Intel might outsource 14nm prod to TSMC

VanayadGaming

Intel is encountering tight 14nm process production capacity in-house, and is looking to outsource part of its 14nm chip production to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), according to industry sources.

Intel intends to give priority to its high-margin products mainly server-use processors and chipsets amid its tight 14nm process capacity, and therefore plans to outsource the production of its entry-level H310 and several other 300 series desktop processors to TSMC, the sources indicated.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180910PD210.html

Intel's latest update is that its 10nm chips will not be ready for commercial production until the fourth quarter of 2019.

Intel had been adopting the so-called "Tick-Tock" model under which every microarchitecture change is followed with a die shrink of the process technology, but the "Tick-Tock" production cycle started slowing down in 2014. Intel's 14nm manufacturing node has become the "longest-lived" process technology in the chip giant's history, the observers noted.

I think the delay of the 10nm really will say its word when TSMC produces intel chips. 

And thinking AMD reaches 7nm before intel's 10...just makes me warm inside.

I think we will get 14nm++++++++++

then after that 10nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If this "Tick-Tock" production cycle continues on slowing down.

And then AMD will start beating Intel as is was in the 20's.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

3 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

I think the delay of the 10nm really will say its word when TSMC produces intel chips. 

And thinking AMD reaches 7nm before intel's 10...just makes me warm inside.

2hm8t1.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, Void Master said:

More like 14nm####

1 minute ago, Void Master said:

2003 was gulden

Just now, Warrie said:

2003 was gulden

I think 2019/2020 may be diamond !!!

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Just now, Void Master said:

I think 2019/2020 may be diamond !!!

Just a wee bit of time will tell

2 minutes ago, Warrie said:

Just a wee bit of time will tell

Well I am starting to have more hope in AMD then intel .

I am becoming an AMD fan .

2 minutes ago, Void Master said:

let's see if we can get a better single thread score first

@VanayadGaming

I believe if AMD works hard they might get 10% to 15% more single core performance  when the move from 12nm to 7nm, this will make them toe to toe with intel coffeelake .

And this will be great even if intel catches up with is 10nm !

And AMD still beats intel in performance per value which is amazing !

23 minutes ago, Void Master said:

then after that 10nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If this "Tick-Tock" production cycle continues on slowing down.

Sorry for the noob question, what do the plus stand for in the 14nm++.

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

Just now, Zic05 said:

Thanks

it stands for improved , refined , reused process

31 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

Thanks

Nothing. Process node names are completely arbitrary. The only thing you can be certain of is that Intel 10nm is smaller than Intel 14nm, while TSMC 7nm is not noteworthy smaller than Intel 10nm.

What Intel is trying to convey with the ''+'' is improvements in manufacturing. As production ramps up, the foundries gain experience and are able to deliver products with fewer defects. Allowing the average chip to clock higher, run at a lower voltage and/or produce less heat.

There exist a standard for determining process name schemes, but due to the process name only containing a single value (transistors are 3D objects) and the realities of researching and producing transistors. The standard can only be loosely followed. This has been further complicated recently with the addition of fins, which makes the shape of transistors more complex, thus a single number value will be even worse at accurately describing the size.

As to the validity of these rumors... i highly doubt it. TSMC can't just adjust their 12FFC (12nm FinFetCompact) machinery to produce Intel P1272 (Intel 14nm) overnight. It doesn't really make allot of sense. If Intel requires allot of 14nm wafers in the very near future, TSMC can't really do much to help. If Intel needs allot of 14nm Wafers long term, there is little reason not to just increase Intel's own capacity. If the rumors are true, the circumstances would have to be very specific. Intel needs 14nm Wafers for a limited time, so paying a premium for a few hundred thousand Wafers without buying the tools to produce them.

I'm not really sure how TSMC would deliver either. TSMC is very busy producing the Apple A12 CPU, and is probably in the process of delivering 7nm to AMD for their upcoming ''Vega 20'' GPU for the professional/enterprise market. Further down the line in 2019, AMD and Nvidia will be needing allot of 7nm Wafers for the mainstream market. Considering global foundries is staying on 14nm, TSMC would be best off just selling a portion of their machinery to Intel and let Intel deal with the hassle of producing Intel P1272 wafers.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

This is not how silicon fabrication works.  You can't just send your design to another company and have them make it as though you're doing a 3D printing job.

Intel does use TSMC already for some stuff that isn't "worth" making in-house, but it's not an easy task to send an existing design.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, Void Master said:

I highly hope by how Intel and AMD are moving forward to building the process nodes for their chips, AMD will, eventually, develop the smallest ( I suppose will begin after the 7nm craze, already have moved their 7nm dies to TSMC) and surpass the gap between Intel clocking their cores so much higher than AMD.

They will kick back with smaller efficient transistors inside their dies, making the die smaller and fitting more and more cores into it and still sustaining high clock speed with a nice IPC. 

console.log("way to pro");

Wow, in the near future we might end up in a situation were TSMC are producing wafer for Intel & AMD at the same time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This will be chipset only, maybe with  an adjusted design. With CPUs it wouldn't work great without a complete redesign

4 hours ago, MMKing said:

Nothing. Process node names are completely arbitrary. The only thing you can be certain of is that Intel 10nm is smaller than Intel 14nm, while TSMC 7nm is not noteworthy smaller than Intel 10nm.

What Intel is trying to convey with the ''+'' is improvements in manufacturing. As production ramps up, the foundries gain experience and are able to deliver products with fewer defects. Allowing the average chip to clock higher, run at a lower voltage and/or produce less heat.

There exist a standard for determining process name schemes, but due to the process name only containing a single value (transistors are 3D objects) and the realities of researching and producing transistors. The standard can only be loosely followed. This has been further complicated recently with the addition of fins, which makes the shape of transistors more complex, thus a single number value will be even worse at accurately describing the size.

As to the validity of these rumors... i highly doubt it. TSMC can't just adjust their 12FFC (12nm FinFetCompact) machinery to produce Intel P1272 (Intel 14nm) overnight. It doesn't really make allot of sense. If Intel requires allot of 14nm wafers in the very near future, TSMC can't really do much to help. If Intel needs allot of 14nm Wafers long term, there is little reason not to just increase Intel's own capacity. If the rumors are true, the circumstances would have to be very specific. Intel needs 14nm Wafers for a limited time, so paying a premium for a few hundred thousand Wafers without buying the tools to produce them.

I'm not really sure how TSMC would deliver either. TSMC is very busy producing the Apple A12 CPU, and is probably in the process of delivering 7nm to AMD for their upcoming ''Vega 20'' GPU for the professional/enterprise market. Further down the line in 2019, AMD and Nvidia will be needing allot of 7nm Wafers for the mainstream market. Considering global foundries is staying on 14nm, TSMC would be best off just selling a portion of their machinery to Intel and let Intel deal with the hassle of producing Intel P1272 wafers.

Maybe they are making the chipsets not the cpus?

Who ever tought we will see such developments ? :))

Its funny because Intel doesnt even need 10nm or 7nm, all they have to do is remove the iGPU on their desktop chips which occupies 1/3 of the silicon wasted, and replace it with more cores for the same price, with their Ring bus architecture and higher OC, AMD will have competition for long time to come.

Intel stuborness to sell you 1/3rd useless silicon with every CPU is going to bury them, really it doesnt make any sense.

2 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Who ever tought we will see such developments ? :))

Its funny because Intel doesnt even need 10nm or 7nm, all they have to do is remove the iGPU on their desktop chips which occupies 1/3 of the silicon wasted, and replace it with more cores for the same price, with their Ring bus architecture and higher OC, AMD will have competition for long time to come.

Intel stuborness to sell you 1/3rd useless silicon with every CPU is going to bury them, really it doesnt make any sense.

Ringbus doesnt scale well with extra cores. There is a reason meshbus exist. The more cores the worse latency and IPC. 

That iGPU is a huge part pf their sales in office spaces, doubt they will remove it unless they make a seperate "gaming" skue, but that is not where the money is at. Not to mention the iGPU is rather useful for hobby videoeditors and more due to the iGPU being utilized.

Also adding cores means adding heat, something that cant go on forever. Not to mention yield will get worse the more cores they add.

Intel very much needs a new macroarchitecture and node to keep competetive in the coming years.

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Maybe they are making the chipsets not the cpus?

They are; and primarily the lower end chipsets. It'd be too risky to start taping out high performance silicon at another foundry, not to mention the drop in confidence from investors.

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

all they have to do is remove the iGPU on their desktop chips which occupies 1/3 of the silicon wasted

except a large majority of people dont need a dGPU so cutting it out would actually drive up costs of the devices since they would need need a separate GPU of some description (regular desktop PCs, Laptops, Tablets etc). Intel's primary market is not gamers who need a powerful GPU and CPU

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒