"Windows based equivalent of Mac Pro is more expensive"

heineygoat

That's not why anyone, at least I speak for myself, is hating on it.

It's because in no where on any planet would someone in their right mind spend 25 grand on a pc which is not even 20% better then one that costs 3 grand.

There are people who need the type of hardware in the Mac Pro. The reason I had said "[this] isn't just an average 4770K + GTX 780 build.." in my previous comment was that this isn't made as a consumer grade PC.. For the average person, you're completely correct. Most people would never need this, and the increased price is simply wasting money. However, if you're a professional user who absolutely needs a workstation with things like ECC memory and professional graphics, a 4930K + two 7970s isn't a good value even though the chips are the similar to the E5-2697 and the W9000. If you're doing valuable work that cannot have certain types of errors, the price you pay for professional hardware is a small price compared to the money you could lose by doing your job incorrectly. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

You realize that has nothing to do with what I said. Anyone who buys this is literally piss stupid. You can get near same performance for a fraction of the cost. Please show me some where that firepro cards and xeon have performance 7x better then a 4770k overclocked and 780s.

Actually no, show me somewhere that it's even TWICE as good. Please I'm dying to see it.

Oh and of course, 64 gigs of ram. Can't live without it.

I disagree. Pros buy their hardware knowing they will not get much more performance from their parts. They are willing to shell out MANY times more for hardware for little or nothing more than regular parts but they will at least know for a fact that their stuff is dependable and will continue to perform at their peak even under 24/7 loads.

Pros who buy pro parts are never stupid, it's their insurance policy.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

You realize that has nothing to do with what I said. Anyone who buys this is literally piss stupid. You can get near same performance for a fraction of the cost. Please show me some where that firepro cards and xeon have performance 7x better then a 4770k overclocked and 780s.

Actually no, show me somewhere that it's even TWICE as good. Please I'm dying to see it.

for workstation applications, such as video editing, workstation grade components are HUGE. knowing that you won't have to re-render something because absolutely all the hardware is verified and compatible is huge when working with raw video. I don't want to render for 4 hours just to have to re-render

source: worked for the UGA broadcast studio. they're serious about their shit, and are switching over to just these "trash cans" for this very reason. they were rendering a month's worth of footage that took a week to render on one of their servers, only to have to re-render because one of the IT guys dropped in some non-ECC ram.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

for workstation applications, such as video editing, workstation grade components are HUGE. knowing that you won't have to re-render something because absolutely all the hardware is verified and compatible is huge when working with raw video. I don't want to render for 4 hours just to have to re-render

source: worked for the UGA broadcast studio. they're serious about their shit, and are switching over to just these "trash cans" for this very reason. they were rendering a month's worth of footage that took a week to render on one of their servers, only to have to re-render because one of the IT guys dropped in some non-ECC ram.

.... time is money......

is this IT guy still employed?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

post-42897-0-13545900-1388200903.jpg

Might be better, but it looks like a rubbish bin

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

.... time is money......

is this IT guy still employed?

no.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

for that angle for sure. It looks nice from the top down tho

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Apple buys at better than wholesale and the Windows version is bought part by part at retail and someone is surprised that it cost more?

Years ago someone added up how much it would cost to buy a car in after market parts. Turns out it would be about 3 times the retail cost of the car.

Only Appeloids and fools think the article has any merit.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Apple buys at better than wholesale and the Windows version is bought part by part at retail and someone is surprised that it cost more?

Shit, it's like a company is out to make money or something. How absurd right?

I remember calculating it and the Eurocom Panther 5D costs  about the same for the same specs... and it's a laptop.

But why are we turning hardware companies into celebrities? Its just hardware, you can only really like it based on facts not opinions.

I own no Apple products, yet I felt kind of obliged to defend it because of the ridiculous comments getting posted.

The only one that had any vadility was it looks like a trash can, but most PCs look like one of these:

15-litre-grey-sanitary-bin-for-ladies-wa

If we are going to choose our products soley based on what they are most akin to in terms of looks then I'll take the trash can :lol:

Ha, it looks like a phantom case. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

People really will find any reason to hate Apple. 

just like they will find any reason to defend them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I remember calculating it and the Eurocom Panther 5D costs  about the same for the same specs... and it's a laptop.

You cannot actually configure a 5D with the same specs. Even if you could though you can in no way compare a laptop and a desktop PC, the laptop has humongous thermal limitations that the Mac Pro and any other desktop PC doesn't have to deal with. On top of that working with a desktop PC is a thousand times better experience than working with a laptop.

You cannot actually configure a 5D with the same specs. Even if you could though you can in no way compare a laptop and a desktop PC, the laptop has humongous thermal limitations that the Mac Pro and any other desktop PC doesn't have to deal with. On top of that working with a desktop PC is a thousand times better experience than working with a laptop.

I later remembered that the graphics cards were different.

You can give it a 12 core IB-E chip, though.

How much do two fire pros cost? The Panther 5D only comes with two Quadro K5000s.

I'm just saying that because of all the limitations of a laptop, you would think that it would end up costing more.

I don't have time to do the math right now and I'm on a phone, but I won't believe it until I do.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-based-high-end-mac-pro-equivilent-costs-even-9599/

I believe this. The last Mac Pro was also a better deal when it FIRST came out (big emphasis on first lot here). Of course, when the keep asking the same price a year or more later with bo hardware update, then they will be a horrible deal.

I later remembered that the graphics cards were different.

You can give it a 12 core IB-E chip, though.

How much do two fire pros cost? The Panther 5D only comes with two Quadro K5000s.

I'm just saying that because of all the limitations of a laptop, you would think that it would end up costing more.

Nah, most of the time the limitations show during use, and definitely after some time. The laptop will slowly (or quickly depending on use) become more and more sluggish and replacing tim and dusting it off wont help much. I've owned two of Dell's top of the line laptop workstations and they've all died on me within a year. I cannot under any circumstances recommend that one gets a laptop for a workstation solution.

You are being stupid this is a workstation not a gaming pc people who need a workstation can use that much ram in fact  64 gigs is on the low end for a high end workstation. Explain to me how you think a 12 core xeon is in anyway comparable to a four core consumer grade part. Those firepro cards cost $3400 each and are for compute or graphics work not gaming. Does amd have large margins on them? yes but if you need the error correction and professional grade drivers its worth it. If you are doing professional work the fact that you didn't have to rerun an hours long video render or your geological simulations for that gas well your company is going to drill. Time is money and this is especially true in the world of high end workstations. 

How is this possible? An Apple device which is CHEAPER than a PC equivalent

HiTpqXp.png

Not to mention that is has more RAM and has a faster SSD.

repost and i wont believe it ! :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You could save a lot with a different from factor.

Quote me to get a reply!