Samsung Announces The Galaxy Tab S4 - iPad and Surface Competitor

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

I'm curious to know why you aren't interested in the iPad. I feel like it's alot better with 120Hz screen, better apps, better long term support, etc assuming that you don't have any other Apple devices for it to easily slot in

the 120hz (adaptive) screen is only on the pro version right?

which makes it a lot more expensive than the regular ipad.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

11 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

The pro version starts at $649 (10.5 inch version). The non pro is $300 ish something

8 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

It is, but that's not the only reason it's more expensive.  It's a larger, laminated screen that's closer to the glass.  There's True Tone color changing; a faster processor with more RAM; more storage; a better camera; better speakers; you get the idea.  You get the iPad Pro if you're either using it professionally (hence the name) or are treating it as a main portable computing device.

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It is, but that's not the only reason it's more expensive.  It's a larger, laminated screen that's closer to the glass.  There's True Tone color changing; a faster processor with more RAM; more storage; a better camera; better speakers; you get the idea.  You get the iPad Pro if you're either using it professionally (hence the name) or are treating it as a main portable computing device.

I thought the point was to get something around 500~600 including a pen.

this ipad alone is 600+

i could be mistaken though

15 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

this ipad alone is 600+

Latest iPad 9.7" is compatible with the Apple pencil.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Latest iPad 9.7" is compatible with the Apple pencil.

But doesn't come with it so an additional $120 ish 

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You get the iPad Pro if you're either using it professionally (hence the name)

I still cant associate Pro with ipad. Its like saying the dude holding his ipad in a crowd taking pictures is a professional photographer

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I still cant associate Pro with ipad. Its like saying the dude holding his ipad in a crowd taking pictures is a professional photographer

pro as in proces of elimination?

or Probably not how your going to use it.

JK

1 hour ago, FastRDust said:

If i may interject, The windows used on older models of the surface can be Windows RT this is indeed the worst variant of windows which limits you to apps from the store, However, the new version of the Windows ( limited ) is Windows S.

which also limits you to the store BUT can be upgraded to a full windows version.

I totally agree with your point of view but just a bit of extra information.

I had the Pro, with full Windows 10 (8.1 was even worse). It was still shit; Windows has a horrible touch UI.

58 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So like around same price you'd rather have Android tablet than Windows machine with x86 hm? Like I wouldn't care about it's touch aspect though.

Absolutely. I swapped my Surface Pro for an iPad pro and it was overall a much better experience. Windows sucks on a tablet.

And if you don't care about the touch aspect, then the surface (or any tablet) is beyond a stupid choice. The only saving grace for anything in the Surface stack is the pen support.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I had the Pro, with full Windows 10 (8.1 was even worse). It was still shit; Windows has a horrible touch UI.

Absolutely. I swapped my Surface Pro for an iPad pro and it was overall a much better experience. Windows sucks on a tablet.

And if you don't care about the touch aspect, then the surface (or any tablet) is beyond a stupid choice. The only saving grace for anything in the Surface stack is the pen support.

so in short towards microsoft: "these are not the upgrades we're looking for" :P

The poor fellow still doesn't have an answer.

So to sum it up:

Just go for the ipad or try it out in the apple store.

The Windows surface probably isn't as future proof.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I guess it depends what you do on a device, if you're more into tablet like usage, I see it as a handy small Windows machine. Cause anything larger than a Android smartphone I'd rather it to be a Windows machine with physical keyboard then. Not oversized smartphone.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

But doesn't come with it so an additional $120 ish 

Extra $100, still not overly expensive.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I don't get this garbage... Other than the pen support and rear camera this tablet is almost strictly worse than the Pixel C which is a 3 year old tablet. Why is the Android tablet market so stagnent? They talk about how poorly Android tablet sales do and then they release tablets that are super cut down versions of year and a half old phones?

I really hope that Google has a new Chrometab coming with their septermber announcement to actually bring some innovation and change to the market.

You can largely attribute this to the Android tablet market devolving in a similar way to the Windows PC market.

As manufacturers are using the same OS as everyone else besides Apple, competition tends to boil down to little more than price.  It's commonly been called the "race to the bottom:" in order to undercut rivals, device makers release ever cheaper, ever crappier devices with slower performance, lower quality and other cut corners.  And in the tablet market, you can really go low.  Combine that with certain markets (such as China and India) often looking for just the basics, like email and movies, and you end up with an Android tablet space where you're often punished for making anything other than a glorified Netflix viewer.

And then there's Google.  The company is notorious for having no idea how to support Android on any device that isn't a phone.  It doesn't make it easy to find tablet-native apps, and its 'solution' for encouraging tablet-native apps was to offer a handful of code that could scale some phone apps to tablet size.  Even when Android tablets were relatively big, you'd maybe find a few thousand apps that were actually designed for tablets in any way, and major apps that had iPad versions weren't getting the same treatment on Android.  Throw in that devolving Android tablet business and there's very little incentive to create Android tablet apps, which in turn hurts the hardware side.

Apple dominates the tablet market (outside of the very low end) precisely because it avoids these pitfalls.  The $329 iPad is currently as low as it's willing to go, and it has never had an iPad sell for less than $250 (and that was a previous-generation iPad mini, if I recall correctly).  You always get something that's reasonably powerful for the time, and the high-end model is always using cutting-edge tech, not last year's parts.  It's the only game in town for iOS tablets, too, so it doesn't have to compete as much on price as Android vendors do.  And importantly, Apple actually cares about tablet apps.  It's easy to make a genuinely tablet-optimized app; iPad owners will see tablet-native apps by default when they browse the App Store.

Basically: Google has no idea how to foster high-end tablets, and Android vendors feel they can't make them; Apple is able and willing to do both.

Time to sell my Tab S2, I guess. I won't actually be buying the Tab S4 as it's kind of underwhelming, but I barely use the S2 over my iPad Pro, so it's probably best to sell it off before this releases.

39 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I guess it depends what you do on a device, if you're more into tablet like usage, I see it as a handy small Windows machine. Cause anything larger than a Android smartphone I'd rather it to be a Windows machine with physical keyboard then. Not oversized smartphone.

I like to put it this way: devices like the Tab S4 and iPad Pro are tablets that can do some computer-oriented tasks, while the Surface is a computer that can do some tablet-oriented tasks.  Which you choose depends on what you want it to do.  I'd actually prefer the simplicity of an iPad if I didn't need specific work-oriented apps that aren't available on mobile tablets... yet.

56 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are certain areas where it definitely qualifies.  Artists obviously have a good reason to use it, but there's also photo and video editors (they can use it to make rough cuts in the field, if not full edits), augmented reality applications... or just people who want to work on documents with a lot of multitasking or pen-based note-taking.  It's just that it doesn't have so much raw power that it'll handle all the tasks you associate with pro computers, at least not for a while.

1 hour ago, FastRDust said:

this ipad alone is 600+

I have the current iPad Pro myself... it's really about getting something that's powerful for a tablet its size.  The pen support is just part of that!

I actually still have the 2015 iPad Pro with the 12.9" display.

I'll admit, I never use it as a "pro" would as much, but I still quite like it for general use, and that display has come in handy more than once when using Adobe Lightroom.

And those speakers. They are no joke.

That iPad though gets me noticed.....literally. Everywhere I go, the sheer size of the thing gets people asking me whether that's actually an iPad.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I actually still have the 2015 iPad Pro with the 12.9" display.

I'll admit, I never use it as a "pro" would as much, but I still quite like it for general use, and that display has come in handy more than once when using Adobe Lightroom.

And those speakers. They are no joke.

That iPad though gets me noticed.....literally. Everywhere I go, the sheer size of the thing gets people asking me whether that's actually an iPad.

it's almost like a portable 2nd monitor xD

Just now, FastRDust said:

it's almost like a portable 2nd monitor xD

It can actually be used as such.

There's an app called Duet that allows it to be used as a secondary display. The display is almost as big as the display on my old 13" MacBook Pro, so using it as an extension actually works pretty well.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I have the current iPad Pro myself... it's really about getting something that's powerful for a tablet its size.  The pen support is just part of that!

I'm 100% sure that the A10 Processor is better than the Pentium gold :P

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I like to put it this way: devices like the Tab S4 and iPad Pro are tablets that can do some computer-oriented tasks, while the Surface is a computer that can do some tablet-oriented tasks.  Which you choose depends on what you want it to do.  I'd actually prefer the simplicity of an iPad if I didn't need specific work-oriented apps that aren't available on mobile tablets... yet.

Yeah exactly, each is more toward the other side. Sans my phone I just like having other devices like my main PC Windows like for certain work a lile, files and some programs I use. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Android tablets are gone. It is nice to see Samsung given it another go, but sales of Android tablets have been extremely low.

It is for a reason why Google dropped the OS for non-phones in favors of ChromeOS for laptops, and with its highly influenced Windows 7/10 interface, it is clear that they aim for tablets running that OS when they feel the touch experience is ready.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Android tablets are gone. It is nice to see Samsung given it another go, but sales of Android tablets have been extremely low.

It is for a reason why Google dropped the OS for non-phones in favors of ChromeOS for laptops, and with its highly influenced Windows 7/10 interface, it is clear that they aim for tablets running that OS when they feel the touch experience is ready.

i'm still happy with my lenovo Yoga Book which still got an update to 7.0 recently...