Don't you just love the non-tech YTs/streamers?

komar

Don't you love people that have zero knowledge, yet posses powerful systems, just say "lately my computer was causing me problems SO I'll just buy a new one" ?

Zero trouble shooting, zero effort to fix it- just replace system for 1-2-3k with a new one.......

Topic inspired after new upload from minecraft player and big glass full of home made whine.

1 minute ago, komar said:

Don't you love people that have zero knowledge, yet posses powerful systems, just say "lately my computer was causing me problems SO I'll just buy a new one" ?

Zero trouble shooting, zero effort to fix it- just replace system for 1-2-3k with a new one.......

Topic inspired after new upload from minecraft player and big glass full of home made whine.

If you have the money but not the sh*t

The only ones that do that are just trying to show off how much money they have(or have on credit, who knows) any "normal" non-tech youtuber would attempt to repair it first.

But at the same time, if it's someone who makes daily uploads or streams daily or whatever, and has to keep that schedule for their income, it might not be an option to go a couple days without a PC, so they will buy a new one straight away then just sell/re-use the old one once fixed.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I know more people who are PC gamers who don't know how to fix their computers than those that do.

I mean, should it be a prerequisite to become a certified mechanic to buy a 7 figure car?

In answer to that I'll ask do you need college degree in some IT aspect  when 8 years old can reinstall the OS, which I bet is at least 5 out of 10 times the fix to their "problems"?

Not everyone is knowledgeable about computers.

On top of that, trouble shooting costs time, especially for someone who does not know what he or she is doing. If that person needs his PC for his daily income, than it might be worth it to spare himself the trouble and simply buy a new computer.

4 minutes ago, komar said:

In answer to that I'll ask do you need college degree in some IT aspect  when 8 years old can reinstall the OS, which I bet is at least 5 out of 10 times the fix to their "problems"?

An 8 year old who was more than likely brought up on technology so has a knowledge of it.

Not everyone can work on a computer in that sense, infact the majority of people who use computers know only how to use them(one reason they're only called consumers, they consume, that's it) troubleshooting is like a different language to them.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

8 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

But at the same time, if it's someone who makes daily uploads or streams daily or whatever, and has to keep that schedule for their income, it might not be an option to go a couple days without a PC, so they will buy a new one straight away then just sell/re-use the old one once fixed.

Exactly. They need to think about time and money. The thought process might be "I can spend $1500 of my time fixing this computer, or I can spend $2000 on a new one and improve my working speed at the same time, PLUS having minimal downtime." It's just logical.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

An 8 year old who was more than likely brought up on technology so has a knowledge of it.

Why? There is ton of info about that, that even complete moron (or child) will understand and follow easily.

Looks like it\s only me thinking it but when ur prime income relies solely on the technology, you gotta know how to (attempt) to fix it at least

6 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Exactly. They need to think about time and money. The thought process might be "I can spend $1500 of my time fixing this computer, or I can spend $2000 on a new one and improve my working speed at the same time, PLUS having minimal downtime." It's just logical.

Okay let's think logically.

Machine, maximum at 1-1.5 years old, even used for daily gaming/editing doesn't start giving hardware problems just like that.

Whats the chance of software failure? High in my opinion.

How much he will save if he has the basic knowledge of reinstalling OS and programs? - In your logic 2000 and maximum 2-3 hours with today's read/write speeds.

Well some people think restarting the pc is turning the monitor of and on.

And that the monitor is the pc and it does all the work.

I mean, you have some absolutely massive idiots out there when it comes down to IT.

I worked in a hospital and met doctors on a daily basis. Most of them were smart enough to fix me up if i would be in a car crash, but probably none of them know by heart how to reinstall windows. Yes i could learn them how to install windows in an hour or whatever but they wouldn't care. Same thing if they learn me how to do an operation or anything. Even if i could learn it in an hour, i wouldn't.

Everyone has his speciality and some people prefer the more expensive but quicker option compared to a cheaper but more time consuming one.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well some people think restarting the pc is turning the monitor of and on.

And that the monitor is the pc and it does all the work.

I mean, you have some absolutely massive idiots out there when it comes down to IT.

I worked in a hospital and met doctors on a daily basis. Most of them were smart enough to fix me up if i would be in a car crash, but probably none of them know by heart how to reinstall windows. Yes i could learn them how to install windows in an hour or whatever but they wouldn't care. Same thing if they learn me how to do an operation or anything. Even if i could learn it in an hour, i wouldn't.

Everyone has his speciality and some people prefer the more expensive but quicker option compared to a cheaper but more time consuming one.

I agree with this, but:

Don't you think that when you rely on this, you should know at least something bout it? no matter how limited it is?

Ofc, when you make enough you just don't give a f*ck, but what if this breaks every couple of months? - soo much money down the drain for BS.

This is why I know what I know about tech today - mom blindly trusted some charismatic seller and bought the laptop I'm using now for insane amount of money thinking its "gaming" one - it's complete garbage. No matter that we have enough money to afford it, I just said "enough, noone will trick us again" and since then I haven't made bad choice.

What did that cost me? - few mins of daily watching channels like LMG.....

14 minutes ago, komar said:

Okay let's think logically.

Machine, maximum at 1-1.5 years old, even used for daily gaming/editing doesn't start giving hardware problems just like that.

Whats the chance of software failure? High in my opinion.

How much he will save if he has the basic knowledge of reinstalling OS and programs? - In your logic 2000 and maximum 2-3 hours with today's read/write speeds.

Yeah but what if it's not? In that position, you would be risking another crash if you just reinstalled OS, and you'd still be losing time. It could be a deeper problem and it's probably worth it to just buy a new computer and not risk anything. If you're a big YouTuber or Twitch streamer, one or two days of lost revenue is potentially a lot of money.

I used to be quite active here.

I just ignore that stuff you know

me when a friend starts talking about mainstream youtube guys or gamers

ogdTSvo.gif

never bothered to watch some stream or video about games, I simply prefer to play the game myself and enjoy it, I don't see the point in watching someone else playing tbh

and there's always those guys that say "can you fix my pc?" and don't actually want to pay, so I just say: no, call someone else who can do it for free.

of course those are the same guys that spend like $60 in that netflix thing or $100 in cable tv just to watch the news, yeah they have the money for that but don't want to pay to have their pc repaired lol

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Yeah but what if it's not? In that position, you would be risking another crash if you just reinstalled OS, and you'd still be losing time. It could be a deeper problem and it's probably worth it to just buy a new computer and not risk anything. If you're a big YouTuber or Twitch streamer, one or two days of lost revenue is potentially a lot of money.

I'm looking it from my point of view - that this ain't that hard like many say it is and that due to my economic education I'll hate myself if I found that I could fix X problem for free other than spending load of money. 

7 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

I could spend 100 - 300 man hours building a car from components or I could buy one new or second hand with a warranty or at my own risk. I don't have to be a mechanic, don't have the time so I take it to someone who knows and if it's really bad I get another. I don't get the satisfaction of building it myself and I don't know how it work if it breaks, but it's a tool and if it does what I want then its serving the reason why I have it.

Logic that applies to all items.

If I'm a video editor, do I need to be a computer technician?

I aint a mechanic but I can fix 90% of the sh*t that brakes on my 25 year old golf (that car is older than me) and still use it as way more reliable daily driver than newer car (or maybe because I don't need check engine light to know when it needs repairs idk).

Basic knowledge of what is where and how ti works and in that case what sounds it should/n't make.

52 minutes ago, komar said:

Why? There is ton of info about that, that even complete moron (or child) will understand and follow easily.

Looks like it\s only me thinking it but when ur prime income relies solely on the technology, you gotta know how to (attempt) to fix it at least

Because, people are lazy and will pay for convenience.

Also, spend some time on help desk in the IT field.  You will probably come to the conclusion that the average person has not a darn clue how a computer works or electronics in general.

29 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Believe it or not a lot people don't care how their PC works as long as it does what they need it too. Overcharged? Well, that's the price for convenience. How much time spent looking for components and then building it and troubleshooting if it does not work when another part of life is more important.

Yep, as my teacher back in military tech school said, "the majority just see a black box and don't give squat what is inside.  They just want it to work."

The vid the teacher showed us:  kind of fits.  Hint: this a bit of why I rock cat avatars.

Spoiler

I kid not at this at all.  I have gotten the darnest of questions from officers with full blown Master degrees ask me the most wtf questions on tech.  Best one, a lieutenant colonel asking me why there where numbers on the end of his outlook email and if I could change it.  ........I ain't kidding.  Along with a few others that I am like.....seriously, where do they come up with these questions.

Most annoying thing to do is trying to explain why the video feed on an AC-130W drops to a commanding officer when that blasted gun cannon in the back fires.   ....what you expect when they put the darn blasted sensor in the top right above it!  Poor sat gets jarred like no tomorrow when that fires off.  I am of the opinion they expect us to do voodoo magic to fix stuff.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

If they make 3k in a week, it's more profitable for them to just toss it and not miss out on any stream time than to spend days trying to troubleshoot it, plus they'd get no warranty on the repair.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

59 minutes ago, komar said:

I don't really see how this is an argument against my comment, if it was meant to be one.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If they make 3k in a week, it's more profitable for them to just toss it and not miss out on any stream time than to spend days trying to troubleshoot it, plus they'd get no warranty on the repair.

Just something to add, maybe OP will read this. I recall one of those old internet "facts" or something where if Bill Gates dropped a $100 bill, it'd actually be more of a waste of money to pick it up than leave it alone.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Just something to add, maybe OP will read this. I recall one of those old internet "facts" or something where if Bill Gates dropped a $100 bill, it'd actually be more of a waste of money to pick it up than leave it alone.

Well... that's probably an exaggeration (or rather misinterpretation of statistics) because Bill's income stream doesn't directly depend on him doing something at any given moment, but the situation would be similar. It's also perfectly possible that mr.Gates wouldn't care about 100$ enough to make the effort of picking it up.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well... that's probably an exaggeration (or rather misinterpretation of statistics) because Bill's income stream doesn't directly depend on him doing something at any given moment, but the situation would be similar. It's also perfectly possible that mr.Gates wouldn't care about 100$ enough to make the effort of picking it up.

It was like 15 years ago when I heard that. :P

But yeah, it was meant to illustrate a point that value is relative.

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It was like 15 years ago when I heard that. :P

But yeah, it was meant to illustrate a point that value is relative.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson does that bit. He talks about what kind of money he would stop and pick up. For him, it would be a quarter. 

He then compares his income (without actually saying what it is lol) thas Bill Gates, and the “equivalent” to a quarter for bill gates would be something like $45,000. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean, should it be a prerequisite to become a certified mechanic to buy a 7 figure car?

I wish to get a license they required basic mechanic tests.

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

I wish to get a license they required basic mechanic tests.

No thanks. 

My time is valuable, and I have no interest in becoming a mechanic. 

I can change lightbulbs, wipers,

top up washer fluid, and could do a tire in a pinch. 

That’s enough for me. 

I take my car to an expert for anything else. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/9/2018 at 2:11 PM, dalekphalm said:

No thanks. 

My time is valuable, and I have no interest in becoming a mechanic. 

I can change lightbulbs, wipers,

top up washer fluid, and could do a tire in a pinch. 

That’s enough for me. 

I take my car to an expert for anything else. 

Stuff like oil/fluid and filter changing etc you don't really need a mechanic. I'd only really go if I needed to replace a part and I didn't have the tools or experience. The trouble is for some people who like to do stuff themselves (mostly teenagers trying to hook up a new radio or trying to make more power out of their car) just don't understand how to do it well or right and end up taking it in and spending more than they would have if they took it in the first place - or even worse just ruining the car. 

Basically my advice for anyone is this; if you know how to do a basic service then you can save yourself a lot of money. If you don't know how to do anything then consult a local professional to explain or get them to do it. So many times people try and follow YouTube videos - not a good alternative (People especially mess up car audio installs)