At Least We're Not Alone: NSA Spies on Members of Congress, Too

PillowSmoke

ku-xlarge.jpg

The NSA responded today to Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders' letter asking if the agency spies on members of the U.S. Congress and other elected officials. Its response says the NSA treats Congress the same as regular citizens. Which seems like a roundabout way of saying "yes."

Here's the exact wording of the statement, courtesy The Guardian:

NSA's authorities to collect signals intelligence data include procedures that protect the privacy of US persons. Such protections are built into and cut across the entire process. Members of Congress have the same privacy protections as all US persons. NSA is fully committed to transparency with Congress.

Emphasis added.

Does this mean that members of Congress might be using hacked iPhones or other devices with NSA backdoors? The NSA sure isn't going out of its way to say anything to the contrary. Meanwhile, the agency's (most likely illegal) phone records collection program just got a 90-day extension from James Clapper, director of national intelligence. Knowing that Congress is likely being spied on too is very, very small solace.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/at-least-were-not-alone-nsa-spies-on-members-of-congr-1494694757

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

so is the nsa also spying on my dog?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

hopefully our future kids understand that this is retarted and the NSA dies out this generation.... worst case scenario, our future children accept the tyranny and dont give a fuck. looking at todays children, i think we should act fast cuz the future children wont care.

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

So Congress are potential terrorists as well?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The NSA is like a rabid dog. It attacks everyone, even it's owner. Anyone know how you stop a rabid dog?...

If this is true and its not just a ploy to calm the public then i think changes are on the horizon.

So how much longer until the piss of every living creature on this planet by invading their privacy?

hopefully our future kids understand that this is retarted and the NSA dies out this generation.... worst case scenario, our future children accept the tyranny and dont give a fuck. looking at todays children, i think we should act fast cuz the future children wont care.

Dear World, I sincerely regret to say that your child: privacy has died in this year. The murder was the NSA, unfortunately we are not giving a fuck. Yours truly, Our generation

Dear World, I sincerely regret to say that your child: privacy has died in this year. The murder was the NSA, unfortunately we are not giving a fuck. Yours truly, Our generation

i couldnt have put it in simpler meaning 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Everybody is talking about it, but nothing is happening. I don't see people on the streets about it.

I wonder if all these people bitching would like to get on a plane and go live in say North Korea? I am sure you won't get fed to the dogs AT ALL. How about Russia? I mean, if it isn't for the Anti-Gay government and SORM, and the damn cold, and the oppressive regime, I am sure it would be a lovely place to live. How about Britain... do you mind the CCTVs among other things?

I wonder if all these people bitching would like to get on a plane and go live in say North Korea? I am sure you won't get fed to the dogs AT ALL. How about Russia? I mean, if it isn't for the Anti-Gay government and SORM, and the damn cold, and the oppressive regime, I am sure it would be a lovely place to live. How about Britain... do you mind the CCTVs among other things?

i would go live in Norway or the other Icelandic countries up north  

i would go live in Norway or the other Icelandic countries up north  

And why? You realize that Norway is doing most of the what the NSA is doing, and providing this information to the US and Her Allies... Hmmmm, interesting indeed.

And why? You realize that Norway is doing most of the what the NSA is doing, and providing this information to the US and Her Allies... Hmmmm, interesting indeed.

Britain and china are also doing the same thing. at this rate there really isnt a safe place now is there. unless you wanna go live in a remote island

Britain and china are also doing the same thing. at this rate there really isnt a safe place now is there. unless you wanna go live in a remote island

Actually what the NSA is doing isn't the end of the World or some tin foil hat conspiracy. The US Government has more data on me then say you or most if not all the people on this forum. Am I that scared? Nope, not at all. They've had this data for quite a long time, actually, ever since I first got into the Air Force. I've been through all the Polygraph tests (there is actually three main ones which not many people actually know. Counterintelligence, Lifestyle, and Full Scope.) Hell they even talked to my exs, teachers, neighbors and the works! (And its redone every so often). Trust me, there is NOTHING to be so scared about nor feel unsafe.

Actually what the NSA is doing isn't the end of the World or some tin foil hat conspiracy. The US Government has more data on me then say you or most if not all the people on this forum. Am I that scared? Nope, not at all. They've had this data for quite a long time, actually, ever since I first got into the Air Force. I've been through all the Polygraph tests (there is actually three main ones which not many people actually know. Counterintelligence, Lifestyle, and Full Scope.) Hell they even talked to my exs, teachers, neighbors and the works! (And its redone every so often). Trust me, there is NOTHING to be so scared about nor feel unsafe.

dont you feel bad that they think your not trusted enough. im pretty sure no other country (give or take a few (Cough*) China) trust their people that are being governed.

dont you feel bad that they think your not trusted enough. im pretty sure no other country (give or take a few (Cough*) China) trust their people that are being governed.

Trusted? Why would I feel that way? Honestly do you know how many attacks come from a Countries own citizens? Or people releasing classified information that cost lives? Or blow operations? Or endanger operations. Necessary evil. You can't have total privacy with total security. Maybe in fiction, but not in the real world.

Trusted? Why would I feel that way? Honestly do you know how many attacks come from a Countries own citizens? Or people releasing classified information that cost lives? Or blow operations? Or endanger operations. Necessary evil. You can't have total privacy with total security. Maybe in fiction, but not in the real world.

that is all true. Not denying the fact that this is all possible. But if individuals wanted to seek out an attack it can be possible at any time. Anywhere. I mean the truth in the most recent of events was the Boston bombings. Sure they caught the guys but where was the detection of the so called bombing. They were plotting it on twitter

that is all true. Not denying the fact that this is all possible. But if individuals wanted to seek out an attack it can be possible at any time. Anywhere. I mean the truth in the most recent of events was the Boston bombings. Sure they caught the guys but where was the detection of the so called bombing. They were plotting it on twitter

Here is the mistake, you're expecting perfection. We know based on leaks and released data that it did work quite a lot of times throughout the World. Now, do you expect your car to work one hundred percent of the time for thirty years or over time will it break down? Of course, something is going to happen to a part. But we don't pull cars off the road because of it. We only do that, if there is a safety defect. How about your computer? Sometimes shit happens, anyone that says it must work one hundred percent of the time doesn't really understand the World in my book.  

If Congress men and women didn't already know about this(many of us techs have known about this even before 9/11 and the Patriot act that's why a lot of us opposed it) then I bet they found out a year or two ago and didn't have any control of it.

I bet now they will be getting sick of this just like us and will limit or theoretically destroy the NSA shutting it down entirely.

If not the current generation of Congress, but more then likely the next will oppose the NSA, but by then it could be too late. All I know is that I'm moving to Canada.

I am currently in the 10th grade. Believe me, we have bigger problems for the future generation

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

NSA is just a bit out of control, they wanna know it all. They should just realise that it is just not possible to see all and limit their powers to what truelly needs to be looked at. Although I think it is better to spy on the congress then normal citizens, because those guys have much more power and I bet corruption is not a rare occurence. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates