Samsung Announces The Galaxy Tab S4 - iPad and Surface Competitor

5b680e519c63b_GalaxyTabS4.jpg.e8efcf68713448be9895a3441b783d36.jpg

I might be the only person on the planet still interested in high-end Android tablets, and even I missed Samsung's announcement of the Galaxy Tab S4.

Quick facts:

10.5", 2560x1600 SAMOLED screen - No word if it's pentile or full RGB subpixel matrix yet but I believe the previous ones have been full RGB. The displays on the previous Tab S devices have been great from what I have heard and seen. I am super happy that they have gone back to 16:10 aspect ratio though.

Snapdragon 835 SoC (last year's model, used in the Samsung Galaxy S8) - Disappointing to see it being last year's model and not the 845 like in the Galaxy S9.

4GB of LPDDR4 RAM - A bit on the low side for a high-end Android device but it should be fine. Would have liked to see 6GB.

64GB or 256GB of storage, plus support for a microSD card - Pretty good. The 256GB model comes with a 100 dollar price premium, which isn't too bad if you ask me. But I would probably prefer using a cheap microSD card for mass storage anyway.

7300mAh battery - Seems about right for a tablet of that size. Not much else to say.

249.3x164.3x7.1mm (482 grams) - So it a bit on the thick and heavy side.

USB type-C, 3.5mm headphone jack and included stylus - It lacks a fingerprint sensor but otherwise it seems logical and fine.

650 dollars and will be available on August 10th.

Other features include:

POGO contacts for a keyboard (sold separately for 150 dollars).

Support for DeX (Windows-like desktop environment where apps runs in windows).

Stereo audio.

Rear and front cameras (13MP and 8MP respectively) but with flashes (front facing flash?).

Iris scanner (probably the same as the Galaxy S9).

Support for Samsung KNOX.

Personally, depending on how much this will cost when it comes to Sweden I will get one, or the Huawei MediaPad M5.

I got a Sony Z4 Tablet that I use everyday, but it's starting to show its age.

Sources: Anandtech and GSMArena.

If it's only a 10" model this time then probably RGB as previous models have been. I believe the 8" models were always pentile.

The 835 is a strong signal that they're not fully committed. They probably got a good price on them though. 

Actually Huawei is using the Kirin 960 which is also their previous flagship chip. Again, probably a cost saving measure and they probably had some leftovers.

It isn't listed but judging from the pictures there's pen support which is pretty cool for some people and would go well with the display. 

Given the cost and the last year SoC, i would still lean toward an iPad.

If it came with ChromeOS it'd be more interesting imo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Better to go with Surface really, the upgraded Go model rather. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I don't get this garbage... Other than the pen support and rear camera this tablet is almost strictly worse than the Pixel C which is a 3 year old tablet. Why is the Android tablet market so stagnent? They talk about how poorly Android tablet sales do and then they release tablets that are super cut down versions of year and a half old phones?

I really hope that Google has a new Chrometab coming with their septermber announcement to actually bring some innovation and change to the market.

going to purchase an Ipad with the pencil soon. I can not see this as competition because it is way more expensive. 

i've always wondered why no one uses the black bars for scrolling purposes or something like that.

i mean there are lots of use fullthings you can do with it.

but that's probably just me wondering about stupid things xD 

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

going to purchase an Ipad with the pencil soon. I can not see this as competition because it is way more expensive. 

no surface go?

unless you have an iphone or mac /macbook then i can relate.

58 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

If it's only a 10" model this time then probably RGB as previous models have been. I believe the 8" models were always pentile.

The 835 is a strong signal that they're not fully committed. They probably got a good price on them though. 

Actually Huawei is using the Kirin 960 which is also their previous flagship chip. Again, probably a cost saving measure and they probably had some leftovers.

It isn't listed but judging from the pictures there's pen support which is pretty cool for some people and would go well with the display. 

835 is still pretty good. Rocking it hard in V30, quite heavily so, in basically same res. It is still confusing that they're not going all out on iPad with 845. I'm expecting a refresh at some point on Kirin 970.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

35 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The only iPad that would compete with this is the iPad Pro 10.5" which is around the same price,add $100 for the pencil. Although i'd rather have the Surface Go or the Huawei mediapad M5 Pro.

Ehh tablets .. really?

Like if they run full-fat Windows 10 sure whatever rock on.

But Android, no I have a phone in my pocket that allows me to do all that S4 can do.

My Galaxy Tab A is lying in a drawer collection dust okay not literally since .. it is in a drawer but still it remains unused

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Better to go with Surface really, the upgraded Go model rather. 

Strongly disagree. As someone who has used a Surface for years, I wouldn't touch a Surface or any Windows tablet with a ten foot pole if I could get away without the more open nature of x86 (which is pretty easy these days for most people given the nature of what tablets are usually used for and that Android/iOS have massive app stores). Windows is just such a horrible touch UI.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

52 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

no surface go?

I wasn´t aware of this product.  It is an alternative. Thanks mate!

The main purpose why I want to buy an Ipad is taking notes in class and maybe watching a few videos.

I just checked:
Ipad with pencil 400 €
Surface Go with pencil 530 €

I dislike Apple and own none of their products. However, the Ipad is stiller better. I have to think about it

16 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I wasn´t aware of this product.  It is an alternative. Thanks mate!

The main purpose why I want to buy an Ipad is taking notes in class and maybe watching a few videos.

I just checked:
Ipad with pencil 400 €
Surface Go with pencil 530 €

I dislike Apple and own none of their products. However, the Ipad is stiller better. I have to think about it

Windows Central ( youtube) has a comparison review with the peripherals. maybe you can check it out?

Found it

Edited by FastRDust
wrong name of the youtube channel

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Why is the Android tablet market so stagnent?

Because the only tablets worth giving a fuck about, OS wise, are running iOS or Windows. Android tablets just suck all around.

57 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It is still confusing that they're not going all out on iPad with 845.

Samsung knows that they can't compete with the iPad without sinking excessive amounts of money that they can't make back in the tablet market.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

37 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Strongly disagree. As someone who has used a Surface for years, I wouldn't touch a Surface or any Windows tablet with a ten foot pole if I could get away without the more open nature of x86 (which is pretty easy these days for most people given the nature of what tablets are usually used for and that Android/iOS have massive app stores). Windows is just such a horrible touch UI.

If i may interject, The windows used on older models of the surface can be Windows RT this is indeed the worst variant of windows which limits you to apps from the store, However, the new version of the Windows ( limited ) is Windows S.

which also limits you to the store BUT can be upgraded to a full windows version.

I totally agree with your point of view but just a bit of extra information.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Samsung knows that they can't compete with the iPad without sinking excessive amounts of money that they can't make back in the tablet market.

Actually seing how tablet market is dying in general I can see why. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Actually seing how tablet market is dying in general I can see why. 

smaller 13,3 " laptops are taking over that space although for art purposes i still think this doe have it's merrits on the go.

Quite honestly, this tablet flew under the radar for me, with good reason.

Android tablets suck. That's just the hard truth.

There are use cases for them, but the tablet-optimized app library is too slim. Google actually did find success with the Nexus 7 but then phones got bigger, and people didn't want small tablets.

The only tablet I'd consider buying is an iPad. I dislike the Touch UI on Windows.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Quite honestly, this tablet flew under the radar for me, with good reason.

Android tablets suck. That's just the hard truth.

There are use cases for them, but the tablet-optimized app library is too slim. Google actually did find success with the Nexus 7 but then phones got bigger, and people didn't want small tablets.

The only tablet I'd consider buying is an iPad. I dislike the Touch UI on Windows.

I'll get to find this out soon enough, i'm waiting on my spectre x360 :P

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

So like around same price you'd rather have Android tablet than Windows machine with x86 hm? Like I wouldn't care about it's touch aspect though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So like around same price you'd rather have Android tablet than Windows machine with x86 hm? Like I wouldn't care about it's touch aspect though.

Considering the low performance of the surface go, the horrible ui design if used as a tablet and the fact that non eMMC variant is only the highest end 128gb option, I'd say both this S4 and the iPad will offer an overall better experience in the grand scheme of things.

coming from someone who'd rather have a browser with:

pinned YouTube tab

pinned plex tab

pinned Spotify tab

pinned... Whatever tab

than an app that tries to replace all of the above (hence why I believe would be more suited than android on tablets)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Personally, depending on how much this will cost when it comes to Sweden I will get one, or the Huawei MediaPad M5.

I got a Sony Z4 Tablet that I use everyday, but it's starting to show its age.

I'm curious to know why you aren't interested in the iPad. I feel like it's alot better with 120Hz screen, better apps, better long term support, etc assuming that you don't have any other Apple devices for it to easily slot in

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Considering the low performance of the surface go, the horrible ui design if used as a tablet and the fact that non eMMC variant is only the highest end 128gb option, I'd say both this S4 and the iPad will offer an overall better experience in the grand scheme of things.

coming from someone who'd rather have a browser with:

pinned YouTube tab

pinned plex tab

pinned Spotify tab

pinned... Whatever tab

than an app that tries to replace all of the above (hence why I believe would be more suited than android on tablets)

I mean performance is nothing special of any of them though. At least for price it's x86 though and can run certain programs. I wouldn't really use it as a tablet except when I'd watch something I guess like YT other of those I don't use.