JAPAN

Spix737

Heyyo! So I luckily managed to get myself on a school trip to Tokyo in Japan. We'll be going in a few months, it's gonna be dope.

I was wondering if there's any stores in Japan which sell PC parts and general tech for kinda Cheap. Sorta like a microcenter, but who's prices are better and is in Japan (Close to Tokyo)

plz lemme know if there are any cool stores, thanks!

Probably more expensive in japan because of imports. If you want cheap shit go to China

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Nice trip man! That sounds pretty cool if you ask me.

Don't know of any, good luck man!

all kinds, but WHERE in Japan are you going?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Akihabara has shops with cheap electronics but its not pc stuff

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Will you get much free time there? Tokyo area is pretty big already. It's been a long time since I was there so can't give advice on the specific question of PC parts, but Akihabara is interesting to explore. I was last there before maid cafes were a thing though... spent too much on anime and music related merchandise though, along with a Laserdisc player and speakers (if that doesn't age me...)

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I only visited Yodobashi. And most of PC parts were only tad cheaper than at home. Not worth of warranty hassle or committing tax/import fraud. The other electronics (phones, tablets, audio gear etc.) which were import brands (Sennheiser, Apple) were more expensive than Japanese cameras and stuff like that. But still considerably cheaper than what they would have cost in here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, Spix737 said:

Heyyo! So I luckily managed to get myself on a school trip to Tokyo in Japan. We'll be going in a few months, it's gonna be dope.

I was wondering if there's any stores in Japan which sell PC parts and general tech for kinda Cheap. Sorta like a microcenter, but who's prices are better and is in Japan (Close to Tokyo)

What is your allowed limit going back home?

9 hours ago, Spix737 said:

If you're in Tokyo, Akihibara is pretty much going to be your stop for all things geeky.

The thing with Japan is that there's no large retailer for hardware. I only know of one store where I lived that sells computer hardware like say Microcenter or Fry's. And while I think it's a chain, I don't think it has stores littered around.

Only stuff that's cheaper in Japan is Japanese made stuff, otherwise it's a lot more expensive than the U.S.. If you would pick me up some cheap Fostex or Audiotechnica stuff while you are there though I would greatly appreciate it.

Not really a good place for that. I'd instead look for unique gaming stuff and older region locked games in used stores if you're into that sorta thing. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@Spix737There are some stores in Akihabara like SoftMap, Tsukumo etc. but price wise it is not that cheap. There are some nice laptop deals on Japanese brands, but that's it. Japan is not a country with huge stores in general. Eg. just in Akihabara there are several stores of the same retailer in 300m radius. Also, it is common to get a better deal at some small store than in a bigger store chain. 

Good thing is that you can make tax free purchase directly at the store by showing them your passport.

As others have said, Akihabara is the place to go in Tokyo, but like they also said, don't expect it to be cheap or anything. Still an awesome place to visit, was there 10 years ago last week and really want to go back at some point soon. I assume the Sony building is still there, and that had some cool stuff to go and see at the time, and was free entry.

I live in Japan, and generally PC parts are not cheaper here.  Compared to USA there is about a 15~20% markup in prices for CPUs, motherboards, video cards etc.

That said, if you wanted a physical store to go and see parts, I usually go to a place called TSUKUMO which is in Akihabara.  Otherwise amazon Japan.  

The only other computer related unique to Japan thing is custom stuff, like anime case painting, or I know this one shop who focuses on making systems with custom cases to match a decor of furniture, but it isn't like high end parts or anything..

Another vote for Akihabara and Yodabashi.  I'll also say it's not a good place to buy, but it is interesting to see.  You'll likely see things there that you won't see elsewhere, at least not yet.

From what I've heard, you can find some things like camera gear for fairly cheap in Japan, and also some old second hand retro games from Nintendo among others.

Don't expect to buy a cheap computer though.

HARD OFF

No seriously it's a store. https://www.hardoff.co.jp/en/. They sell second hand stuff. And since Japanese people don't exactly valued something that's been preowned, prices are very good for what you find. There's one in Akihabara. Can't guarantee you'll find like the latest PC parts (if any), but it's a cool place to browse. You'll never know what you'll find. I found like iPhone 4s s for the equivalent of 20 USD. Not a bad price. You can imagine what an iPhone 6s would sell for there. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 hours ago, LAwLz said:

From what I've heard, you can find some things like camera gear for fairly cheap in Japan, and also some old second hand retro games from Nintendo among others.

Don't expect to buy a cheap computer though.

I've heard that its worth of dumbsterdive when Sony or Nintendo releases some new console. Teens throw old stuff away.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I Have lived in Japan for 10 years and I can tell you first hand don't buy anything computer related here unless you want to pay double. Everything is expensive here even japanese made products lol

Akihabara, as others have said. 

It's mostly known for it being a centerpiece of otaku culture, but it's also home to quite a number of electronics stores. 

You probably won't find anything cheap, but maybe you might something of interest. Might get some stuff for my Sony a6000 there. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 5/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, Spix737 said:

Keep in mind you should look into the Import rules for buying something in Japan and bringing it back into the US. You'll need to declare the item at Customs when you come home, and probably pay tax on it.

You're not likely to find typical electronics any cheaper in Japan than in the US, so unless you're looking for unique trinkets, etc, that you wouldn't otherwise be able to find in the US? I probably wouldn't buy anything of the like there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)