iPhone 8 is worlds "hottest" smartphone

9 hours ago, Froody129 said:

--SNIP--  The fastest mobile processor means nothing when the battery is crap 

This. Exactly this. It's why I cannot stand by any modern phone manufacturer, period. I'm well past the typical "high-school" mentality of bashing Apple products, but it's absolutely unacceptable for products to continue becoming less and less user serviceable as this only creates more e-waste and prevents owners of products from say replacing a worn out battery on a device that still works just fine for their needs.

I'm not asking for expandable storage or even dual SIM slots in all phones, but it's absurd that companies are essentially forcing consumers to throw away perfectly working devices simply because a battery, which could be user-replaceable if the product were designed properly from the beginning, has worn out. Now I'm aware that this makes it more difficult (or impossible) to waterproof a phone - that's a fair point, but consumers should still be given a choice of a waterproof phone you cannot disassemble or a non-waterproof one that you can repair yourself.

Full disclosure: I own both an OP5T and an iPhone SE, and do have and older iPhone 5C as well as would love for Apple to come out with an upgraded iPad Mini as I really do miss my iPad 4 tablet a lot for things like browsing reddit on the couch. However, it won't change the fact that I desire products designed in the best interests of the consumers forking over their money to the companies that make them.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Retina bruh 

Retina is simply a marketing term - iPhones still use the same kinds of screens that have resolutions just like any other screen. One thing Apple does have going for it though on the software side of things is a UI/UX design mandate where developers actually include both regular scale and retina 2x 3x (or vector) assets, making for a more pleasing experience than most other operating systems. I will totally acknowledge that, because even though we're still woefully behind on achieving proper DPI scaling at resolutions above 1080p on all operating systems, MacOS and iOS would be my OS's of choice if forced to use a 4K display right now.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Retina is simply a marketing term - iPhones still use the same kinds of screens that have resolutions just like any other screen.

And any other screen has PPI values. Retina is a lot more than a marketing term. It applies to every display and it’s a mathematical formula. Not some made up bs. Yeah it’s marketing, but it’s marketing a user experience, on me where you can’t see the pixels. 

Why waste power and compute cycles on a 1440p display when a 1080p display is still in the retina range? There is no benefit. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why waste power and compute cycles on a 1440p display when a 1080p display is still in the retina range? There is no benefit. 

I'll agree with you there - no point in having more than 1080p on a phone the size of your hand. Waste of the already still unacceptably short battery life we have because of the insane desire to have the "thinnest phone possible" instead of making a phone that's 1cm thick with a larger battery and easier to hold form factor. (Not just picking on Apple here again - all manufacturers are guilty of this.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Well that's depressing

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

19 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, you're just wrong. 1440p is twice the resolution of 1080p (well, 1.77x but close enough)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And any other screen has PPI values. Retina is a lot more than a marketing term. It applies to every display and it’s a mathematical formula. Not some made up bs. Yeah it’s marketing, but it’s marketing a user experience, on me where you can’t see the pixels. 

I vaguely recall @LAwLz mentioning that Apple renders at a higher resolution and then downscales it -- so not exactly saving compute power.

11 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I'll agree with you there - no point in having more than 1080p on a phone the size of your hand. Waste of the already still unacceptably short battery life we have because of the insane desire to have the "thinnest phone possible" instead of making a phone that's 1cm thick with a larger battery and easier to hold form factor. (Not just picking on Apple here again - all manufacturers are guilty of this.)

Honestly, I would probably take the thinner form factor personally as my X (and 6s+ before that) easily make it through the day.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Are you by any chance a pyro? xD 

I just like hand sanitizer, a lighter and a glass coffee table as much as the next guy. 

4 hours ago, wasab said:

Are you an apple stock holder, investor, CEO? 

As an end user why would you care Apple makes the most profit? 

As an Android user, I will be saying good riddicance if company like Samsung imploded. 

Overpriced metal is overpriced metal. Apple is milking more money out of its users for their exclusive shiny metals. Why are apple fans so happy about that I wonder. 

Apple has a great interest in its shares and want its investors to be happy. If people buy it then why shouldn’t they sell it? It’s a company. 

Not it as if there is any real competition. Fake companies like Razer and phoney Samsung can’t make a great product! Fake media  strikes again.

31 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple has a great interest in its shares and want its investors to be happy. If people buy it then why shouldn’t they sell it? It’s a company. 

Not it as if there is any real competition. Fake companies like Razer and phoney Samsung can’t make a great product! Fake media  strikes again.

Sure, let's put the interest of the share holder first, employees 2nd, and customers last. What can go wrong? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 minutes ago, wasab said:

Sure, let's put the interest of the share holder first, employees 2nd, and customers last. What can go wrong? 

Apple has made it clear that they don’t care what the investors think if they think the investors are wrong. Examples, Apples impressive accessibility options and their Green movement. Both of which investors wanted Tim to stop, he said screw them I’m trying to help. 

Just because a group of peope think differently from you doesn’t necessarily make their way of thinking bad. And this is just tech, it’s not that important. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

Well Apple is one of the most valuable technology companies in the world. The difference now that Tim Cook is in charge is Apple can always do better with the current generation. There's always the notion now that Apple are holding back. There's more imperfections with the current lineup than the older generations. I don't think anyone can disagree there. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple has made it clear that they don’t care what the investors think if they think the investors are wrong. Examples, Apples impressive accessibility options and their Green movement. Both of which investors wanted Tim to stop, he said screw them I’m trying to help. 

Just because a group of peope think differently from you doesn’t necessarily make their way of thinking bad. And this is just tech, it’s not that important. 

Steve job would be rolling in his grave. Apple would never do this if he's in charge. Steve was notorious for canceling Apples charity program and being a total duche to his employees. 

Also, did you know once Steve once cheated thousands of dollars from his business partner? 

He is the founder of Apples philosophy: let's milk some money!

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

He is the founder of Apples philosophy: let's milk some money!

Well he’s dead, so stop derailing the thread. 

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I vaguely recall @LAwLz mentioning that Apple renders at a higher resolution and then downscales it -- so not exactly saving compute power.

Not sure what the conversation is, since I haven't read anything in this thread.

However, that is correct. All iPhones with a resolution of 1080x1920 renders the screen at 1242x2208 internally, and then applies a ~87% downscaling to get to 1080x1920 (internal resolution is 1.15x the panel resolution) .

If you look up the documentation for the iPhone resolutions, you will find that the 1080x1920 iPhones are specified to have 414x736 points. Points are what iOS uses for coordinates when rendering things to the screen (they are abstract and do not correlate to pixels, except on the original iPhone).

The iPhone 8 has 375x667 points, which then gets rendered at 2x bringing the final output to 750x1334.

The iPhone 8+ has 414x736 points, which gets rendered at 3x for an output of 1242x2208, and then that images gets downscaled to 1080x1920 before being displayed.

Worth noting that the downsampling only happens on the plus models.

The iPhone X has 375x812 points, which gets rendered at 3x the resolution for a final output of 1125x2436, matching its native resolution.

No idea why Apple choice 1080x1920 as the resolution when iOS's inflexibility couldn't handle it neatly.

iOS is in general very inflexible when it comes to resolution support, which is why we have weird resolutions like 750x1334 and 1125x2436. It's not because those numbers are mathematically calculated to be the sweet-spot for power efficiency and matching the human eye's resolution. It's because Apple has to pick numbers that are multiplications of the point system they use, which in turn is something they needed to invent to decouple display resolution from where things are drawn on the screen.

"best selling phone" is one thing, taking almost 90% of the profit on smartphone business is another thing.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

That's why apple is so fucking dominant in the smartphone business... 

profit > revenue

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Who here only remembers seeing HTC phones in the early days of Android?

I had a One M8 in Windows Phone lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I miss HTC. The OneM7 was my favorite phone I have ever owned.

58 minutes ago, Rune said:

I miss HTC. The OneM7 was my favorite phone I have ever owned.

used to have a HTC 1x plus? or something like that... 

solid phone.

smooth UI

top notch build quality

nothing to complain about

14 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

No, you're just wrong. 1440p is twice the resolution of 1080p (well, 1.77x but close enough)

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that the difference is virtually unnoticeable on such small screens at the typical viewing distance that people generally use them at. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's not what he's saying. He's saying that the difference is virtually unnoticeable on such small screens at the typical viewing distance that people generally use them at. 

What does "such small" mean? A 24" 1440p monitor is noticeably sharper than a 24" 1080p

She/they 

4 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

What does "such small" mean? A 24" 1440p monitor is noticeably sharper than a 24" 1080p

We're talking about phones.....obviously not a 24" monitor, unless of course you have a 24" phone in your pocket.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

We're talking about phones.....obviously not a 24" monitor, unless of course you have a 24" phone in your pocket.

wouldn't be the only 24" thing in there.   *cough cough**

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

24" phone

amazon > search > zbox mini pc > order > search > 24" touchscreen monitor with vesa mount > search > order >

She/they 

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Back when iPhone 10 was a meme in 2012 xD

Image result for iphone 10 meme

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside