Opinions on People Over-building their PCs

JujuShinobi

If he has the money why not? who cares... Also it piss's me off when people say someone over builds there pc... THEIRS NO SUCH THING...

There is such a thing, if you get better specs than you'll need. However spend money how you like, even if it's considered "overbuilding". I got a 4770k even though an i5 2500k would've got the job done.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

There is such a thing, if you get better specs than you'll need. However spend money how you like, even if it's considered "overbuilding". I got a 4770k even though an i5 2500k would've got the job done.

Nope. If you have the money to spend who cares... If i had the money i would have the best pc i could build. Just because i can. You may think there is BUT THERE is no way. Also the FACT that you people get mad over someone's pc because its better than they need is childish.

Case: Corsair white 600T | Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: intel i5-357OK oc to 4.3 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Graphics Card: Evga 660 Ti FTW signature 2 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GBPower supply: ModXstream-pro 600W | SSD: Samsung 840 Series | Keyboard: Corsair K70Mouse: Corsair M65 | MonitorAsus VS228H-P 22-inch | 2nd Monitor:  Viewsonic 22 inch-LED 3rd Monitor: LG 32 inch tv | Mic: audio-technica AT2020 USB | Headset 1:  Audio technica ATH-M50s | Headset 2: Corsair Vengeance 2000.

It's not wrong to want nice things.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I probably overbuilt my PC when I first put it together, but it was my hard earned money! :D

Will probably do the same thing again this year.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

When Sarcasm was here he had either a 4930K or a 3930K (I forgot which) and two Nvidia 7xxx cards (I forgot which they were).

He actually had a Nehalem i3

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

My pc is over built  for me... But guess what if i had the money it would have the best pc parts that i could find. Just because i could.

Case: Corsair white 600T | Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: intel i5-357OK oc to 4.3 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Graphics Card: Evga 660 Ti FTW signature 2 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GBPower supply: ModXstream-pro 600W | SSD: Samsung 840 Series | Keyboard: Corsair K70Mouse: Corsair M65 | MonitorAsus VS228H-P 22-inch | 2nd Monitor:  Viewsonic 22 inch-LED 3rd Monitor: LG 32 inch tv | Mic: audio-technica AT2020 USB | Headset 1:  Audio technica ATH-M50s | Headset 2: Corsair Vengeance 2000.

I love over building and over engineering in general, for example I bought a Rolex oyster perpetual datejust It's build like a tank, It's guaranteed waterproof to a depth of 100 metres when am I going to use that!? But I love the thing and I normally just check the time on my phone!!! It's the whole not because we need to but because we can.

Also in terms of a gaming computer over building, It's nice to know whatever game I throw at it I'll get fantastic FPS at whatever detail settings I want.

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

Does sound a bit pointless but hell a Ferrari will get you to the shops the same as a fiat, but most would still want a Ferrari :)

Yeah but would they drive it slower than 30mph on the way to the shops? That would be the equivalence. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

No such things as overbuilding or overcomplicated. If you have the skills and time,money to do it..... ITS WORTH DOING!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Well its sort of sad that they don't take use of the full potential of the PC but it might be eventually useful if this computer is given to another user in the family who has use for it or it will be a great computer for a couple of years with i7s.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Nope. If you have the money to spend who cares... If i had the money i would have the best pc i could build. Just because i can. You may think there is BUT THERE is no way. Also the FACT that you people get mad over someone's pc because its better than they need is childish.

that wasn't my point at all. My point was it IS overbuilding because you are spending more than you need to to get more performance than you need. In my definition that is what over building  is. I didn't say I had a problem with it, if i had the money I'd be running three 780ti's and a 3960x, even though my 4770k is already more than I need and a single 780ti would get me more than 60fps in almost all my games. TO BE 100% CLEAR; Over building is possible, but overbuilding is NOT a problem. If you want to play flash games with a 7990 GO AHEAD!

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

To me, the term 'overkill' is based on how much money is owned by the person, and what his purpose is. For instance, if you were a millionaire and you decided to invest $10,000 on the best computer possible, it wouldn't really be overkill because you'd have more than enough to do it, even if all you do is browse the internet. That being said, if you're some jobless guy with only $25,000 in the bank, and you invest $5,000 on a really good computer to play Crysis 3, that would be overkill, because under normal circumstances you'd probably be broke in a few months or years. But if you're a guy with $200,000 in the bank and you spend $10,000 for a computer that can browse the internet, overkill. If you're a guy with $200,000 in the bank and you spend $5,000 for a computer to play Crysis 3, it's fine. Different people have different amounts of money and purposes, and I really think of overkill as how big of a fraction you spend. 

a Haswell i7-4770k on a B85 Asus motherboard

Overcloking CPU + non-overclocking chipset.

I... just... don't... understand...

This statement is false.

Yeah but would they drive it slower than 30mph on the way to the shops? That would be the equivalence. 

But it would be a nicer journey in the Ferrari

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

3/4 the time I'm on my computer I'm watching videos and stuff. 

If I didn't game at all I'd still buy all the stuff I have just because I love computer hardware.

Old shit no one cares about but me.