York to become Britain's first city with full access to 1gbps fibre.

Ravnak

The advertising for this (which is produced by some sort of coalition between the isp and the city council) dropped through my door today and I thought it might be of interest. They're making a huge effort to advertise it in the city and have rented a storefront  just to promote it, along with running a load of banner adds etc.

I've photographed the entire "newspaper" which is being put through the door of every house in the city. It's mostly advertisement after the article and first page or so of info, but I figured I'd photograph the entire thing for completion. Link to imgur for the photos below.

https://imgur.com/a/hWsHWvw

20180717_194531.jpg

York's a nice place.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

A bunch of places near me got this years ago. The telephone incumbent (Telus) has been installing fibre everywhere, and they are currently testing with 150/150, and they plan to offer 1000/1000 soon. Local cable company (Shaw) has been upgrading their backbone to support DOCSIS 3.1, to support 1000/1000.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 minutes ago, yian88 said:

lmao, 10 years late and its just the first? and whats the price 200 pounds? 

Loads of places in the UK are well behind on the speed of fibre.

From what I have heard (actual prices aren't given) the companies have agreed to discount the contract as part of a deal with the council. It was meant to be of a comparable price to current internet packages that "the public" would use.

That would put it in the ballpark of £30 per month if it's an accurate statement. This is 100% pure conjecture though. I am not a credible source!

18 minutes ago, yian88 said:

hats the price 200 pounds? 

Thats not bad for a gig. Anything less than that and I can guarantee gigs speeds are going to be few and far between.

geee, where I live 1 Gbps fiber is like 20 € and was available like 2 years ago. I sometimes forget how shitty internet is in other countries

2 minutes ago, ignaloidas said:

geee, where I live 1 Gbps fiber is like 20 € and was available like 2 years ago. I sometimes forget how shitty internet is in other countries

country?

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

country?

Lithuania. Have 3 major telcos and all have about equal share so theres major competition in technology and prices

11 minutes ago, ignaloidas said:

This makes me cry. At one point I was living in an apartment where the max speed was 20 mbs. 2 megabytes per second is just bad and sucks when downloading. And yes I know 20/8 doesn't equal 2 but it is what downloads end up going to anyways. 

10 hours ago, Ravnak said:

I've photographed the entire "newspaper" which is being put through the door of every house in the city. It's mostly advertisement after the article and first page or so of info, but I figured I'd photograph the entire thing for completion. Link to imgur for the photos below.

image.thumb.png.1f1b8b78bd39d1defad964f292dcb949.png

1000mbps = 7 seconds
10mbps = over 25 minutes (over 1,500 seconds)

1000mbps = 3 seconds
10mbps = over 8 minutes (over 480 seconds)

Is it just me or is the maths a bit off on that?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

image.thumb.png.1f1b8b78bd39d1defad964f292dcb949.png

Is it just me or is the maths a bit off on that?

100 songs @ 3Mb that's 3000 Mb and 10 mbps is around 1 Mb so

3000 ÷ 10 = 300 s ÷ 60 =  5 mins.

3000 ÷ 1000 = 3s

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

17 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

3000 ÷ 10 = 300 s ÷ 60 =  5 mins.

3000 ÷ 1000 = 3s

They list the 10mbps option as taking "over 8 minutes", when it really should be closer to 5 minutes.

1000mbps to 10mbps is 100x faster. So if it takes 3 seconds on 1000mbps, it should take 300s (5min) on 10mbps. But they're claiming it is "over 8 minutes".
Same with the movie option. They're claiming it is 7 seconds to download on 1000mbps, so it should be 700s (11min 40s) on 10mbps, but they're claiming it would take over 25 minutes. That '2 hour HD movie' would be a maximum of 875MB in file size if it is downloaded in 7 seconds on 1gbps.

It seems like they've just pulled those numbers out of their ass.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

They list the 10mbps option as taking "over 8 minutes", when it really should be closer to 5 minutes.

1000mbps to 10mbps is 100x faster. So if it takes 3 seconds on 1000mbps, it should take 300s (5min) on 10mbps. But they're claiming it is "over 8 minutes".
Same with the movie option. They're claiming it is 7 seconds to download on 1000mbps, so it should be 700s (11min 40s) on 10mbps, but they're claiming it would take over 25 minutes. That '2 hour HD movie' would be a maximum of 875MB in file size if it is downloaded in 7 seconds on 1gbps.

It seems like they've just pulled those numbers out of their ass.

you must be new to marketing.

I'd like to get gigabit here. It's 150 Canadian rupees a month, which is honestly not bad, but the upload is limited to 20mbps. Are you kidding me? You are gonna sell me a gigabit connection that is 1000/20?

A friend of mine has it and he speed tests in high 800s or low 900s down speed at peak periods so you do get "close enough" to advertised, but man that upload. 

Is there some kind of CRTC rule or law somewhere that states all ISPs in Canada for personal usage have to have shit upload speeds? I'm currently on a 100mbs package and my upload is 10......to get 10x the download but only 2x the upload for twice the price....I dunno man.

And here's me sitting in an "old building" with basic shitty broadband in glasgow surrounded by business (the actual housing part predates most of the businesses here) but can't get access to ANY fibre because my address doesn't show on "their list" yet my postcode states on their website says i can get up to their 400meg package. Yet i'm pretty certain the 2 business below me show up...... and the ones around them and across the street ....

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 minutes ago, Noctus said:

And here's me sitting in an "old building" with basic shitty broadband in glasgow surrounded by business (the actual housing part predates most of the businesses here) but can't get access to ANY fibre because my address doesn't show on "their list" yet my postcode states on their website says i can get up to their 400meg package. Yet i'm pretty certain the 2 business below me show up...... and the ones around them and across the street ....

Was the opposite experience for me.

Years ago, Bell came around my apartment building saying we had access to their new Fibe 50 and 75 service and we could cut a sick deal if we signed up now. I signed up for the 50 for almost half the price I was paying 30/1 for from a leading competitor. They set a date to come and install it and then....for some reason the modem they supplied me with would not connect up to the service. They said it can take an hour or so for the service to sync up so just wait a bit, and the tech left. The next day came and I called them up and was like wtf, and a MUCH more knowledge tech came and said that the node ended up the street(I was at a dead end) and the dorms up the road from me got the service but we did not. They didn't even confirm this before sending over an army of salesmen to sell us a service that they could not provide. They are lucky they didn't get sued for the headache.

34 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

you must be new to marketing.

I'd like to get gigabit here. It's 150 Canadian rupees a month, which is honestly not bad, but the upload is limited to 20mbps. Are you kidding me? You are gonna sell me a gigabit connection that is 1000/20?

A friend of mine has it and he speed tests in high 800s or low 900s down speed at peak periods so you do get "close enough" to advertised, but man that upload. 

Is there some kind of CRTC rule or law somewhere that states all ISPs in Canada for personal usage have to have shit upload speeds? I'm currently on a 100mbs package and my upload is 10......to get 10x the download but only 2x the upload for twice the price....I dunno man.

Very few customers ever use or even get close to 20mbps upload. 

And no its not a law, its how GPON works, if you are on fiber. The standard allows a card to have a total throughput of 2.5/1.2gbps split between either 24 or 48 customers. Most the time when the uploads are limited like that its because there is a business on that PON that has say a 300mbps committed rate, maybe less or maybe more. Its a hardware limitation. But GPON2 is now being deployed. 

If you are cable or VDLS2, same applies but to the signaling.

Its a limitation, not just trying to screw customers over. On a side note its also very beneficial to lighten DDoS attacks even thought 20mbps is enough to cause some problems. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Very few customers ever use or even get close to 20mbps upload. 

And no its not a law, its how GPON works, if you are on fiber. The standard allows a card to have a total throughput of 2.5/1.2gbps split between either 24 or 48 customers. Most the time when the uploads are limited like that its because there is a business on that PON that has say a 300mbps committed rate, maybe less or maybe more. Its a hardware limitation. But GPON2 is now being deployed. 

If you are cable or VDLS2, same applies but to the signaling.

Its a limitation, not just trying to screw customers over. 

But I see American and European ISPs able to provide basically 1:1 rates for home users? Is it because they live way out in the 'burbs or something?

And I like having strong upload because I like to stream on twitch, but 720p/60 is not really possible at decent quality settings at only 10mbps. Probably with 20mbps but I mean I play at 1440p...if I want to broadcast at that resolution in decent quality, I guess I am SOL unless I fork out $400 for a business line.

22 hours ago, yian88 said:

lmao, 10 years late and its just the first?

It's a step in the right direction, hopefully more to come

1 minute ago, TigerHawk said:

But I see American and European ISPs able to provide basically 1:1 rates for home users? Is it because they live way out in the 'burbs or something?

And I like having strong upload because I like to stream on twitch, but 720p/60 is not really possible at decent quality settings at only 10mbps. Probably with 20mbps but I mean I play at 1440p...if I want to broadcast at that resolution in decent quality, I guess I am SOL unless I fork out $400 for a business line.

This is on a case by case senario. Equipment is not swapped all at once, could be your location has not upgraded on their side or it could have been and you have other customers paying for 100s of megs of committed upload. It has always been possible but it depends who and what is being provided. This isnt an american vs canadian thing, everyone in the world uses the same technology. 

Yeah youll need 20 for a 1080/60 stream. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This is on a case by case senario. Equipment is not swapped all at once, could be your location has not upgraded on their side or it could have been and you have other customers paying for 100s of megs of committed upload. It has always been possible but it depends who and what is being provided. This isnt an american vs canadian thing, everyone in the world uses the same technology. 

Yeah youll need 20 for a 1080/60 stream. 

Well here we still have capped downloads unless you shell out extra. There is like a 60mbps package that has a 50gb download cap. In 2018. Really? They serve no purpose outside of being a money grab. The limited upload thing feels the same, it frees up more bandwidth to sell to more customers.

8 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

Well here we still have capped downloads unless you shell out extra. There is like a 60mbps package that has a 50gb download cap. In 2018. Really? They serve no purpose outside of being a money grab. The limited upload thing feels the same, it frees up more bandwidth to sell to more customers.

Capped downloads are bullshit, we dont do it at work though, but there is a reasoning behind it. Same as before, if you have 48 customers sharing 2.5gbps of bandwidth and everyone begins saturating 60mbps (unlikely) thats 2.8gbps of traffic. The cards going to stuggle and people will get throttled because hardware limitations. But the problem is there are people with 100, 200, 300mbps on that equipment as well and if they all use it customers will start dropping speeds or even packet loss leading to dropped connection, dropped VOIP calls, etc...

Its a way to have people use less bandwidth without throttling, same with Cell carriers. You use less when you know you have a limit. Again its a hardware limitation creating this problem. 

Its has nothing to do with selling more bandwidth to more customers, its so you dont fuck over customers. 

Honestly people should have to spend 2 days in a NOC at an ISP to see what is behind the scenes if they want to use the internet for almost everything in life instead of just saying "*** the ISP". 

14 minutes ago, TigerHawk said:

Was the opposite experience for me.

Years ago, Bell came around my apartment building saying we had access to their new Fibe 50 and 75 service and we could cut a sick deal if we signed up now. I signed up for the 50 for almost half the price I was paying 30/1 for from a leading competitor. They set a date to come and install it and then....for some reason the modem they supplied me with would not connect up to the service. They said it can take an hour or so for the service to sync up so just wait a bit, and the tech left. The next day came and I called them up and was like wtf, and a MUCH more knowledge tech came and said that the node ended up the street(I was at a dead end) and the dorms up the road from me got the service but we did not. They didn't even confirm this before sending over an army of salesmen to sell us a service that they could not provide. They are lucky they didn't get sued for the headache.

I woulda sued em regardless. Failure to provide a promised, contracted service etc etc. I'm currently waiting on virgin getting back to me (day 4 out of "get back within 5 days") after filling out the form on where i live and why i can't get their service at this address (when my postcode says otherwise: 400meg for £40 anyone? yes please!)

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530