A new project begins...

AdroG23

Hi guys! 
Ok, this is the deal. My cousin and i are tech enthusiasts. I'm more of a hardware savvy and my cus is the soft guy.

Togheter we're starting a custom build enterprise. So far so good, as far as making custom builds goes it gets easy enough, but i can't get settled with that and want to start making custom cases. Not only modifying standard cases but building them from the ground up.

I'm interested to work in weird shapes with materials like Aluminum (or Aluminium if you prefer), wall to wall acrylic, glass, wood, and combos of that.

So, any suggestions, tools i might need, ways to work some of those materials that you can recommend?

I'm open to all comments, since this is the first time i start building cases like this

I'll start off by saying you're going to need a tape measure.

+1 pls

but really though, this sounds great! i can't recommend anything but I do wish for your success. 

16 minutes ago, DVA said:

I'll start off by saying you're going to need a tape measure.

+1 pls

but really though, this sounds great! i can't recommend anything but I do wish for your success. 

Thank you!!!!! ^^ 
As soon as we start making projects i will be uploading them

11 minutes ago, Derrk said:

definitely gonna need a cnc machine for those precise cutouts 

The cutouts will most likely bemade by a third party, at least for the time being.

Funny thing, down here, make something yourself is riddiculously expensive but pay someone else to do it for you... not that much

Just now, AdroG23 said:

The cutouts will most likely bemade by a third party, at least for the time being.

Funny thing, down here, make something yourself is riddiculously expensive but pay someone else to do it for you... not that much

buying a cnc machine will be a large initial investment, but if your company grows, it'll save you money down the line. Vertical integration 

• 2 years later...

Most invaluable tool you guys will need is a heavy duty table saw. 2-3 different blades for different materials. 

Router for making round holes and moulding edges (either fillets or chamfers). Does not need to be powerful, you can do multiple passes. A circle cutting jig would also be nice...or you could make one yourself. 

Good files

2 types of calipers: measuring caliper and marking caliper. Marking calipers have hardened tips. Marking calipers are invaluable if you drill all holes by hand.

Drill press. 

Most of all, one of you must learn the ways of the machinist. Because somebody has to fabricate all of the parts. And being a machinist means dumping "good enough" faster than the closing call white whale...

10 hours ago, PriitM said:

Most invaluable tool you guys will need is a heavy duty table saw. 2-3 different blades for different materials. 

Router for making round holes and moulding edges (either fillets or chamfers). Does not need to be powerful, you can do multiple passes. A circle cutting jig would also be nice...or you could make one yourself. 

Good files

2 types of calipers: measuring caliper and marking caliper. Marking calipers have hardened tips. Marking calipers are invaluable if you drill all holes by hand.

Drill press. 

Most of all, one of you must learn the ways of the machinist. Because somebody has to fabricate all of the parts. And being a machinist means dumping "good enough" faster than the closing call white whale...

i remember this old house were he would do it all on his table saw... and the million jigs he had.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

For PC cases you'll need the exact measurements of all the holes. In my opinion there's really no more direct source than the spec sheets themselves:

The protocase page on designing computer cases (https://www.protocase.com/resources/how-to-design-for-motherboards/) can for understanding the spec sheets.

Depends how much you want to outsource and how much you want to do yourself but at a minimum an assembly space with parts bins and dedicated tools.

Even if you say have a case fully made you may still need to assemble some parts.

If doing some fabrication, drill press, bench grinder, sander, sheet metal bender, plastic hot bender, router/routing table, bandsaw, cnc machine, laser engraver, paint booth, PPE and gun,....

Depends how much you want to do.

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i remember this old house were he would do it all on his table saw... and the million jigs he had.

The main question you need to answer to yourself is: would you buy (put down that much money) for the price you would have to ask. That is the thinking of any customer at the end of the day. 

For example, in the wake of this generation of CPUs and GPUs, im designing 4th gen of a PC case. CNC cut plywood and salvaged ATX case parts. So far, I have spent over $300 for the first 3 gens. Will probably pay $60-70 for the 4th gen parts. 

Outsourcing CNC costs a lot. Usually companies have a flat fee to start up the machine. Where I Iive its between $30-50, depending on the company. On rare occasions they can quote you only cutting time price if they have lots of work in shop. 

Having a million jigs is useful only when you have lots of same parts to do. If you do all one-offs, having good machining practises will save you alot of time!

1 hour ago, PriitM said:

The main question you need to answer to yourself is: would you buy (put down that much money) for the price you would have to ask. That is the thinking of any customer at the end of the day. 

For example, in the wake of this generation of CPUs and GPUs, im designing 4th gen of a PC case. CNC cut plywood and salvaged ATX case parts. So far, I have spent over $300 for the first 3 gens. Will probably pay $60-70 for the 4th gen parts. 

Outsourcing CNC costs a lot. Usually companies have a flat fee to start up the machine. Where I Iive its between $30-50, depending on the company. On rare occasions they can quote you only cutting time price if they have lots of work in shop. 

Having a million jigs is useful only when you have lots of same parts to do. If you do all one-offs, having good machining practises will save you alot of time!

it was kinda a joke.... that you didn't get i guess? oh i guess it was called the new yankee workshop? still dose no seem right. i remember this guy (thought was bob vila ) would start the tv show in his yard and walk to his work shop that was long and was on stilts had to stip up in the the door. and he did like 90% of the tv shows with his table saw and made jigs. any that was my point haha all good.

(oh back then there was no cnc so.... table saw it was)

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links