Samsung Announces The Galaxy Tab S4 - iPad and Surface Competitor

Stay tuned as Linus plays fortnite on the new S4 Tab from Samsung...  Special guest appearance by Switch Girl!!!

Tablets are an interesting niche market that I just don't see the appeal of them...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Stay tuned as Linus plays fortnite on the new S4 Tab from Samsung...  Special guest appearance by Switch Girl!!!

Tablets are an interesting niche market that I just don't see the appeal of them...

Well if they're cheap wifi connected displays you can use them to create a smart home with lighting and temperature per room :P

Just mount them onto a wall near the door

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

They have a place, but the problem is that Android tablet offers little over a smartphone. Now as smartphone are big, people are fine just using that instead of spending a lot for the same device but bigger. Apple quickly understood this, and added to the OS new features unique to the the iPad, from side by side apps, to a really good/excellent pen option that can be used with it.

I don't think this Samsung device will sale well. I expect die heart Android fans that have a very old Android tablet might get it, but that that is about it, sadly. Apple has the main take, and Microsoft has whatever is left for those who seek a device that puts productivity first, over entertainment. Android needs to bring things unique to tablets. Personally, I see ChromeOS on tablet to be more of a success, as you mix Google ecosystem of Android, with productivity to some level, and a touch experience that could compliments this, like iOS does for its iPads.

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I'm curious to know why you aren't interested in the iPad. I feel like it's alot better with 120Hz screen, better apps, better long term support, etc assuming that you don't have any other Apple devices for it to easily slot in

If the iPad had a 16:10 display and on-screen buttons I would buy it in a heartbeat. However, the 4:3 aspect ratio is horrible for pretty much everything I use it for. I would end up having like 20% of the screen wasted, just adding unnecessary bulk. 

As for the onscreen buttons, I don't like tablets with hardware buttons since I use mine for both landscape and portrait use, and constantly having the buttons move around drives me nuts. 

Older Snapdragon processor and Android apps. This thing is fail before it even launched. Even if the iPad Pro ditches the headphone jack, it still has more productive apps and the Surface line is Windows.

Edit: If Android ever gets Clip Studio and not have it be a subscription, then I can see it being a consideration. Till then, it offers nothing over my V30.

People keep complaining about speed but my S8+ with Dex is probably more snappy than Android, actually quite impressive. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Android tablets are gone. It is nice to see Samsung given it another go, but sales of Android tablets have been extremely low.

It is for a reason why Google dropped the OS for non-phones in favors of ChromeOS for laptops, and with its highly influenced Windows 7/10 interface, it is clear that they aim for tablets running that OS when they feel the touch experience is ready.

Which begs the question... are former Android tablet manufacturers going to try to muck about making transformables like the Surface Book or ASUS Transformer, except now with ChromeOS? So keep making tablets, except moving on from Android to ChomeOS. I haven't seen many as of yet.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which begs the question... are former Android tablet manufacturers going to try to muck about making transformables like the Surface Book or ASUS Transformer, except now with ChromeOS? So keep making tablets, except moving on from Android to ChomeOS. I haven't seen many as of yet.

What they should do is target artists, not the odd ball Facebook user without a computer or smartphone. The only true alternative to Wacom's expensive Cintiq line that offers on screen drawing with tilt etc is Apple with their iPad Pro and now 6th gen tablet. Android tablets as is offer nothing.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

What they should do is target artists, not the odd ball Facebook user without a computer or smartphone. The only true alternative to Wacom's expensive Cintiq line that offers on screen drawing with tilt etc is Apple with their iPad Pro and now 6th gen tablet. Android tablets as is offer nothing.

As far as I can tell, the ones with pens are trying to target the University student that likes to digitize their notes.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Android tablets are gone. It is nice to see Samsung given it another go, but sales of Android tablets have been extremely low.

It is for a reason why Google dropped the OS for non-phones in favors of ChromeOS for laptops, and with its highly influenced Windows 7/10 interface, it is clear that they aim for tablets running that OS when they feel the touch experience is ready.

They already have that. 2 actually.

Acer Chromebook Tab 10. Has a pen, is basically as powerful as this tab, slightly worse display (IPS) but also cheaper...

HP Chromebook X2 is a detachable with a pretty nice keyboard, a pen, and a Core M3-7y30. Again IPS screen, but not a particularly bad one and is still cheaper than this tablet...

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

~snip~

Race to the bottom only makes sense if it's cheaper than other better alternatives though. Both of those Chrometabs above support Android and a full desktop windowed experience just like "Dex" and because they're running containerized Android don't need to worry about the limited support life of a traditional Android device...

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It seems more like the traditional Chromebook/Windows laptop manufacturers are filling this space more. See the devices above from Acer and HP.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which begs the question... are former Android tablet manufacturers going to try to muck about making transformables like the Surface Book or ASUS Transformer, except now with ChromeOS?

God I hope not. That'd be a waste of resources like NAND.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

The only true alternative to Wacom's expensive Cintiq line that offers on screen drawing with tilt etc is Apple with their iPad Pro and now 6th gen tablet

Most artists don't give a rat's ass abput tilt support and other gimmicks of the same caliber.

And the Surface Pro/Book/Studio are all better Wacom alternatives than the iPad Pro.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Most artists don't give a rat's ass abput tilt support and other gimmicks of the same caliber.

And the Surface Pro/Book/Studio are all better Wacom alternatives than the iPad Pro.

Until Apple fuses the iPad Pro with their current thin MacBook or something to create an iPad running macOS, I can't stand behind that product as anything more than again, a Facebook machine.  

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Until Apple fuses the iPad Pro with their current thin MacBook or something to create an iPad running macOS, I can't stand behind that product as anything more than again, a Facebook machine.  

a dockable iPad Pro. Not a bad idea.

Although I believe there was support for ARM found in a recent macOS update, so it's possible. But Program support will likely be a bit of a challenge

Perhaps while it's undocked, it runs iOS and when its docked it runs macOS

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Doesn't the Surface use a digitizer from N-Trig? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yes. What's your point?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

going to purchase an Ipad with the pencil soon. I can not see this as competition because it is way more expensive. 

Why is Apple the budget choice here lol. 

11 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Microsoft uses N-Trig best technology in the Surface line (they also bought the company).

Microsoft used to use Wacom in the Surface Pro 1 and 2, however Wacom was not making its best technology to third parties. Only them get to use it in their devices. In addition, Wacom pen on mobile platform embedded in screen doesn't have fine tracking needed for note taking, not even Wacom own tablet PC does as a good job as N-Trig. Wacom always focused on drawing, while N-Trig always focused on note taking. That said, N-Trig for a number of recent years now focuses on drawing as well (basically since Microsoft bought them), while keeping and improving note taking. I don't know about Wacom, I don't think they are interested.

Apple opted to make its own pen technology. Probably because they could not get Wacom best tech either, and of course, doesn't want to get N-Trig which is owned by Microsoft, and opted with their own in house solution.

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yes. What's your point?

Because I remembered they used to be Wacom. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Wacom always focused on drawing, while N-Trig always focused on note taking

That statement is basically meaningless. Either your tech tracks well and the pressure sensors are accurate, or they're not. End of story for the hardware, the rest is on software.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Because I remembered they used to be Wacom. 

The Pro 1 and 2 were. Those were garbage compaired to the 3, 4, and 5, using N-Trig, in terms of near edge tracking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That statement is basically meaningless. Either your tech tracks well and the pressure sensors are accurate, or they're not. End of story for the hardware, the rest is on software.

Ok, I am fine with the statement that Wacom pen tracking on embedded mobile devices outside of Wacom own devices is not accurate, or features drivers that doesn't take fully advantage of the technology.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok, I am fine with the statement that Wacom pen tracking on embedded mobile devices outside of Wacom own devices is not accurate, or features drivers that doesn't take fully advantage of the technology.

Eh it depends on the device. A lot of Wacom's newer partner devices with active tracking are really good. Don't all the active pen tracked HPs use Wacom's active tech? And the Pixelbook pen is great and is using their active tech. The passive tech isn't as good on devices with screens because the electronics of the screen itself create interference. Even Wacom's tablet-PC devices have issues with their passive tech which is why most companies looking for high precision devices use their active tech.