When Can a PC Be Considered Budget/Mid-Range/Enthusiast?

jiyeon
13 hours ago, Noctus said:

Well tbh, it should just mean base level of the PC for it to function. If you've clearly got like 5 SSDs and 1500 quids worth of watercooling it's clearly more than the "average" for the levels he's suggested. Tho i do think the price point he's put for Workstation/Enthusiast level is waaay under. If i was to build my "Enthusiast" rig i'd happily blitz past 5k and beyond. 

Its by opinion I did state that and everyone will differ slightly. $2500 - $3000 should buy the majority of people a decent workstation PC. I guess there is another tier of blow the budget I didn't factor xD

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

18 hours ago, stealth80 said:

I think its subjective and personal opinion, but in my eyes

Budget - Pentium CPU, 1050/1050ti/570, 8gb ram, HDD - less than $500

Low end - i3/Ryzen 2200/2400g/Ryzen 1300 - 1400, SSD, 1050ti/1060/580 - Around $800 ish

Mid range - i5/1600/2600X, 1070/vega 56, SSD, HDD, 16gb ram - Around $1100 ish

High End - i7/1700/2700x, 1080/vega 64, SSD, HDD, 16gb ram - around $1500 ish

Enthusiast - i7/2700X, 1080ti, SSD, HDD, 16/32gb ram - around $2000

Work Station/blow the budget - i9/Threadripper, Titan/1080ti (possible SLI), Raid SSD, HDD storage, 32/64gb ram - $2500 - $3000

Anymore just aint required

You telling me that my 32core epyc chip and Titan v with 128gb of ram with raid m.2 970 pros and 50TB of iron wolf pros isnt required!?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

You telling me that my 32core epyc chip and Titan v with 128gb of ram with raid m.2 970 pros and 50TB of iron wolf pros isnt required!?

no not at all, you go for it =p 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

23 hours ago, seoz said:

In a full PC system, what parts can give one's custom PC the titles of enthusiast?

Just the use of top-notch hardware to support whatever it is you are 'enthusiastic' about.

Some examples...

A gamer would have a high end GPU, and a precision keyboard and mouse.
A musician would have a high end sound card and maybe an external sequencer and DAC for headphones.
An artist would have a high end CPU and maybe a drawing tablet and large format color calibrated printer or plotter.
A movie buff would have a large high end display, amplifier and room calibrated 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

7 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Just the use of top-notch hardware to support whatever it is you are 'enthusiastic' about.

Some examples...

A gamer would have a high end GPU, and a precision keyboard and mouse.
A musician would have a high end sound card and maybe an external sequencer and DAC for headphones.
An artist would have a high end CPU and maybe a drawing tablet and large format color calibrated printer or plotter.
A movie buff would have a large high end display, amplifier and room calibrated 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

That's a nice way to put it, well-summarised.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

ah,

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

On 7/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, Imbellis said:

I don't think that you can really put general-pc-building into such a simple spectrum. There are too many subcategories - A Enthusiast Gaming PC can be a Budget workstation. In addition, time also effects those categories - an enthusiast rig from '10 would be budget now.

However, in the vein of gaming, I'd think that $200-$699 is budget, $700-$1599 is mid-range, and $1600+ is enthusiast.

Price isn't a good indicator. I see people make bad pairings like an i5 with an overpriced AIO vs an i7 with an air cooler or blow their load on RGB fans all the time.

I would say an enthusinst would be using a top end GPU with high end desktop or a mid to high level workstation platform CPU.

Midrange being i5s r5s maybe locked i7s and --60 or --70 or 580/480 and r9 280X-R9 390

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 hours ago, seoz said:

That's a nice way to put it, well-summarised.

An enthusiast PC is not for everyone the same. It depends on its purpoise.

i3 = R3

i5 = R5

i7 = R7

1050Ti = RX 570

1060 = RX 580

1070 = Best AMD card

hi.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:57 AM, 6thOntheLeft said:
budg·et
ˈbəjət/
noun

1. 1.
    an estimate of income and expenditure for a set period of time.

When you are talking about a budget PC you are describing the PC, therefore:

adjective

1. 1.
    inexpensive.

Here's what I equate each category. 

Low-end: PCs featuring a Core i3/Ryzen 3 or lower with a GTX x50/RX x60 class GPU or lower with 4-8GB of RAM and will usually have a single HDD or a single SSD. 

Midrange: PCs with a Core i5/Ryzen 5 with a GTX x50 Ti/x60/RX x70/x80 class GPU with 8GB of RAM and usually feature a small SSD as a boot drive combined with a large HDD. 

High-end: PCs with a Core i7/Ryzen 7 with a GTX x70/RX Vega class GPU or higher with 16GB of RAM and feature a relatively large SSD combined with a larger HDD. 

Super high-end/workstation: PCs that feature the beefiest of beefy, which usually feature a Core i9/ThreadRipper CPU with a GTX x80 Ti/Titan/Quadro/Vega FE class GPU with 32GB of RAM and features a very large storage combo of SSDs laid out in RAID, although HDDs may also be used 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Budget: Mac Mini

Mid-Range: iMac

Enthusiast: Mac Pro 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Budget: Mac Mini

Mid-Range: iMac

Enthusiast: Mac Pro 

Over priced last gen stuff at very best. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

2 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Over priced last gen stuff at very best. 

Must have had to wait for Windows Update to post that comment.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Must have had to wait for Windows Update to post that comment.

Using a phone. Don't be mad this fall you can get that 8700k after Intel launched 9th gen lol. Don't get me wrong macs are nice laptop but price the component's out in one your paying for the name. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

If you build it yourself for yourself, it's enthusiast. If you build it with a specific budget in mind, it's budget.

To people who take literal meaning of the word "budget" as a noun - do you also interpret the phrase "warm welcome" as a greeting during high temperature?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

The problem here is that budget, mid-range, and high-end are relative....

Price will come later on, I usually differentiate them based on the purpose.

Like budget is usually for basic office work, YouTube, listening to music, nothing intense.

Mid-range for those who wants to do office work but still want to do gaming (no high expectation though, at least it runs)

High-end is for those who just want fast, 60+ FPS gaming, ultra graphics, no tolerance over slow performance. Those who say it's for "office" work are usually a liar (at least here :P).

If you know what you're going to do with your PC later, you might then have some pictures about the price.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My subjective ranking:

Budget (entry level PC which purpose is to browse web, watch YT videos and movies, maybe play some online games or non demanding games on "low" in max 1080p resolution)

Example: Something like GT1030 or integrated graphics or AMD equivalent with an i3 or lower end i5 CPU or AMD equivalent

Budget gaming (a slightly stronger PC that will allow entry gaming - non demanding games on medium, more demanding games on low

Example: GTX 1050 or maybe 1050ti with lower end i5 or AMD equivalents

Mid Range (allows for comfortable gaming in most titles achieving 60fps - depending on the title can be a bit more or a bit less. Settings can be cranked between medium and high allowing to even venture to 1440p though heavily depending on the title and settings.

Example: GTX 1060-1070 paired with a current i5 or even i7 CPU or AMD equivalent

High-end (allows for maxing or near maxing the settings in 1440p while achieving high fps count. Possible ventures into 4k territory though depending on the title settings need to be lowered from ultra to high in order to maintain 60fps).

Example: GTX 1080 and higher paired with a good i5 or i7 CPU or AMD equivalent. High core count CPU's may appear.

Enthusiast-level (allows for all settings to be set to max, high resolution texture mods, DSR resolution gameplay, high fps count. Usually consists of elements generally considered as "not needed" by the majority but they are there "because we can".)

Examples: Top level single GPU (1080ti+) or multi-GPU builds (1080+ in SLI), top level gaming CPUs or AMD equivalents. Elements that may have the "because we can" factor: high core count CPU's (x99/x299 or AMD equivalent), custom water loops, extensive modifications to the chassis.

This ranking by no means exhausts all possibilities. In those examples I listed the most commonly encountered combinations which I personally rank the way my gut tells me to. Someone may have different opinion and ofc. there are highly specialized instances where giving a rank is very difficult (like how do we rank someone building a custom hardline loop for a GTX 1060 build?).

Also the ranking is made generally with gaming in mind - for productivity it may look a bit different when someone prioritizes CPU computing over GPU for instance.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

28 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Budget (entry level PC which purpose is to browse web, watch YT videos and movies, maybe play some online games or non demanding games on "low" in max 1080p resolution)

Example: Something like GT1030 or integrated graphics or AMD equivalent with an i3 or lower end i5 CPU or AMD equivalent

Budget gaming (a slightly stronger PC that will allow entry gaming - non demanding games on medium, more demanding games on low

Example: GTX 1050 or maybe 1050ti with lower end i5 or AMD equivalents

Mid Range (allows for comfortable gaming in most titles achieving 60fps - depending on the title can be a bit more or a bit less. Settings can be cranked between medium and high allowing to even venture to 1440p though heavily depending on the title and settings.

Example: GTX 1060-1070 paired with a current i5 or even i7 CPU or AMD equivalent

High-end (allows for maxing or near maxing the settings in 1440p while achieving high fps count. Possible ventures into 4k territory though depending on the title settings need to be lowered from ultra to high in order to maintain 60fps).

Example: GTX 1080 and higher paired with a good i5 or i7 CPU or AMD equivalent. High core count CPU's may appear.

Enthusiast-level (allows for all settings to be set to max, high resolution texture mods, DSR resolution gameplay, high fps count. Usually consists of elements generally considered as "not needed" by the majority but they are there "because we can".)

Examples: Top level single GPU (1080ti+) or multi-GPU builds (1080+ in SLI), top level gaming CPUs or AMD equivalents. Elements that may have the "because we can" factor: high core count CPU's (x99/x299 or AMD equivalent), custom water loops, extensive modifications to the chassis.

This ranking by no means exhausts all possibilities. In those examples I listed the most commonly encountered combinations which I personally rank the way my gut tells me to.

I agree with every single categorisation you've done here, it's pretty much how I pictured gaming PC categorisation.

32 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Someone may have different opinion and ofc. there are highly specialized instances where giving a rank is very difficult (like how do we rank someone building a custom hardline loop for a GTX 1060 build?

Yeah, the rare areas can be hard to rank. To me, custom loop builds are almost always enthusiast since no regular consumer would run a custom watercooled loop for their PC.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

9 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

Using a phone. Don't be mad this fall you can get that 8700k after Intel launched 9th gen lol. Don't get me wrong macs are nice laptop but price the component's out in one your paying for the name. 

I'm not sure you can get a 8700k in a Mac I think it was replaced by a Xeon in the iMac Pro. 

When you start paying more for components because of looks/quality/futureproofing over just performance is enthusiast.

MAIN BUILD!

On 7/4/2018 at 5:17 PM, seoz said:

So I've had a sort of conundrum on my mind, and that is when can a custom PC be considered for the different categories such as budget, mid-range, and enthusiast.

I was discussing my PC specs with a friend and he was asking why I went for an i5 versus an i7, and I referred to the i7 as an enthusiast CPU and the i5 as a generally mid-range one. Then it came to my graphics card and I called my 3GB GTX 1060 a budget card.

In a full PC system, what parts can give one's custom PC the titles of budget, mid-range, or enthusiast?

For me at least, I feel my PC is a mid-range due to the i5-8600K, 8GB of RAM, but also gives it a budget title thanks to the 3GB GTX 1060 and literal budget CPU cooler.

I mean it really doesn't matter, but I would call anything below 800 budget, 800-1500 mid range, 1500+ is enthusiast or high end. 

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen