Opinions on People Over-building their PCs

JujuShinobi

Just yesterday I went to a friend's house. His PC has an i7-2600k and a 7770 with a 1440x900 panel and plays games like MechWarrior and BF4. His dad however... good lord. Has a Haswell i7-4770k on a B85 Asus motherboard with a GTX 760. DOES NOT GAME, only watches movies giving the excuse that he wants the PC to remain relavent for a long time. When I heard this I just flipped a table. And here you have people like me struggling on a mobile Intel Pentium.

What are your thoughts on things like this?

Whatever strokes your goat really.

Compatible with Windows 95

If its his money he can spend it how we wants tbh...

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

If its his money he can spend it how we wants tbh...

True and I can't deny that. But it's just... wha....

True and I can't deny that. But it's just... wha....

Does sound a bit pointless but hell a Ferrari will get you to the shops the same as a fiat, but most would still want a Ferrari :)

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

kinda good kinda bad my mum still has her pentium dual core from 8 years ago they see it as more of a car and along term investment and dont want to stay on the bleeding edge of tech

kinda good kinda bad my mum still has her pentium dual core from 8 years ago they see it as more of a car and along term investment and dont want to stay on the bleeding edge of tech

8 year old Pentium? Oh boy haha. Even the Athlon X4 750k will beat that. But if she isn't complaining about it unlike me, well good for her haha

Honestly it pisses me off to see people overbuilding when they don't need it or don't use it. My dad uses his PC to play civ 3 and go on Facebook and yet he wants an i5 and a "good" gpu. I keep telling him he does not need it but hes got a Celeron G530 and its pretty slow.

8 year old Pentium? Oh boy haha. Even the Athlon X4 750k will beat that. But if she isn't complaining about it unlike me, well good for her haha

1gb of ram and windows xp all the way

I don't see whats wrong in that situation. He wants a computer that will last him a while, and he has one. Is that not a valid reason? 

If he has the money, it would be a bad decision to buy something cheap and then have it be absolute shyte after a year or two.

And here you have people like me struggling on a mobile Intel Pentium.

Seems to sum up the entire situation imo.  :)

Potato

Why not let them spend their money on what satisfies them? It's their money after all. I didn't need 32GB when I was running an X79 build either but it made me feel good inside, why should your opinion on whether or not it's "efficient" be allowed to ruin that? I earned the money and knowingly spent them on something I knew was overkill.

It's his money, if he wants to spend his money on it he can.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

If you have the money, why not? The same question can be applied to people modding their cases when "they can just get a case that already has everything they want."

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I want an i7 :(

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

When Sarcasm was here he had either a 4930K or a 3930K (I forgot which) and two Nvidia 7xxx cards (I forgot which they were).

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

In my opinion it's all on preference. You can have a good i5-3350p & GTX 760 build for around $750 to $800 so it's all about what is going to do it for you. Can you live with lower than 1080p resolution? Yes, but it's kind of become the norm. Do you absolutely have to have a GTX 760, no probably not. There are cheaper solutions that will get you where you are comfy gaming at least. It's all a matter of preference.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

Honestly everything combined that I've spend on my pc+setup+ etc probably totals 5500$ usd, and it may be a bit more once I finish watercooling.

Could I have spent less and probably had the same thing? Yes probably.

Do I use the parts I bought to the fullest extent? Sometimes, but not on an everyday basis.

My thoughts are on this matter is, over-preparing is much better than underpreparing, on the off chance I ever need to render a super duper quality video that's 19234124 hours long, or run a minecraft server for 129341234 people, render a 3d model of the entire world+cities or run 12341243 virtual machines, atleast I have the power to do it already.

(I know some of this is like "lolwat" but you get the point)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Is there such thing as over building anything? I think the only way to over build is to over stretch what you can actually afford and go into debt building.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I get slightly annoyed by it too, my friend decided against a 4670k and a 780 over a 4770k and a 770 because he "edits(procratinating to install Sony Vegas in 3 months now)"

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I overbuilt mine because I had no idea, I thought I did, I'd researched it for ~6months, but no. Could of saved a few $100.

I don't really care one way or the other if this guy wants to overbuild his PC to surf the web more power to him. That being said with everything going on in the world today getting pissed off over an overbuilt PC "because they don't need it" is stupid and childish. To be honest I think this is more on the lines of jealousy and envy.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

My opinion on overbuilding is that it's only a problem if you've spent extra money on stuff that you don't need.. If a person is only playing midrange games on a 1600x900 panel, there's no need for a 780 or 290, so either of those would be overkill in my opinion.. The money would be better spent on a good SSD, or just saved for future use.

I tend to hold the belief that getting a midrange build and upgrading it every two years is better than building a beast rig and than expecting it to last 5-6 years.. Prices at the high end of the market tend to increase faster than the performance increases, so spending more than what you can use right now is somewhat wasteful.. Then again, like others have said, what a person wants to do with their money is their own decision, so I won't stop someone from overbuilding if they want to. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

My grandpa just bought a PC with a 760, A 4770k, 16gb ddr3 1833 ram, and dual 1TB HDDs. Upgrade from his old pentium dual core 1.86Ghz, 1GB ram, iGFX, 40gb IDE HDD.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

My grandpa just bought a PC with a 760, A 4770k, 16gb ddr3 1833 ram, and dual 1TB HDDs. Upgrade from his old pentium dual core 1.86Ghz, 1GB ram, iGFX, 40gb IDE HDD.

ALSO: He hasn't played a video game since his atari 2600 broke.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

If he has the money why not? who cares... Also it piss's me off when people say someone over builds there pc... THEIRS NO SUCH THING...

Case: Corsair white 600T | Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: intel i5-357OK oc to 4.3 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Graphics Card: Evga 660 Ti FTW signature 2 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GBPower supply: ModXstream-pro 600W | SSD: Samsung 840 Series | Keyboard: Corsair K70Mouse: Corsair M65 | MonitorAsus VS228H-P 22-inch | 2nd Monitor:  Viewsonic 22 inch-LED 3rd Monitor: LG 32 inch tv | Mic: audio-technica AT2020 USB | Headset 1:  Audio technica ATH-M50s | Headset 2: Corsair Vengeance 2000.