"Windows based equivalent of Mac Pro is more expensive"

heineygoat

Woah really? A whole repost more?! Gee wiz!

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

You could save a lot with a different from factor.

or with not using server grade procesors

and overpriced motherboards

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

those are diffrent gpu's...

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/94167-windows-based-equivalent-of-mac-pro-is-more-expensive/

inb4lock4badthread

those are diffrent gpu's...

They're about the same.
The W9000 specs at 4 teraflops single precision while Apple has the D700 at 3.5 teraflops. This could be because of a frequency delta for the core clock. On the W9000 it specs at 975 MHz core clock speed. Perhaps on the D700 it runs at 900? D700 is a Tahiti-based GPU.

Amazon has the FirePro W9000 at 3,158.USD. Apple is providing two D700′s in all Mac Pro configurations as options. That’s over six grand in GPU costs alone. " 

sauce: http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

Even if it is cheaper, it really sucks considering you have to spend $10k to notice a difference in price.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Let's see someone do this with consumer grade overclocked hardware. I'm legit curious if the performance can match up. Like many raid 0 120/128GB SSDs vs an overpriced PCI-E one. ect ect

What exactly are the D500 and D700? Why is the D500 only $300 cheaper per GPU ($600 total)? Yet the W8000 verse the W9000 is a 2 grand difference, and the W8000 appears to be better than the D500? 

I'm not familiar with FirePros at all, but I find it fishy that they're using the D names. 

or with not using server grade procesors

and overpriced motherboards

Something tells me whoever put the PC build together didn't try hard enough.

Using what you call a server-grade CPU is one of the points of the Mac Pro. Soldierknowsbest talked a lot about it on the recent stream, and explains it in a way that everyone can understand. If you want to build a machine comparable to the Mac Pro you have to use similar components. It's clear that the Xeon and FirePro cards are a waste for most applications, but for the people who actually buy these machines they are an absolute necessity, hence why a 4930K build with a gaming card cannot be used in comparison to the Mac Pro. One should also note that the Windows PC doesn't even have ECC RAM, so if anything it's still severely under-specced compared to the Mac Pro.

What exactly are the D500 and D700? Why is the D500 only $300 cheaper per GPU ($600 total)? Yet the W8000 verse the W9000 is a 2 grand difference, and the W8000 appears to be better than the D500? 

I'm not familiar with FirePros at all, but I find it fishy that they're using the D names.

They're Apple exclusive and AMD gave them big discount to compete with Nvidia as they have larger market share in workstations

In my first post I linked an article:  http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

It seems to be a rebranding and downclocking of the original.

Using what you call a server-grade CPU is one of the points of the Mac Pro. Soldierknowsbest talked a lot about it on the recent stream, and explains it in a way that everyone can understand. If you want to build a machine comparable to the Mac Pro you have to use similar components. It's clear that the Xeon and FirePro cards are a waste for most applications, but for the people who actually buy these machines they are an absolute necessity, hence why a 4930K build with a gaming card cannot be used in comparison to the Mac Pro. One should also note that the Windows PC doesn't even have ECC RAM, so if anything it's still severely under-specced compared to the Mac Pro.

Thank You!

Sure give me a entire design team at intel / asus / AMD combo and i'm sure i can make something cheaper and much more pleasing to the eye then that, not to mention cheaper.

sweet lord almighty why does ANYONE EVEN CARE?

For the two or three of you on the forum that even needs a 6k PC, I apologize if I have offended you.

Error: 410

For the two or three of you on the forum that even needs a 6k PC, I apologize if I have offended you.

I think spending 2K on a PC is OP let alone 6K plus anyway.  :P

Yep, but as some of the die hard apple fanboys will say, when you pay more you get more:

The extra $2000 gets you direct compatibility with 92% of the worlds computers,  upgradeability without have to go back to apple, ability to add more parts,  ability to add proprietary expansion cards.

And of course the usual statement:  If you don't understand why it's worth $2000 more then you don't understand professional workstations.

/smartarse rant.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm an enthusiast who is also anal about facts and get upset when people ignore them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Of course, comparing using the retail cost of parts isn't exactly fair, considering Apple probably gets the parts at a much lower price.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm not surprised at all.

For years, higher end Mac Pros were always usually cheaper than their PC counterparts when first launched.

Don't know why people think this is a big deal to be honest.

Well... this is good I guess. Pretty competitive price.

Reminds me of the Macbook Air being cheaper than most ultrabooks at the same spec range.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx