Lenovo's Concept Laptop

Do foldable devices have a realistic use case?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do foldable devices have a realistic use case?

• Yes you doddering idiot, its freaking awesome tech!
    • Maybe if the tech is more heavily developed
    • No, they have no good use case that other devices already can cover for.

From the Verge, by Ashley Carman.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/20/15842654/lenovo-laptop-concept-flexible-display

Lenovo recently revealed a laptop concept with foldable mechanics like the Samsung newspaper revealed at the 2016 Consumers Electronics show. This laptop is very much a concept with the reveal speakers stating that the vision would be fulfilled by using "advanced materials" and "new screen technologies." Obviously very specific in the way they presented it. Although this may come in the near future, I have to echo the author's disbelief and skepticism on the subject of Lenovo's complete abandonment of a touch pad in favor of using stylus, voice control and tracking nub as the devices main means of navigation. This piece of news might not be the most surprising stuff out at the moment but would make for some good ground to debate the future efficacy of bendable devices and portable media after Samsung released their fordable smartphone earlier this year.

concept lenovo laptop.PNG

The one thing that Samsung has shown off but can only go so far is the bendable screen. If Lenovo has is creating this type of screen, and type of computer in general; will it be running mobile processors and other internals that a phone would run to keep it fanless and light? I'm going out on a limb here and saying that for the most part this really is a concept and the likely hood of it coming to market is years away from what we have now. 

This looks like the most ridiculous laptop I've ever seen, and there are some pretty crazy Razer products out there. 

If this is what Lenovo can deliver in the coming years, I can't wait.

That is, assuming we're still using laptops and not brain implants with contact lens displays by the time they make this thing real. 

No space for I/O...so meh not for me. Cool idea though

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

that's real dumb

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I wish designers would actually think about their idea and what advantages it has over what's already in-use or out there already before going public with them. They would soon realise that their new fantastic idea is just really fucking stupid or at least not worth it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

1 minute ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I wish designers would actually think about their idea and what advantages it has over what's already in-use or out there already before going public with them. They would soon realise that their new fantastic idea is just really fucking stupid or at least not worth it.

Agreed. The bending part literally makes the bottom part useless for pretty much anything.

Would people like watching movies where the lower part is bent towards them? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Can we at least get a couple USB C ports? Or some sort of IO? Otherwise I'd never consider it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Another Yogabook-like concept from Lenovo. Knowing them, they'll remove the physical keyboard. Yes the below image is an actual, underpowered, laptop... you can get them at any Walmart that had them for $250-300 since they're being discontinued.

Image result for lenovo yoga book

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

looks like one of those fake tech renders from around 07-09 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Looks really meh and makes no sense.

As for foldable, lightweight smartphone that you can fold it over your hand would be cool. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So busy asking if they could they forgot to ask if they should.

A stylus? I remember those...

That's an F in the profile pic

Wow, a really floppy foldable screen

I can't be the only one who thinks this and the idea as a whole seems really, really stupid.

Not foldable screens in general, there are plenty of use cases I can think for those. But a laptop? No.

I'm going to stick with my regular blocky ThinkPad for now :P

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

I'd rather see more affordable thinkpad brick-y things than whatever this is supposed to be.

I'm trying to remember which space horror game Markiplier played that had these.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.