Has your PSU been quiet and reliable ?

m0k

If yes, Please let me know what PSU you have been using.

I am on the market for a new 550W - 650W PSU as the yateloon fan on my old corsair is permanently running at its max 2000+ rpm now and its way too loud

I was initially going to try to replace the fan - but i personally am not comfortable with the risk of....dying...

my budget is within $130 CAD (100 USD) and preferably 80+ gold. Currently looking at the Seasonic 650W Focus Plus

Please dont just blurt out answers with PSU's that you have personally not used.

Thanks

edit: pc specs: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/dgFxTB

Photography / Finance / Gaming

The Focus is decently quiet. 

You can't get my PSU anymore but since you asked, the EVGA 550GS. Not advisable to buy it if you can find it though.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

No for the Focus+ I bought and then promptly returned last weekend - it had motor noise issues. 

CX650 in my parents PC has been going fine as far as I know, they don't even use 100w though... 

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

27 minutes ago, mok said:

but i personally am not comfortable with the risk of....dying...

Well you're no fun.

Anyways, It's out of your wattage range but my Corsair RM750 is awesome. I've only gotten the fan to kick on a few times (during HEAVY benchmarking) but it's dead silent when it does. I'd definitely get another Corsair PSU if my current one died. 

~Air Cooling Advocate~

4 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Well you're no fun.

Anyways, It's out of your wattage range but my Corsair RM750 is awesome. I've only gotten the fan to kick on a few times (during HEAVY benchmarking) but it's dead silent when it does. I'd definitely get another Corsair PSU if my current one died. 

RM is also kinda old now :P there's also 2 variants, 1 from Chicony and 1 from CWT, if you have literally any other airflow in your case then the Chicony one is better, if your case is totally fanless with few air holes then the CWT variant may prove advantageous 

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

1 minute ago, awesomegamer919 said:

RM is also kinda old now :P there's also 2 variants, 1 from Chicony and 1 from CWT, if you have literally any other airflow in your case then the Chicony one is better, if your case is totally fanless with few air holes then the CWT variant may prove advantageous 

how can you tell the two apart?

11 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Well you're no fun.

i dont mind buying a higher wattage, just a little overkilll for my pc

but now that i took a look into corsair, i see the RMx (2018) are all in my budget 

1 hour ago, mok said:

how can you tell the two apart?

Looking into the back of the PSU, either way, it's an old design that's been EOL for years, it's not something you should be buying nowadays :)

PCs:

3 hours ago, mok said:

Please dont just blurt out answers with PSU's that you have personally not used.

Do you know what reviews are? Do you know why those exist?

I have absolutely no idea why you're looking for a 550-650W PSU to power a 200W build, so I'll just recommend PSUs based on the build, and actual testing of the PSUs. 

Formula 450W. Performs decently, and it's quiet. 

RM550x 2018. Performs well and it's very quiet. 

If you insist on the PSUs I've used, the Prime Titanium 650W has been quieter than the rest of the PC. That doesn't say much. I also can't say if it's been reliable, as I haven't used an oscilloscope to check if the ripple has gone nuts. 

:)

3 hours ago, mok said:

If yes, Please let me know what PSU you have been using.

I am on the market for a new 550W - 650W PSU as the yateloon fan on my old corsair is permanently running at its max 2000+ rpm now and its way too loud

I was initially going to try to replace the fan - but i personally am not comfortable with the risk of....dying...

Yeah, good choice.

As replacing the fan is very dangerous, the PSU can overheat and other stuff might happen...

As for the PSU:
Bitfenix Formula or Whisper M are decent, 450 and 550W, 650 and up is louder but you won't need it anyway.

And yes, I have them both:

https://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/threads/429202-User-Review-Bitfenix-Formula-450W-by-Stefan-Payne

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f238/userreview-bitfenix-whisper-m-850w-stefan-payne-1150826.html

Cougar GX-F could eventually be an option, its OKish from the noise perspective but not great (light Motor/Bearing noise and a bit higher fan RPM; comparable to the Bitfenix Whisper M 850W).

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f238/user-review-cougar-gx-f-550w-stefan-payne-1199161.html

Silverstone Strider Platinum is also an Option, though I really do not like their Semi Fanless implementation much:
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f238/userreview-750w-silverstone-strider-platinum-st75f-pt-von-stefan-payne-1122573.html

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, mok said:

Unless messing with things power wire still connected to wall, worst that can happen is defibrillator like single "kick".

Which would certainly at least hurt lot...

But without knowing what kind fan and its control that PSU uses there's risk of causing overheating of something by replacing fan.

As for topic line can't claim low noise level for PSUs of earliers PCs.

15+ years ago avoiding noise wasn't high in PSU design priority list and most just had fixed speed fans. :P

Put last three PSUs, from Seasonic, have certainly done good job in avoiding unnecessary fan noise.

(models from original M12-serie, first X-serie and now Prime Titanium)

8 hours ago, mok said:

i dont mind buying a higher wattage, just a little overkilll for my pc

650W and even 550W is already that for GTX 1060 level graphics card.

Gaming draw of that PC is likely 250W.

17 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Unless messing with things power wire still connected to wall, worst that can happen is defibrillator like single "kick".

But without knowing what kind fan and its control that PSU uses there's risk of causing overheating of something by replacing fan.

False, the bulk capacitor holds enough charge to kill you, people have actually died messing around with PSU internals, even when unplugged.

https://www.cnet.com/news/teen-electrocuted-while-working-on-unplugged-computer/

As for topic line can't claim low noise level for PSUs of earliers PCs.

15+ years ago avoiding noise wasn't high in PSU design priority list and most just had fixed speed fans. :P

Put last three PSUs, from Seasonic, have certainly done good job in avoiding unnecessary fan noise.

M12 has a shitload of other issues as is well known for being somewhat noisy, not sure on X series, but both PRIME and FOCUS(+) models are known for bearing noise, the FOCUS also has issues with some GPUs if OP wants to upgrade...

400w would be enough, a good quality 400/450w >>> a meh 550/650w, higher wattage tends to equal more noise at low loads.

PCs:

I have 2 PC's with Seasonic M12II-620 EVO and Seasonic Focus Gold PLUS 650W. Their both stable and quite. I advise you taking the Focus Gold Plus as its newer and better.

19 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

False, the bulk capacitor holds enough charge to kill you, people have actually died messing around with PSU internals, even when unplugged.

https://www.cnet.com/news/teen-electrocuted-while-working-on-unplugged-computer/

Certainly even lot less is enough, if managing to put all current through heart.

Even from rather low voltage source, especially if having say wire pierce skin bypassing most of body's normal resistance.

And any kind heart condition could increase its vulnerability to disturbance.

But pulse of DC is relatively safe compared to any AC.

Though if happening at same time with heart starting its beat that would likely increase risks.

Anyway reporters making selling headlines aren't the most accurate sources.

Suspect there were aggravating factors like skipping jumpstarting PSU after disconnecting it from wall to empty capacitors and cheap garbage PSU without bleeder resistors.

17 hours ago, seon123 said:

Do you know what reviews are? Do you know why those exist?

I have absolutely no idea why you're looking for a 550-650W PSU to power a 200W build, so I'll just recommend PSUs based on the build, and actual testing of the PSUs. 

Formula 450W. Performs decently, and it's quiet. 

RM550x 2018. Performs well and it's very quiet. 

If you insist on the PSUs I've used, the Prime Titanium 650W has been quieter than the rest of the PC. That doesn't say much. I also can't say if it's been reliable, as I haven't used an oscilloscope to check if the ripple has gone nuts. 

appreciate the honestly, 

Also under a full load on all cores when im rendering video or exporting raw files / or even under a gaming load - the CPU turbo's to 4.3ghz on all 6 cores and the TDP in reality is closer to 100-115 watts.as apposed to the stock clock 65watt tdp

Unfortunately TDP calculators on pcpartpicker dont take that into account. 

i have also found that not enouvh 500ish watt PSU have enough sata cables, and i plan on running a raid 1 setup for my archived content. (in addition to the existing drives)

11 hours ago, EsaT said:

like mentioned earlier, an all-core turbo of 4.3ghz results in a much higher TDP of around 100 watts on the cpu alone

also im hoping to get 550-650 because it would allow for my psu to run at peak(ish) efficiency at a 50% load

11 hours ago, EsaT said:

I concur.

We have a number of people, especially in EU, that replace the stock SF fan with Noctua's 92mm fan.  We've done the same and have found that while it is quieter at lower loads, it cannot support proper cooling at higher loads and is actually louder at those loads (despite not being able to keep up).

PSU companies don't tend to "throw whatever fan fits" into a PSU.  End users often do tend to think they know best, but that typically back fires on them unless they're running a corner case.

So could we stop telling people that there is no problem replacing the fan?

11 hours ago, EsaT said:

Not true.

There's a ton of pretty quiet PSU that are older than 15 Years.

Though that are mostly OEM units that came with the system.
That goes back to the 90s.

So to claim that Noise wasn't an issue is not true. It always was and always will be...

11 hours ago, EsaT said:

Yeah, like lying on the Label of the unit for example:

https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_m12ii-520_bronze_evo_edition_ss-520gm2_2015/?s=all

And not supporting the 2 rails claim with the right Protetion chip like a PS223 or WT7527 and have shunts and solderjoints for that.

That unit clearly is not a "Dual Rail", yet that's what the Label claimed.

And also look at this:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

XFX XT500 is a more or less standard Seasonic S12II-Bronze - and doesn't have OCP anywhere, not even on minor rails, so the 3,3V has to fall to 1,8V before it switches off...

I really do not get where the Hype over Seasonic comes from.

Yes, some units from them were decent, but they are also rather loud...

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=151496&postcount=26

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Thermaltake 850w RGB

EVGA 850+

EVGA 750+

all are fully modular bought them all off of newegg.com depending how soon you need it might effect the price. I've paid less then 100usd for each one.

I want to say last week they had the 750 on sale for 79 then an additional 20 mail in rebate.

I prefer the evga with the 2 eps12 plugs on them they work great in servers or the new threadripper/i9 desktops

i9 9820x @4.2 - MSI X299 Sli plus - 32gb Quad DDR4 G.skill3400 - MSI Gaming x 2070 Super - EVGA 1300 SupernovaG2 Gold -  500NVME WD Blue & Optane 32gb + WD Blue4tb - Enermax 360Aio - Vigor GK80 - MSI DS200 - Dual MSI Mag 271R

building - supermicro x9 - e5-2660 128gbddr3

supermicro x8 - e5648 24gb ddr3