iHotel PC's are running Vista???

Not many people seemed to notice this, but the iHotel computers from Linus' latest video seem to be running Windows Vista.

Isn't that the strangest thing you have ever seen lmao...? I'm surprised Linus didn't touch on it a single time that whole video.

I can understand maybe wanting to run Windows 7 or 8, but WHY vista of all operating systems?

Some places just can't afford huge system upgrades like that.

My local library was running Vista for freaking ever and just in the last couple years made the jump to 7.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Some places just can't afford huge system upgrades like that.

My local library was running Vista for freaking ever and just in the last couple years made the jump to 7.

But they can afford to upgrade to the latest hardware? I understand what you mean. My local school district did not upgrade to windows 7 until well after windows 8 came out, but these are brand new computers running gtx 1080ti's... Not to mention, compared to past windows operating systems, windows 10 is dirt cheap.

I suppose they have their reasons. It just seems kind of silly to me. Linus mentioned something about how the boot drives wipe every time the systems are booted. Maybe it has something to do with that?

10 minutes ago, kxrider85 said:

Not many people seemed to notice this, but the iHotel computers from Linus' latest video seem to be running Windows Vista.

Isn't that the strangest thing you have ever seen lmao...? I'm surprised Linus didn't touch on it a single time that whole video.

I can understand maybe wanting to run Windows 7 or 8, but WHY vista of all operating systems?

7 had theme options very similar to the look of windows vista.

31 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

Why is Vista so hated? I don't understand.

It was just really bad at release compared to the much mature Windows XP what led most people to jump/skip it from XP straight to 7.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If Vista still works for them, they have no reason to upgrade.

hi.

5 hours ago, kxrider85 said:

If it is 7 like GoodBytes says it makes complete sense the only issue I can think of is that some games will only work on 10 but that's a small sacrifice for running a IMO better version of windows. Plus I doubt they wanted there machines being constantly pestered by update notifications, I'd bargain that was a huge contributor for their choice of 7

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

3 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

it had tons of problems even with high end hardware at that time, it was just... bad, the way it implemented DX10 was a disaster and most of the games lagged, sometimes the Computer window would just be white and you had to log out and back in or restart explorer.exe in order to make it work

the worst part? it was the only x64 OS at that time (2007) not counting the previous disaster called XP64 of course, you wanted to run crysis? vista. halo 2? vista. modern warfare? vista. PAINFUL, having 7 just 2 years after that was a miracle, vista wasn't even finished when it was released, final vista was kind of a longhorn alpha, crap OS

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Software compatability. 100% chance there is something they are running on them that needs Vista for some stupid reason.

I used to work in CNC and we had multi million dollar machines that were running Windows XP on 4th gen mobile i series hardware in the controllers.

The software only worked on XP. So the machines ran XP.

We also had stuff still running DOS and Windows 3.1, some machines ran older versions of SunOS.

If it works, its not a problem.

^ correct.  A lot of businesses use legacy software that will only work correctly on a certain OS.  The original proprietor of the software might not exist anymore or it might not be in the budget to pay for an upgrade.  Custom software for businesses can be very expensive.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows Vista doesn't have the transparent large task bar.

Yes, it does.

Spoiler

vistasp210.thumb.jpg.5c2f4f030a750e258297b62ee78e11bf.jpg

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

tons of problems even with high end hardware at that time

Vista didn't have that many issues with high end hardware, no more than XP, 7, or 8 did. Most issues with Vista were due explicitly to OEMs shipping "new" laptops and desktops running low end XP era hardware that couldn't adequately run Vista. It prompted Microsoft to artificially raise the minimum requirements of Windows.

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

having 7 just 2 years after that was a miracle, vista wasn't even finished when it was released, final vista was kind of a longhorn alpha, crap OS

Windows 7 is little more than Vista SP2 with a touched up GUI, very minor under the hood tweaks, updated basic drivers, and new built in utilities.

5 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

Now, it's literally just a bandwagon thing. Originally, OEMs just recycled low end XP machines by installing Vista on them when they couldn't handle it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

Because people abandoned ship before Microsoft pretty much fixed everything with Service Pack 2. That, and most early adopters were using machines that would've met the minimum spec for Windows XP. Which did run like poop, even with Windows XP. We're talking like your refurbished eMachines with a single core Celeron and maybe a 1GB of RAM. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Alright, I'm new here, But I did notice that the IHotel PC's weren't running Windows 10. But, with all the talk that everyone is currently doing about these computers running Windows Vista, I want to say that you're wrong. NVidia doesn't support Windows Vista with the 1080 Ti. Windows Vista supports DirectX 11, But that was an Update that was required to be downloaded and installed. Also, Linus mentioned that IHotel's internet was really fast, I'm not saying Windows Vista wouldn't support it, But Google Chrome and Firefox have dropped support for the operating system. Most Antivirus programs (To my knowledge) does not work on Vista, and with their internet speed, and network size, Security is a must. Steam has also stated that it is dropping support for Windows Vista as well. I hope this helps solve the debate.

Windows Vista Support.png

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, it does.

I meant a lot more transparent, not 10% or whatever transparent.

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Vista didn't have that many issues with high end hardware, no more than XP, 7, or 8 did. Most issues with Vista were due explicitly to OEMs shipping "new" laptops and desktops running low end XP era hardware that couldn't adequately run Vista. It prompted Microsoft to artificially raise the minimum requirements of Windows.

Agree. If you have a powerful gaming system, where you ensured that your motherboard had ONLY the latest technologies, than Vista was running fine. It did have bugs that were never fixed liked deleting a shortcuts might get explorer stuck... and the odd bug here and there (which at the time, was following MS past actions, like XP had tool tips appearing, but behind the window or task bar so you can't see it, and never been fixed since the OS was release) but overall it was fine.

Beside OEMs loving to throw 512MB on the system, and a Intel integrated graphics that could not do alpha blending, let alone play a DVD smoothly (DVD is 480p resolution, for the record). It was a joke. Also, after 6 years having XP, many manufactures decided that it would be a great idea to discontinue support for ALL there hardware even those released under a year ago, to replace it with identical latest model but with Vista drivers. HP Printers, Creative Labs sound cards and many others went that route. I am happy to see that this decision was a flop, lead to legal dispute, only to have the companies reverse (but the damage was done, as Vista was in the end of its life, with Windows 7 already in beta stages), and  these companies saw a loss of revenue as most consumers just bought the competitor who didn't do this. Example, ASUS Xonar got popular because of Creative's shit drivers and the story they did with Vista.

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Windows 7 is little more than Vista SP2 with a touched up GUI, very minor under the hood tweaks, updated basic drivers, and new built in utilities.

Now, it's literally just a bandwagon thing. Originally, OEMs just recycled low end XP machines by installing Vista on them when they couldn't handle it.

Well the big mission of Windows 7 was to polish Vista and have the most consistent interface of all Windows versions, and they did achieve this, with the most panels and built-in programs looking like they belong. Wasn't perfect, but the most consistent. Presentation is everything in a product, and that did help a lot. Of course it brought a slew of new features and price drop, which has really helped pushed the success of the OS. While Vista was a large part recoded from scratch for future technology and security (XP was based on NT 3 kernel, which was 1993 technology... before the mass popularization of the internet which started in ~1995 in US/Canada), for the end user it didn't bring many new features to justify the upgrade, and the bad press didn't help anything.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

meant a lot more transparent, not 10% or whatever transparent.

Vista could also be that transparent, it just wasn't the default.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I still own my Vista ultimate install disk

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

12 hours ago, GTinsider said:

Alright, I'm new here, But I did notice that the IHotel PC's weren't running Windows 10. But, with all the talk that everyone is currently doing about these computers running Windows Vista, I want to say that you're wrong. NVidia doesn't support Windows Vista with the 1080 Ti. Windows Vista supports DirectX 11, But that was an Update that was required to be downloaded and installed. Also, Linus mentioned that IHotel's internet was really fast, I'm not saying Windows Vista wouldn't support it, But Google Chrome and Firefox have dropped support for the operating system. Most Antivirus programs (To my knowledge) does not work on Vista, and with their internet speed, and network size, Security is a must. Steam has also stated that it is dropping support for Windows Vista as well. I hope this helps solve the debate.

Windows Vista Support.png

Yeah its more likely Windows 7 with a Vista-like theme

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

All systems that I see on the video are running Windows 7.

Windows Vista doesn't have the transparent large task bar.

That's definitely Vista. 7 doesn't have gradient on the task bar with an oversized start orb. Nor does it have the graphic on the side of the control panel. (I used Vista for many years [Only PC we had was running Vista, so I didn't have much choice])

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So... How can you guys tell it's Vista? The task bar?

Last I checked, the taskbar in Windows 7 was near identical(if not exact same) to the one in Vista when Small Icons was selected in the taskbar settings.

That option was there since Day 1 in Win 7. How do none of you know about it?

Am I just missing a big glaring "this is obviously vista" thing in video here? Because if this is just based on the taskbar, it's a flawed argument.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

51 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

That's definitely Vista. 7 doesn't have gradient on the task bar with an oversized start orb. Nor does it have the graphic on the side of the control panel. (I used Vista for many years [Only PC we had was running Vista, so I didn't have much choice])

Picture please of the video where you see this. You can make Win7 taskbar thin with the orb coming out from the taskbar options.

31 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So... How can you guys tell it's Vista? The task bar?

Last I checked, the taskbar in Windows 7 was near identical(if not exact same) to the one in Vista when Small Icons was selected in the taskbar settings.

That option was there since Day 1 in Win 7. How do none of you know about it?

Am I just missing a big glaring "this is obviously vista" thing in video here? Because if this is just based on the taskbar, it's a flawed argument.

They are many different small element that you can base yourself. I went with the taskbar as it is the easiest to talk about and notice.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Picture please of the video where you see this. You can make Win7 taskbar thin with the orb coming out from the taskbar options.

Spoiler

Image result for windows vista

Spoiler

Image result for windows 7

I was talking about the screenshot you put in the post I quoted. In the video, It's pretty clear it's Windows 7 that their running as it has the box at the right edge of the taskbar to show the desktop.

image.png.60aaa676da16a0c6bdb803f7a1c9e68e.png

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W