What to Get for My Birthday?

PlayStation 2

I had to ask sometime.

My 18th birthday is coming up, and I haven't a damn clue as to what to ask for.

Should I try my luck on asking for a monitor? If so, what monitor would be a great thing to go for?

Should I just try asking for money so I screw myself over instead of my parents on a stupid purchase?

I dunno, throw ideas at me.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

maybe ask for an SSD. it doesn't look like you have one and their are nice to have.

3 minutes ago, rmathiasen said:

Get a ThinkPad. You can never go wrong with a ThinkPad.

yeah you can, most after the T60 or T420 Suck

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, rmathiasen said:

Get a ThinkPad. You can never go wrong with a ThinkPad.

No plans on asking for a laptop. Frankly, I don't need one for now.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

maybe ask for an SSD. it doesn't look like you have one and their are nice to have.

Hmm... maybe I could do that.

You could always just ask for some money, and then save up for a car that you want?

Yeesh... All I ask for with my birthday is the day off... but that wish hasn't been granted in more than 5 years O.o

If there is something you're really wanting, let people know...ask for gift cards to a place you can get it.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

yeah you can, most after the T60 or T420 Suck

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

No plans on asking for a laptop. Frankly, I don't need one for now.

Hmm... maybe I could do that.

In memoriam of his PNY SSD that windows probably killed

2016ish?-2017

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I don't really mind what I get for my birthday. It's the thought that counts. Just being with the family is a blessing. 

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

In memoriam of his PNY SSD that windows probably killed

2016ish?-2017

dam that was fast. I've now had 3 SSDs running in systems my oldest being an 850 evo and the cheapest being a 120GB sandisk and even that thing hasn't died.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Mossberg Maverick 88

Vega 56.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I agree, @Dan Castellaneta do you not have an SSD or just haven't upgraded the system in your profile? :o

10 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I agree, @Dan Castellaneta do you not have an SSD or just haven't upgraded the system in your profile? :o

I used to have one, a 240GB PNY CS1111 which died a year and three months after I purchased it. I haven’t had the chance to buy another SSD since and hard drives on Windows 10 is painful. 

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I used to have one, a 240GB PNY CS1111 which died a year and three months after I purchased it. I haven’t had the chance to buy another SSD since and hard drives on Windows 10 is painful. 

Then an SSD is perfect! It makes a huge difference to almost everything on the PC.

Otherwise ask for some money - then you can save up for something else (uni or a car or something) or just put it in a savings account somewhere and forget about it 

That's an F in the profile pic

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I had to ask sometime.

Should I try my luck on asking for a monitor? If so, what monitor would be a great thing to go for?

Should I just try asking for money so I screw myself over instead of my parents on a stupid purchase?

What monitor do you have now?? If its decent ask for cash, spend some on the SSD and save the rest. What about audio???

3 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

What monitor do you have now?? If its decent ask for cash, spend some on the SSD and save the rest. What about audio???

I'm just rocking a TV that's fairly serviceable.

I have some headphones I just bought not long ago.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm just rocking a TV that's fairly serviceable.

I have some headphones I just bought not long ago.

If you plan to continue using your desktop for a long time get a monitor. Do you game???

My brothers 20th is coming up, and me any my parents have been discussing what we should gift him.

Already has a car - Dad's car but he takes it out the majority of the time.

Has clothes, and a decent PC - 7700K and 1070.

We're giving him $1000. In gold.

hi.

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I had to ask sometime.

18? Congrats! Go treat yourself at a strip club 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mainly play Team Fortress 2.

Trust me, the TV I have is enough for that.

Get a Pocket Operator they're pretty cool little music devices for only 60$ I really like mine it allows you to create music in the form of a small pocket calculator and plenty of tutorials for them. If you would get one I recommend the Pocket Operator 20 Arcade.  Though there are several flavors for many people, such as drums & bass, chiptune, live sample configuration and etc.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

2 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Get a Pocket Operator they're pretty cool little music devices for only 60$ I really like mine it allows you to create music in the form of a small pocket calculator and plenty of tutorials for them. If you would get one I recommend the Pocket Operator 20 Arcade.  Though there are several flavors for many people, such as drums & bass, chiptune, live sample configuration and etc.

I’ve always been a bit interested in music production, but I guess my flavor would be something along the lines of playing with a TR-808. Yep, those are like $3000+. 

I dunno, I’ll see how that is. 

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mainly play Team Fortress 2.

Trust me, the TV I have is enough for that.

Yeah I know even I used to game on a TV but now that PC can't even run Windows. I guess your best bet is an SSD.

SSD or keys in TF2. But you have to gamble the keys with Mann Co crates ;)

Also, happy birthday.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Well first you should tell us realistically how much money your parents could give/buy for your birthday 20-50-200-10000 ? then we can issue some options happy birthday