who ever said ubuntu is stable is stupid

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Guess you never played around in terminal much. Lol. 

Yes, I don't see how that changes its stance as an OS in terms of stability. 

If you shit on the Mac, you shit on Linux. 

You kidding me? Many MacOS users are people who aren't smart enough to figure out Windows.

If you think you are tech savvy for using macOS, can you tell me how to use the Windows powershell and registry? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Good operating system works great on MOST of machines, not on "many machines".

And hardware support IS what operating system is made for!

I've try that "operating system" few times, different versions, different computers. It never works as good as Windows, always was less stable, CPU temperatures was crazy sometimes in idle, lack of many settings (typing lot of stuff in terminal doesn't count). It's really not an operating system, it's nice toy for worshipers or for people who wants everythig for free and using computer mostly for browsing websites.

What do you think the computers that serve you this webpage is run on? Hint, it begins with li and ends with nux. 

It is not merely for web browsing. A lot of stuffs can be done on Linux that macOS and windows can't such as theming in desktop, using your perfer choice of kernel, and advance system settings, which are managed through config files. You don't click buttons like on Windows or macOS.

No, Linux supports most hardware's, even embedded systems like smart watches and smartphone. Android is Linux btw. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

39 minutes ago, wasab said:

What do you think the computers that serve you this webpage is run on? Hint, it begins with li and ends with nux. 

It is not merely for web browsing. A lot of stuffs can be done on Linux that macOS and windows can't such as theming in desktop, using your perfer choice of kernel, and advance system settings, which are managed through config files. You don't click buttons like on Windows or macOS.

No, Linux supports most hardware's, even embedded systems like smart watches and smartphone. Android is Linux btw. 

All of those reasons are precisely why Linux will never be a mainstream consumer competitor. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Why do these kinds of threads always give me a terminal illness just reading through them?

On topic: Ouch. What version of Ubuntu were you running? I had Lubuntu 17.04 and it recognized everything pretty well, save for some strange bug involving audio output.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

All of those reasons are precisely why Linux will never be a mainstream consumer competitor. 

Chromebook is Linux and that thing is mainstream so what are you talking about? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 minutes ago, wasab said:

Chromebook is Linux and that thing is mainstream so what are you talking about? 

xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I hope it never does. We've got enough "ready-out-of-the-box", dumbed down operating systems already. Leave something for the enthusiasts/tinkerers/programmers to play with and customize endlessly.

12 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

I hope it never does. We've got enough "ready-out-of-the-box", dumbed down operating systems already. Leave something for the enthusiasts/tinkerers/programmers to play with and customize endlessly.

But it already is in the mainstream consumer market. Chromebook can be found in your local best buy and the modern version chromeos runs Linux software's and Android apps natively out of the box.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

But it already is in the mainstream consumer market. Chromebook can be found in your local best buy and the modern version chromeos runs Linux software's and Android apps natively out of the box.

I don't have any experience with things like Chromebook so I can't really say but it seems to be a far cry from a fully fledged PC experience.

I run linux on all my systems but I'm the first to admit I don't want to be the one giving Joe Sixpack tech support.

windows malfunctioned, so my friend put ubuntu in my laptop

and forgot to install 90% of the drivers, what a cool friend

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

and forgot to install 90% of the drivers, what a cool friend

Also Windows breaks then moans that u Ubuntu is unstable, 99% of all operating systems are unstable.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, Unimportant said:

I don't have any experience with things like Chromebook so I can't really say but it seems to be a far cry from a fully fledged PC experience.

I run linux on all my systems but I'm the first to admit I don't want to be the one giving Joe Sixpack tech support.

You are missing the point of Linux. It was intended as a desktop operating system in addition to the niches like servers, super computers, and embedded devices. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Why do these kinds of threads always give me a terminal illness just reading through them?

Highly agree....

Seems folks love to derail these into a this thing vs this thing thread.  Ain't that suppose to be against the forum rules anyway?

To the OP, maybe try a different distro?  I usually had good luck with Mint Mate on laptops.  Just make sure to open up driver manager in the menu and have that run to find the firmware for your chipsets and graphics.  Or, Manjaro maybe a distro to try out as well.  Usually the best way to test a distro out on some hardware is to load an USB with several distros where you can boot into one to try out and make sure it works with the hardware.

Driver manager will look like this in Mint.  Ubuntu may have something similar.

dm.png.6d021472f288985aa88d5e7f9a882f88.png

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

17 hours ago, ihateubuntu said:

i am damn desperate and an ubuntu noob

--SNIP--

i could have written all this in a better way but i dont think i will get any response, so i am half assing this , i am tired of this shit 

ubuntu sucks and so does everyone who thinks its stable or whatever shit they say 

my laptop is 6 months old so i hope you can understand my frustration

Duly noted, no help here, since apparently I suck. Ubuntu works just fine on my Samsung Series 9 2012 15" MacBook Air that Apple never made but should have laptop. That being said, you have to understand that Linux is so widely supported on so many operating systems, but does require manual tweaking sometimes, depending on your exact hardware and the chipsets inside your computer.

For example, lots of Intel WiFi chips actually work pretty decently on Linux, where as many Broadcom or Ralink networking chipsets straight up have zero support because the manufacturer of the hardware chose not to support Linux with drivers, not the other way around. Like it or not, this is the reality of almost every Unix based OS, and is actually the main reason MacOS doesn't work on non-Apple hardware without tweaking.

Age of your laptop has absolutely nothing to do with the software running on the laptop as long as the hardware is in working order, aside from the fact that older hardware generally has better support on Linux because its' had more time to mature within the community. This is the opposite of support on a closed source OS such as Windows, where the support actually get worse over time due to planned obsolescence aging hardware.

And yes, you could have worded this better instead of half-assing it as you might actually receive help by way of questions about your hardware and suggestions to try to get Ubuntu working as best as your hardware will support it. Anywho, if you provide the exact make and model of computer, I might find some time to at least lookup how well Ubuntu is supported on it, and point you in the right direction.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It`s stable (not saying the unity)