Can somebody explain the point of mail-in rebates?

mandrigald

I understand how they work, and the process of them and how the consumer can benefit and such. However, I don't understand the point of the companies even offering one, how do they benefit in any way? Plus, why do they have to put this unnecessary process in there, why not just lower the items price? This may be a stupid question but I don't understand this.

Probably because most people wont do it because of the work involved instead of just doing nothing for a lower price. It makes people buy the product because of the "low price" that they never get.

Oh okay, so they put it there to make it look like the consumer will get a deal in the long run which will give motive to buy the product, knowing that many consumers wont seize this opportunity due to the work involved?

I never bother with it, and the rebate for my mobo was outdated by a month lol. Stupid Amazon.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Oh okay, so they put it there to make it look like the consumer will get a deal in the long run which will give motive to buy the product, knowing that many consumers wont seize this opportunity due to the work involved?

Yes,I remember @LinusTech explained this in a stream of his.

It's basically a way to attract people to buy a product, what the company counts on is that the better % of people won't bother with it, or properly follow the instructions. Most people don't do them because their a hassle, and it takes like 6-8 weeks to get it back. It's just a marketing scheme really

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Yup. There's a high % of people that will never capitalize on it. These days they're usually a lot easier, just having to go to a website and filling in a few fields.

That said, I was still too lazy to do that when I had a $75 MIR with my power supply.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My rule is that if it's 15$+ it's worth doing

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

It's a business trick (Sort of a scam) companies use. To most people, it appears as a discount, and believe it or not, their are some people who will buy it just because it's on discount. Automatic Discounts from the company itself are the best since theirs no loops you have to go through however MiR gives companies all sorts of ways to screw you over. 

Most people wont remember to do them. They look like a great savings, and they are, but companies know that people wont cash them in.

Yes,I remember @LinusTech explained this in a stream of his.

Yup I think it was the stream where he was playing Rome II

If manufacturers really wanted you to have the product at the rebate price, they would have made the product that price in the first place.

The money for mail in rebates come from the company instead of the store so the stores will be able to give you a lower price then they could have before without losing money.

The money for mail in rebates come from the company instead of the store so the stores will be able to give you a lower price then they could have before without losing money.

Not really, b/c the manufacturer could just credit the store $x for each unit sold.

They make the consumers go through the hoops of MIR hoping many consumers either will forget to do it or screw it up and they won't have to pay out.

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |

The point of a MIR is that the company wants to give a personal discount. If the store Gives a $20 discount, then the store lost $20 per purchase. If the company gives a $20 MIR then the company then the company gives $20

The point of a MIR is that the company wants to give a personal discount. If the store Gives a $20 discount, then the store lost $20 per purchase. If the company gives a $20 MIR then the company then the company gives $20

^This it doesn't cost the retailer where as just a flat discounted price would.  Coupons work similarly except the business eats the cost of the coupon initially and is later reimbursed by the manufacturer.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

$200 dollars, $20 mail-in-rebate. they recieve the full payment, and collect interest on it then give you the $20 back, they get there interest boost to cover what they are giving back. on a small scale dealing with <10% interest it dont seem like much, but when you have a multi million, even billion dollar company,  it works.

(i may be wrong, or have some thing miss directed, but this is how it was taught to me, and it make sense)