Why does Linus Pirate Windows??

CPotter
29 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

With all the BS Microsoft demands, I'd look into benchmarking in Linux (with Wine if needed).  That'd solve a lot of these issues. 

wine is crap

if you're gonna use linux use software that runs natively on linux

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

wine is crap

if you're gonna use linux use software that runs natively on linux

then it wouldn't be comparable, because no one is using linux except nerds and developers, no one plays on linux

1 minute ago, SlayerScout said:

How about Microsoft KMS, would this not work better in linus's case?

watch the video, then comment 

1 minute ago, wojtepanik said:

watch the video, then comment 

Just did. He never mentions KMS. 

Seems like the right solution here, although I agree running unactivated is also acceptable. 

5 minutes ago, Techrocket9 said:

Just did. He never mentions KMS. 

Seems like the right solution here, although I agree running unactivated is also acceptable. 

he said, that it is not the case of entering license, because it will be always recognized as new device, so kms wouldn't make a diffrence

I run a Linux based KMS emulator (TinyKMSv6) at work. Microsoft is okay with this as long as we have the licenses to back it up. We've had audits, and they never seem to have a problem with it.

I've never had activation issues since spinning that VM up and setting the DNS entries. Even when swapping SSDs into completely different hardware.

26 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You're also limited by support on Apple's OS. 

You actually aren’t. If you ever need to use Windows exclusive software on a Mac, simply fire up Bootcamp and install Windows 10. 

This is kind of flexibility essentially eliminates all other laptops that aren’t Macs from my list of potential buys. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For a test bench it makes sense.  I don't see an issue.  Now if everyone's workstation was inactivated that's a different story however that doesn't seem to be the case.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

28 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

But then you're bound to HW you might not want.

Never had an issue with swapping hardware on my machines running grey market keys. Even if that were the case, going Grey market you could replace an entire license over 5 times and only just equal the price of a retail license. 

Windows 10 is worth, maybe $50-60 to me. Not the $100+ that they ask. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That just doesn't seem like it is worth the money.  I'm already fucked in terms of price to performance ratios

Sure, but generally Macs have much lower cost to own numbers. In the lifespan of the machine, assuming there isn’t a catastrophic failure, a Mac tends to be a more solid investment. 

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

and if I want to support I have to spend 100 plus on another OS!  That doesn't seem logical at all to me.

You don’t have to spend $100 to get Windows 10, you could spend $22 on Kinguin. And since the hardware will never change with a Mac, there is no risk. 

If you buy a Mac you intend to run macOS significantly more than you plan to run Windows. If that Windows Software you needed was mission critical, you should have bought a PC instead. So your argument doesn’t actually have a foundation. 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

In order to use Mac OS you have to buy a Mac, and if you don't then it's a Hackintosh which is illegal.  It's also illegal to use those OEM keys because you're breaching a contract in order to use them. 

Oh noes, big scary Microsoft and Apple are going to smite down everyone. 

48 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Some people actually think Linus uses pirated Windows? That not pirated, Microsoft does let you try it out for normally 30days before you have to buy a license and activate it.

There is no time limit.

You can use it unactivated forever.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hey, that kid doesn't know I'm stealing from him!  Let's all do it!

If you dont protect your IP, it’s not your IP.

Saying “you can’t do this” and having literally no consequences to end users who do do “that” thing is a sure fire way to get people to do that “thing.”

36 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

soo you are linux psycho and you don't know basic diffrences between those 2 environments, which makes it impossible to compare?

Once you decide on a methodology, you stick to it.  That way you can compare hardware just fine.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Once you decide on a methodology, you stick to it.  That way you can compare hardware just fine.

linus is sticking to what is demanded by people, 95% of viewers never even used linux, so they are not interested in anything connected to it

But, they have sued people for at least selling them.

They will only sue people for reselling. Because then, and only then are they are losing something. 

If MS and Apple want to sue everyone who has downloaded their OS  and breached their EULAs....well....heh, I'd like to see them try. 

1 minute ago, wojtepanik said:

linus is sticking to what is demanded by people, 95% of viewers never even used linux, so they are not interested in anything connected to it

95% of his viewers wouldn't even notice.  All they see is that card X scores 20% better than card Y.  How those numbers were achieved doesn't matter to them.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

95% of his viewers wouldn't even notice.  All they see is that card X scores 20% better than card Y.  How those numbers were achieved doesn't matter to them.

yeah, have you heard about drives? they are not developing them as quickly for linux as they do for win, some games won't even run on linux, directX hmm ?

Tell you what, go to their headquarters and give them proof you did it.  Let's see how they respond.  The only reason they don't sue in the masses is that it would cost too much money to sue that many people, and it would take a lot of time to do that.  That's why they just ignore you and deactivate your license.  Nintendo, on the other hand, would because Nintendo.

the same as winrar, they don't care that you use expired trial, by allowing people to use it for free, they beacame the biggest player on the market, that allows to charge money from big companies, that are obliged by local laws to use full versions

3 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

yeah, have you heard about drives? they are not developing them as quickly for linux as they do for win, some games won't even run on linux, directX hmm ?

Sometimes drivers can indeed be an issue if you're testing the latest newest hardware, but then again they are never optimized in the first weeks on the Windows side either, and that's when everyone is running their benchmarks.  So the results are incorrect anyway.

Driver support is also rapidly improving, I bought one of my 1070s on launch day and had no issues with that on either platform.

As for DirectX-only games, just pick other ones to do your benchmarking or use a compatibility layer.  That's why I mentioned Wine to begin with, although Valve's new one could also be an option.

TBH I wouldn't pay for Windows anymore, they make as much off my data anyway.

6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Sometimes drivers can indeed be an issue if you're testing the latest newest hardware, but then again they are never optimized in the first weeks on the Windows side either, and that's when everyone is running their benchmarks.  So the results are incorrect anyway.

Driver support is also rapidly improving, I bought one of my 1070s on launch day and had no issues with that on either platform.

As for DirectX-only games, just pick other ones to do your benchmarking or use a compatibility layer.  That's why I mentioned Wine to begin with, although Valve's new one could also be an option.

every compatibility layer brings impact to performance, using linux to play games on some sort of VM is like lesbian using a dildo, hipocrytic

1 hour ago, CPotter said:

Given that Windows 10 is ransomware (minus the encryption). who is pirating who?  

Ransomware means that the software holds you hostage until the user pays an additional licensing fees just to gain access to administrator rights. Meanwhile Microslop is busy selling every shred of your personal data to the highest bidder.

F$%K MICRO$LOP.

6 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

every compatibility layer brings impact to performance

Doesn't matter as long as the impact is the same across the board, which it will be as long as they don't start mixing Wine results with native Linux, Win7 and Win10results.  All that matters is that they stick to the same testing methodology throughout their tests.

Is there a reason LTT doesn't have a VL (volume licensing) agreement and use either MAK keys or KMS? 

Running Win10 as a VM is allowed under licensing,  but you have to have a VL and VDA licenses.  Otherwise VDI deployments wouldn't exist.