it's actually pretty obvious.  Electroboom shows a simple 3 phase inverter he made in this video (around the 9 minute mark):

17 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

As for achieving this electrically with a cheap box you can plug into your cigarette lighter, no.  And it rarely matters.

However, you absolutely can have a true sine wave by using a mechanical inverter (or rotary converter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_converter ).  The simplest form is a DC motor that drives an alternator.  When you think about it, it's actually pretty obvious.  Electroboom shows a simple 3 phase inverter he made in this video (around the 9 minute mark):

I did not think of that, although running a DC motor to an ac generator seems like it would be less efficient than an inverter as all that mechanical loss. 

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't mean to imply that every sine wave is made "digitally" and would consist of tiny steps, just so that's clear

Oh I know that just the digital sine waves are steppy not all sine waves.

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Agreed but not absolutely pure sinewave. Close enough is good enough!

I think a real true sine wave inverter is just saying closer to real and in the high quality ones the number of steps and configuration allows the output power to match the effect of generated power.

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I did not think of that, although running a DC motor to an ac generator seems like it would be less efficient than an inverter as all that mechanical loss. 

Yes, using a motor to turn an alternator is not particularly efficient, but it is a simple to understand example.  Purpose built rotary converters worked differently.  Although they made a perfect sine wave, they are now obsolete, because close enough is good enough.

The problem with consumer inverters is they use the simplest and crappiest of techniques (because it's cheap).  On a commercial or industrial scale electrical inverters are actually pretty good and the noise in the line often completely conceals the steps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

18 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Yes, using a motor to turn an alternator is not particularly efficient, but it is a simple to understand example.  Purpose built rotary converters worked differently.  Although they made a perfect sine wave, they are now obsolete, because close enough is good enough.

The problem with consumer inverters is they use the simplest and crappiest of techniques (because it's cheap).  On a commercial or industrial scale electrical inverters are actually pretty good and the noise in the line often completely conceals the steps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

The sine wave will never be perfect except in mathematics due to noise. Background EMI is enough to disrupt it to no longer consider it perfect. If you're talking theoretical, then sure an alternator would create a perfect sine wave but practically it will not.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, 2FA said:

The sine wave will never be perfect except in mathematics due to noise. Background EMI is enough to disrupt it to no longer consider it perfect. If you're talking theoretical, then sure an alternator would create a perfect sine wave but practically it will not.

Of course, but the issue being discussed in context is not theoretical perfection, only "pure" sine wave versus discreet stepping.  You're right that "perfect" was not the correct term, apparently the technical term used in the industry is "pure".

The problem on the table here is the creation or recreation of AC power is if it were coming out of a wall-socket.  In that regards turning an alternator could be just as "pure" (or perfect) as what your local power plant is producing (if they're making AC power natively).  I'll try to be more careful with my wording next time.

This thread almost makes me want to (somehow) hook up mains electricity to a test system at work to look at more closely. Without having done so, I'm willing to bet the purity of the power by the time it reaches a home isn't that great. It will be distorted by the various devices attached taking power in a non-linear way. There are standards on appliances in how they take power to minimise this.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

This thread almost makes me want to (somehow) hook up mains electricity to a test system at work to look at more closely. Without having done so, I'm willing to bet the purity of the power by the time it reaches a home isn't that great. It will be distorted by the various devices attached taking power in a non-linear way. There are standards on appliances in how they take power to minimise this.

May be a fun experiment. Some places do have bad noise and some have weird voltages so who knows. Overall things are consistent but it's a fun experiment to see how things are

I just so happen to have a 1000V scopemeter so here are some captures.

At the Wall

vTIkgUf.jpg

eHsk1Qq.jpg

Off the inverter of cyberpower PFC 1800

0kftQFB.jpg

MGCW8Sv.jpg

Seems pretty good for a sub 300$ ups.  There is more noise at the peaks and the peak actually shifts forward on the UPS.  Im sure this waveform would not be any issue for most loads.

Heres some other captures I had when I was messing around with a triac based dimmer and different loads. Figured someone might find this interesting.  A input is supply power and the B input is the load.  B input is also half scale and offset down 1 unit 

20140221_113508_zps7cd690c5.jpg

20140221_113449_zpsddad1c77.jpg

20140221_100837_zpsd0416e4e.jpg

20140221_100746_zps1bd3b15c.jpg

20140221_100735_zps67eb354e.jpg

20140221_100716_zpsce9580b7.jpg

20140221_100622_zps7560e665.jpg

Nice, idk alot about reading scopes but cool either way. What's going on with the dimmer bulbs? Noise? I see 2 sets of lines with one being jagged.