Apple is addressing the 2018 Macbook Pro Throttling problem

Hunter259
46 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple doesn't address the issue -  people are angry

Apple addresses the issue and fixes it - people are angry

????

I don't see anyone angry they fixed it. Projecting?

Some people think the only way to manage heating of a CPU is to put more cooling on it. The other way, is to feed it less power. The less power bit might change performance, but it depends as these things now have more than one core, and more than one type of boost method (boosting causes more power+heat, but can then draw back, the cooling can take some heat, the fans can ramp up, etc).

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

image.png.b2a986587f36f4e7490b2cf96b456fe2.png

hqdefault.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

53 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple doesn't address the issue -  people are angry

Apple addresses the issue and fixes it - people are angry

????

Nobody is angry that it performs better now, we're just baffled at the fact that Apple clearly ran NO tests on this thing before releasing it.

Also I'd hardly call this a "fix"... it's not as bad but it still severely underperforms given the cpu it comes with.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nobody is angry that it performs better now, we're just baffled at the fact that Apple clearly ran NO tests on this thing before releasing it.

It's just as well they try and shift the blame and minimize the issue to a 'minor bug' when it's a crucial design flaw. At least they acknowledge it but they're not being 100% honest about what the issue is.

Apple really messed up this time lol. I don't think Macbooks are the worst thing ever, just overpriced, but this is just bad.

New benchmarks 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

It's nice that they've actually responded positively and in a quick manner by Apple's usual standards. But in all seriousness, how was this issue never caught during testing? It still boggles my mind how today's tech giants are consistently releasing products with so many easy to encounter bugs and sometimes, product breaking faults. I guess they're adopting the film makers' approach. 

Image result for don't worry, we'll fix it in post

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

New benchmarks 

Great video, still not able to maintain base clocks under longer sustained CPU loads but much better short term performance now. Still don't think it's worth it at all to get the i9 model when a lot of the software you can choose from video editing wise can use the GPU which makes it level across the CPU models and the CPU only stuff gets too hot still.

i7 seems to be the sweet spot for the high end 2018 config if you need a lot of CPU otherwise I'd just save some money and go for the i5 and rely on GPU.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Also I'd hardly call this a "fix"... it's not as bad but it still severely underperforms given the cpu it comes with.

The only other option is a recall to add depth to the chassis but its Apple's classic design and they won't do that. Cost way too much. They know now they need to redesign the laptop to accomodate the i9, this is about all they can do thats viable to fix. 

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because of the way they shrug things off or make bs claims like "it's a feature!" that pisses people off when they address things.

Theres a lot of misinformation both ways. My thinking is to give them a chance because, the fact is I've had a Mac for a while and It's never let me down and its generally been pretty good. Apple is under scrutiny a lot - and when people make a video it gets headlines quickly.

I am getting less and less fond of Apple however. I think I've said before the magic is lost. There is no perfection achieved in their devices and they have no soul now. Apple is not the trend setter it was. 

34 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's really only the overly vocal Apple fans who don't like him.

Oh really? Maybe I don't like him because he comes across as a know it all dickhead?

Specifically in one video where he essentially tells a college kid (Tailosive Tech) to shut the fuck up at the end of the video despite being a full grown adult. He's a tool and I would much rather watch any other tech youtuber over him.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because of the way they shrug things off or make bs claims like "it's a feature!" that pisses people off when they address things.

Where did they call it a feature? When? 

I only ever see this sentiment from people looking to bash Apple more than anything. 

10 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The only other option is a recall to add depth to the chassis but its Apple's classic design and they won't do that. Cost way too much. They know now they need to redesign the laptop to accomodate the i9, this is about all they can do thats viable to fix. 

which they wouldn't need to do if they actually tested it and made the required adjustments before releasing it, and if they did test it and knew about it, that's even worse.

I cannot imagine that apple, being the company that it is does not do rigorous QC on every product they release. meaning multiple units running a variety of workloads...that's just common sense

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

They've had enough chances, and fucked people over too much.  Why do they still get a "chance"?  If it was a one-time thing maybe two times thing the many wouldn't have an issue, but this is far past a 3 strike policy.   And, not it's not misinformation from both sides Apple fucked up, let this get past testing if they even did any proper testing, and only addressed it for PR reasons.  I'm loving how people are blaming Intel, though for this because they can't handle the fact that Apple is clearly the one who fucked up here.  Now, I'm not saying Intel doesn't deserve crap for shitty things like pulling previous AMD logics or shit price to performance ratios for i9s compared to TR get this, if I want 11 percent better performance I need to pay 1100 dollars more than for what I can get for a 1950x.  Seriously, fuck Intel for that logic.  I get that people have this cult-like mentality for Apple, but nope fuck them for all the bs they've been pulling.

I still give them a chance because I see no other competition. MacOS is still the best OS for me out there and backs up all my notes automatically etc - it's the best for my work. The MacBook has a great design with plenty of battery life and hasn't let me down, I can't say that for any of the PCs I've owned. It's preference still. 

At the end of the day people will vote with their wallets.

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

which they wouldn't need to do if they actually tested it and made the required adjustments before releasing it, and if they did test it and knew about it, that's even worse.

I cannot imagine that apple, being the company that it is does not do rigorous QC on every product they release. meaning multiple units running a variety of workloads...that's just common sense

Apple has not had good quality control for some time and it really shows. I'm still very disappointed with their new (not new anymore) aluminium chassis which scratches really easily. 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

My point about the overly vocal Apple fans right here.

I wasn't referring to this it was something with an iPhone iirc.

Ok so I can't even criticise a shitty tech YouTuber because then I'll get branded as an overly vocal Apple fan? Nice no win situation you created for yourself there. 

And if you're referring to the iPhone 4 thing that happened eight years ago then I have no words. Every other time (Touch disease, bending, whatever -gate there was) Apple never called it a feature. Yeah they waited a stupid amount of time before issuing a replacement program for those issues and they fucked up plenty but to keep repeating an instance their late cofounder said 8 years back? That's just ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple has not had good quality control for some time and it really shows. I'm still very disappointed with their new (not new anymore) aluminium chassis which scratches really easily. 

Which is sad. That's what i used to like about them. Their "It just works" mantra is starting to become less and less relevant.

They do make some of the best looking products on the market, i will give them that, but they need to get it together.

I don't like bringing it up, but things were so much better under Jobs

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

You can do it nicely instead of with anger and hypocrisy.  You just seem like needed a Snickers.  See, that's another fault right there taking forever to issue a replacement, and I'm pretty sure it was actually a security issue with the iPhone 6, not the 4. 

I do have too much uni pressure right now, I guess an apology is in order.

Sorry :P 

Look, I am definitely an Apple fan so I guess I need to be a bit more objective  and say Apple has been dropping the ball both with the keyboards and the CPUs this gen so this is all warranted and I would like to see tighter quality testing for the future products. 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Which is sad. That's what i used to like about them. Their "It just works" mantra is starting to become less and less relevant.

They do make some of the best looking products on the market, i will give them that, but they need to get it together.

I don't like bringing it up, but things were so much better under Jobs

Tim Cook cares about business. You can see from the iPhone 6 and up, it focused more on the market rather than the consumer. The iPhone 4 was a great phone - and a market leader. The retina display was not designed on ppi, but on how much the eye can see. To the consumer it seems like thats about as advanced as you can get for a display. It had a great A4 processor, very fast for it's day (Similar to the one used in the Galaxy S) and iOS was definitely much better. Things popped out rather than looked flat. 

iOS7 was a great disappointment, I've never liked the design since and it seemed like nothing new has ever been added, just built upon.  When you look at the iPhone 6 you see a much more android-like design. Much like the Galaxy S - series. Sure it's fast, sure it's nice to look at, but it's just not Apple. Theres no amazement when I unlock the phone anymore, theres no cool updates that bring new functionality. It's a fact you can take an iPhone 4, even 3GS and create all the same features you can use today thanks to Jailbreaking. The innovation has already been done, it's all about selling it. 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean I only hold a bias for a few game companies like id[zenimax needs to calm down though towards Carmack], anything Itagaki touches, and SNK/Playmore so I do understand.  Not saying you have one, but I do for those ones.  xD For a while my pref mobo company was Gigabyte, but after the bs they started pulling with VRMs on a few platforms I started staying away from them.  I think the only time I've bought an Apple product personally was when an iPod gen 4 was cheaper than most 8gb mp3 player last year, but I didn't really like the interface personally, so I got one of the few non-problematic Sandisk ones instead which ended up costing me more money for personal preference.  If I were just doing video and editing and music editing for the pro work I do I'd probably get a used 2012 MBP for like 400 off ebay, but then again I do more than that on the go hence why I'm going to be dragging around a clevo with me from either prostar or eluktronics.  8750h plus a 1060 or maybe something else next summer depending on prices.  Right now I'm tad busy upping my workstation with an Asrock Taichi, 32 gigs of DDR4 Ripjaws 3200 mhz, an ekwb waterblock for TR, 5TBs of storage, and a 1950x.  It's for game deving and using crap like Maya.

Oh nice! 

See as I mentioned I am in uni doing computer science right now. With a combination of my course books I carry around, my gym bag along with my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro 10.5" for on campus. 

The reason why I love MacBook Pros (I have the late 2013 13" with 256GB storage and 8GB RAM) is because I wanted a thin and light laptop that was still a good performer (this was back in high school) with a great battery life. This laptop has more than delivered as it is has gone around with me all day every day to high school and even now in uni, it has 700+ cycles on the battery, has survived drops with no damages beyond some light scratching plus I always found macOS a more productive OS for myself (I love the Finder having Tabs for example, how easily the Apple Watch unlocks it, Bootcamp allows me to use both macOS and Windows on the same machine etc) and I just don't see many other laptops with the exact same combo that Apple has besides the XPS 13 but then I give up macOS for it. 

My gaming PC at home has an RX 480 4GB, 500GB Samsung SSD, i5 6500 and 16GB RAM although I want Ryzen and Vega next (AMD fanboy too:P)

48 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

the fact is I've had a Mac for a while and It's never let me down and its generally been pretty good

Understandable, I agree that their products are good but as a company and their business decisions they come across as stubborn and self-centered. They rarely design products around what customers want or ask for instance. Which is a shame because I think their products get a lot of hate more so because of how Apple behave as a company over the products themselves.