"Fake News" Being published about subscription Windows 10

TOSaunders

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/360938/no-microsoft-isnt-turning-windows-10-into-a-paid-subscription-service/

I saw the article earlier today on a couple of my newsfeed that basically said there was a chance Microsoft would turn Windows 10 into a paid subscription model with offsite desktops. This was proven false but here's some of the articles covering it. 

Please edit your post to match Tech News guidelines.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, TOSaunders said:

Microsoft would turn Windows 10 into a paid subscription model with offsite desktops.

Technically, that's true. Just not all Win 10 versions are being turned into this.

I believe that there are Win 10 subscription service SKUs already.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Seeing that you can't use word, excel, etc when your subscription is expired then they already started that model

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Technically, that's true. Just not all Win 10 versions are being turned into this.

I believe that there are Win 10 subscription service SKUs already.

MS knows that they couldn't get away with having all SKU being subscription based.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

41 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Seeing that you can't use word, excel, etc when your subscription is expired then they already started that model

They offer Office 365 in conjunction with Office 2013/16/19.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

43 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

MS knows that they couldn't get away with having all SKU being subscription based.

Yet, give it 5 years and things will have changed.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, in 5 years Linux will be a viable alternative for nearly everyone including gamers. 

If windows is the same price or cheaper as a subscription than buying outright I don't care, if it turns out more expensive then I have issues.

For now they can't remove thee option to buy as a standalone product though, because it is a necessary component of the PC most governments will argue they have a monopoly and cannot take current options away.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They've been saying that the past five years.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Yep, in 5 years Linux will be a viable alternative for nearly everyone including gamers. 

They've been saying that the past 10.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

In 5 years you can tell me I was naive.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

In 5 years you can tell me I was naive.

I can tell you that now.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I can tell you that now.

You already did, but you can't prove it for another 5 years.

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You already did, but you can't prove it for another 5 years.

I would dare to say he wouldnt be able to do it right now... :D

So if Windows did go to a subscription model ...

Then how would someone do the same upgrade path my parents did, and for about the same average cost per month*?

They went straight from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 10 1709 - skipping Vista, 7 and 8.

*They got their OSs as part of a system - laptops in their case.  (WinXP laptop bought August 2008, Win10 laptop bought March 2018.)  For comparing, though, assume someone buys the individual license.

Or are my parents & I the only ones who seem to prefer skipping several generations?

7 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

So if Windows did go to a subscription model ...

Then how would someone do the same upgrade path my parents did, and for about the same average cost per month*?

They went straight from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 10 1709 - skipping Vista, 7 and 8.

*They got their OSs as part of a system - laptops in their case.  (WinXP laptop bought August 2008, Win10 laptop bought March 2018.)  For comparing, though, assume someone buys the individual license.

Or are my parents & I the only ones who seem to prefer skipping several generations?

I skipped vista, 8 and 8.1.  But that's because I am average on the upgrade cycle (about 5 years).  For those who don't need to upgrade that often and can still use older hardware and an older OS,  a sub based service will almost definitely cost more.  Can't say if it will cost more for average cycles though.

I get 5 years out of an OEM key with every build. That at about A$120.   which works out to $2 a month.  I can't really see MS charging $2 a month for a home user. 

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I can't really see MS charging $2 a month for a home user. 

They do charge 70$/month for office365 so its possibe its gonna be more. And just to make sure you pay all of your HDD's will be encrypted with bitlocker.... (And im not joking with this, seeing how they used underhanded tactics before, it is possible they gonna pull off this stunt. They just gonna market it as a security feature and the gonna get away with it.)

Unless they charge near $30/yr, I'm not buying into the subscription model. I'll pay $100 for the full key that's usable today, tomorrow, and ten years from now. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

There were talks about this from release. They know it wouldn't go well in general, so certain model can exist I guess.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

There's a very big change happening right now...

Over the last 5 to 10 years subscription services for media consumption have taken over, Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify & YouTube Premium are all raking in the cash.

Both Amazon Music & iTunes now offer subscription services when traditionally they were buy & consume services.

Adobe have adopted a fully subscription based model ever since the first Creative Suite release.

Almost every major AAA video game studio have shown interest, or have already started to create Video Game streaming services. Microsoft, Sony & EA have offered subscription game passes for a while.

Both Microsoft & Sony have expressed interest in creating streaming only consoles where the only option is to stream games off the cloud.

In another 5 (maybe 10 tops) years the market will be so used to paying subscriptions for basically everything that paying a subscription every month for Windows will be totally normal.

It will start with the business and enterprise SKUs, MS are already creating that service right now and will slow but surely creep into the home SKUs.

Subscription based streaming of software makes total sense from a developer point of view. It kills piracy dead, kills modding dead and generates them a reliable and steady income stream every single month.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

AS LONG AS its reliable and they stop their telemetry bullshit 

This just made my day:D I needed that, thank you!

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

kills modding dead

Which can kill games entirely, for example: minecraft, skyrim, etc....

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

There's a very big change happening right now...

Over the last 5 to 10 years subscription services for media consumption have taken over, Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify & YouTube Premium are all raking in the cash.

Both Amazon Music & iTunes now offer subscription services when traditionally they were buy & consume services.

Adobe have adopted a fully subscription based model ever since the first Creative Suite release.

Almost every major AAA video game studio have shown interest, or have already started to create Video Game streaming services. Microsoft, Sony & EA have offered subscription game passes for a while.

Both Microsoft & Sony have expressed interest in creating streaming only consoles where the only option is to stream games off the cloud.

In another 5 (maybe 10 tops) years the market will be so used to paying subscriptions for basically everything that paying a subscription every month for Windows will be totally normal.

It will start with the business and enterprise SKUs, MS are already creating that service right now and will slow but surely creep into the home SKUs.

Subscription based streaming of software makes total sense from a developer point of view. It kills piracy dead, kills modding dead and generates them a reliable and steady income stream every single month.

It wouldnt work for competitive games. The added latency would be an issue. 

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

It kills piracy dead, kills modding dead and generates them a reliable and steady income stream every single month.

I agreed up until the piracy part.  Nothing kills piracy (minus availability of the product that is).  If anything I see several cracks and exploits to get Adobe CC installed freely from what I know most individuals who use CC on their own personal workstations do this. 

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I agreed up until the piracy part.  Nothing kills piracy (minus availability of the product that is).  If anything I see several cracks and exploits to get Adobe CC installed freely from what I know most individuals who use CC on their own personal workstations do this. 

CC isn't streaming though, the user still has the software installed. Could you ever crack Office 365?

I do get your point though, it's going to be hard to stream all software and for most stuff piracy will still remain but I guarantee you by 2030 video game piracy will be all but dead, once everyone adopts streaming games as the norm.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It wouldnt work for competitive games. The added latency would be an issue. 

You really think the EAs, Ubisofts, Microsofts & Sonys of the world care about competitive gaming? Trust me if it comes down to more money & killing piracy Vs competition there really is no competition.

Nah, not really into subscription based operating systems 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1