Why do we need SO MANY SERVERS??

Gotta love all the tech it takes to make tech videos. Lends itself to creating the content you need to keep creating content.

Unrelated, but this got Smooth Operator by Sade stuck in my head.

Awesome video as to how you guys do your videos (still won't buy the sponsored  product as it's useless to me :P).

I'm going to assume the mov files are based on this video:

If that's the case 24GB isn't that massive, esp for 4K. Just saying. It would be still painful to upload however assuming it is possible.

Recording in 1080 in games I pull 3GB per 10 minutes, still wouldn't want to upload that tho.

This is very cool to see! Linus talked about how the NVMe SSD NAS is replicated in real time to a hard drive server, and that that server is also replicated to a server off-site. But do you also back up your ~400TB archive anywhere in-house or offsite? If so, how (or why, if not)? I missed that in the video if it was mentioned.

I loved the video of Linus introducing the Red camera and watching him have a melt down over the cost. I always thought going with Red was a bit excessive, but that's Linus Media Group for you. I was glad to see you guys also use an A7s(ii?) as I kept thinking, "Why use an 8k Red Weapon when a Sony a7sII would probably be far more practical?"

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

42 minutes ago, haghighi said:

This is very cool to see! Linus talked about how the NVMe SSD NAS is replicated in real time to a hard drive server, and that that server is also replicated to a server off-site. But do you also back up your ~400TB archive anywhere in-house or offsite? If so, how (or why, if not)? I missed that in the video if it was mentioned.

We currently only have one copy of the 400TB archive.

The reason is simply that it's cost-prohibitive to have it backed up compared to how much the footage is really "worth" to us.

Just signed up to say, great folder separation at around 12:30.

++++

Linus needs an Epyc server full of optane drives next

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Loved the video. Think it would be possible to go into budget storage/transcode servers using used components? Perhaps a ScrapYard Wars series could be made of it, though without a specific set of benchmarks, might be rather difficult to make interesting (random but probably terrible idea).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

31 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We currently only have one copy of the 400TB archive.

The reason is simply that it's cost-prohibitive to have it backed up compared to how much the footage is really "worth" to us.

Thanks, Linus. That's what I expected when I didn't hear it mentioned in the video. Even though I don't work in production, the Linus Tech Tips workflow and server videos are an instant watch for me.

Would love to know the model numbers of your Supermicro 2u server and the 2u black server with the 8 x8gb drives. Also, which backup software are you using to auto-backup? That will come in handy for a lot of people here.

So, I work with cameras and footage on major motion pictures. I used to own two Red Helium cameras like you use, (now upgraded to become monstro), also own two Alexa SXT, Two Amiras, and Two Alexa Minis. I say this not to brag, but to give background. I have dealt with a lot of footage data in my time.  I've had some near misses losing footage. (Once, sleep deprived working long days on a major Superhero movie, I accidentally deleted all of the day's footage and had a panic attack before I realised that I had 2 other copies). I've never lost any footage because of safeguards I have in place.  Seeing Linus copy the footage off in file explorer without any checksum made me feel an undue amount of stress.  I typically run an MD5 checksum on the source and destination though there are faster checksums out there that are plenty good enough for the application. MD5 is required by many of the big studios or insurance companies.    I know youtube is a different world than I'm used to but man checksums are like a warm blanket. Going without checksums is like rock climbing without a rope.

Have you ever been burned by not verifying your footage?

Why not use LTO for long-term storage of the original "negative" and process out high quality compressed proxy files that you can use to edit etc.  In most cases, a good quality proxy file is more than usable and waaaay smaller.   A LTO archive with a robotic loader is way less expensive than two online raids.  Especially if you consider the electricity cost. 

You should do a video about how much data you would be shooting if you weren't shooting compressed raw on red and instead of shooting something like the Arri Alexa 65.  I Just finished a couple of superhero movies shot on it, man that camera kicks out a lot of GB.  so nuts.

Edited by Shutter
Removed something that wasnt 100% accurate but I didnt want to go into it more so I cut itout

Good Video, but I would of liked to see your other servers such as, Domain Controller, CCTV Server, Exchange Server, and other core infrastructure servers etc... 

Is there was reason on why PeerSync(at least from what I could see from the video) was used instead of using something like DFS(distributed file system) which is built into Windows Server for file replication?  

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

2 hours ago, bobthedamnbuilder said:

Do you use any Virtualization such as VMware or Hyper-V. If not, why?

Why would they need to virtualize?

As we saw, the majority of their servers are dedicated to storage.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

5 hours ago, herfst said:

Just signed up to say, great folder separation at around 12:30.

++++

Welcome! 

Hopefully you plan to stay!

it's time

What is used to sync the 2 servers and save deleted files?

PS, I have always wondered why you don't have a domain with that many employees

3 hours ago, bobthedamnbuilder said:

Do you use any Virtualization such as VMware or Hyper-V. If not, why?

I came here wondering the same. Most likely an oversight at design stages.

2 hours ago, unijab said:

Why would they need to virtualize?

As we saw, the majority of their servers are dedicated to storage.

Redundancy. Load balancing. Easier maintenance.

They already kind of have something like this in place in case their primary share fails as I could see, but it requires them to change network maps, and I can see this being a major pain in the ass when it happens.

If they do the redundancy part correctly, they could set up 2 storage boxes, split the high performance storage between them in separate storage pools and serve them to 2 separate CPU/GPU virtualization servers hosting their VM's doing video activities (split the resources in both cases, so in the worst case there is only degradation). This means you can move the servers doing work live from one host to another, while taking literally half of your storage down if needed, without anyone needing to do anything extra on their workstations.

You could even go full gung-ho and fully equip both parts of the redundant parts with all current resources to avoid any possible degradation during maintenance if needed.

But as I mentioned they already have something like this in place, so its probably something they don't want to dedicate time for (its basically redoing the entire infrastructure design, which would probably seem like a waste of time at this stage).

4 hours ago, iris7 said:

Is there was reason on why PeerSync(at least from what I could see from the video) was used instead of using something like DFS(distributed file system) which is built into Windows Server for file replication?  

Ease of use and availability/support at the time I was setting this up. 

*pretty* happy with it. 

Only a little bit of virtualization going on. Our domain server (only partially deployed because frankly we didn't really benefit that much for how long it was taking to troubleshoot) but the heaviest use is stuff I didn't want to talk about for security reasons.