Faster Internet for FREE in 30 seconds - No... Seriously

If you are only concerned with speed, chances are, your ISP's DNS servers will be faster. GRC's DNS benchmark tool is very useful to help determine which server is the fastest for your particular Internet connection; everyone's connection will be different. You can add your ISP's DNS IP addresses if they are not listed.

Also, unless you're on a fast fiber connection, your latency is probably much higher than the numbers shown in the video. In UT, there is fiber just about everywhere with great speed and latency. Back home at my parent's house, they are on a DSL connection and their ISP's DNS servers typically respond within ~27-29ms. and anything out on the Internet has a minimum ping of about 34ms. The best thing in their case, was to set up a DNS caching server on the local LAN. That improved speeds immensely when I set it up years ago. (This was in the days before most home routers had DNS caching as a feature.) If you are on a higher-latency connection, the best thing for you to do is configure your local DNS server to point to the fastest server for your connection and point all your devices (by default they probably already are) on your network to your local DNS server. Pointing all of your devices to a DNS server out on the Internet on a high-latency connection will actually be slower most of the time.

seems nice, but i think i'd rather stick with 9.9.9.9 instead. since it also provides automatic blocking for known  malware sites.

since cloudflares big thing here is just caching, maybe you should do a video on setting up a squid proxy which will cache sites that you go to

3 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Let's say I set up this 1.1.1.1 in Windows, will it override the router configured DNS addresses? I don't think so since the router is hardware and windows is software but it's worth asking

it will always use what is set in windows first.  the default setting in windows is to check and see what the router wants to use, if you change that, itll use the on on the device before the router.

2 hours ago, trogdor0 said:

If you are only concerned with speed, chances are, your ISP's DNS servers will be faster. GRC's DNS benchmark tool is very useful to help determine which server is the fastest for your particular Internet connection; everyone's connection will be different.

in my experience, the ISPs is always slower and less consistent, but definitely run the benchmark to see best results

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I was going to try changing my router settings for a week or two see if it improved anything. However I have a VirginMedia Superhub2 and can't actually change DNS. 

Will probably just try it on a single machine and see what happens

For those asking how they make money, they already have the infrastructure so this can't be costing them all that much and it's great for PR.

So I've just watched this video and am left very confused. In what way does this increase security/privacy? Sending DNS requests to a different server doesn't magically encrypt them, so your ISP (who still routes all your traffic) can simply read those and get all the info. I'd even argue that using proposed method actually reduces privacy since instead of only your ISP, every single node between you and the DNS server can read your requests. The way I understand it, a VPN is the only way to hide your internet usage. Even if your DNS request was encrypted (there are tools for that) your ISP (and all other nodes between you and your target website) can simply reverse resolve the requested IP address to track your traffic. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see the added security here.

cheers

I may or may not try it.

However at 3:30 in the video it seems Linus forgot where the enter key is on the keyboard xD He was closer to Escape.

Quad9 DNS is where it's at

Also yes, this is still click-bait. it doesn't make your interest faster. the title is misleading as hell. when people talk about internet speed, they are talking about actual line speed, not how fast websites resolve (which will be negligible at best)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

In the video around 1:48, he mentions that Cloudflare has the instructions on their site which would be listed below. I don't see that listed anywhere in the description other than:

Sign up for Private Internet Access VPN at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com...

It’s not clickbait- this actually is a quick, easy, and free method to make your internet faster- no matter if you’re on a Mac or PC, phone or desktop! Just change your DNS to Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1

Buy Internet on Amazon: http://geni.us/mVjun

Discuss on the forum: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/...

Did they forget?

either i'm doing this wrong or this does not work for me to be honest i feel cheated i followed cloudflare's guide and the the "guide here" and to be honest it did not work for me

1 hour ago, MC10 said:

In the video around 1:48, he mentions that Cloudflare has the instructions on their site which would be listed below. I don't see that listed anywhere in the description other than:

Did they forget?

Technically they gave you the url to the instructions... https://1.1.1.1/

Their main site also directs to it.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

4 hours ago, Tsuki said:

in my experience, the ISPs is always slower and less consistent, but definitely run the benchmark to see best results

Theoretically though, that shouldn't be the case. Your traffic has to go through your ISP's network, so you would think it should be faster to talk to DNS servers on your ISP's network vs. ones that aren't. But yes, there absolutely are ISPs running ancient hardware/software setups. There's even recent hardware/software setups that they haven't done a good job optimizing settings. But wouldn't it be nice if theory matched reality...

5 hours ago, Tsuki said:

do a video on setting up a squid proxy which will cache sites that you go to

The thing is...there's much less traffic going over HTTP nowadays than there was say...5-10 years ago (e.g. before Snowden). So much of the web has gone to HTTPS only. I mean...it's good that it's a bit more secure/private, but it makes it so it's not cacheable. Beyond Steam game downloads and Windows Update downloads, there's not a whole lot of benefit for most general users. 

You say security is priority number one and then fail to show how people can take advantage of the encrypted DNS protocols you mentioned. What a poser!

14 hours ago, James said:

Buy Internet on Amazon: http://geni.us/mVjun

It’s not clickbait- this actually is a quick, easy, and free method to make your internet faster- no matter if you’re on a Mac or PC, phone, or desktop! Just change your DNS to Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1

Was wondering if getting VPN Router rather than the VPN service 

Linus said while changing the DNS in windows that the secondary DNS ip is the backup address. But is it?

From some other forums I read that windows more use it like load balancing. In my case my own dns server on DNS1 is always questioned for my local domains so I dont know if it initially ask it to DNS1 or that in some cases it can not find it on DNS2 so it will question DNS1.

A little research and a video from LTT should clear up a lot I think. Whenever it happens please also research how different platforms treat the DNS servers.

To all those who use the latest devices and possibly don't forget to update the IPv6 DNS servers as well.

IPv6 DNS Servers

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001

After updating from Goggle's Public DNS Servers the Ping to my local ISP in Chennai, India reduced from anywhere between 35 to 40 ms to 15 ms. Not bad for a few numbers.

8 hours ago, Granular said:

You say security is priority number one and then fail to show how people can take advantage of the encrypted DNS protocols you mentioned. What a poser!

Most people are just going to type in the wrong stuff and brick their routers or devices. They technically could but there are a lot of variables.

15 hours ago, CheaterCodes said:

So I've just watched this video and am left very confused. In what way does this increase security/privacy? Sending DNS requests to a different server doesn't magically encrypt them, so your ISP (who still routes all your traffic) can simply read those and get all the info. I'd even argue that using proposed method actually reduces privacy since instead of only your ISP, every single node between you and the DNS server can read your requests. The way I understand it, a VPN is the only way to hide your internet usage. Even if your DNS request was encrypted (there are tools for that) your ISP (and all other nodes between you and your target website) can simply reverse resolve the requested IP address to track your traffic. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see the added security here.

cheers

You're mostly right, such security will only be there if you'd use a VPN along with it, but most VPN's will require/recommend that you use their DNS along with it...

20 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Let's say I set up this 1.1.1.1 in Windows, will it override the router configured DNS addresses? I don't think so since the router is hardware and windows is software but it's worth asking

If you configure it locally on windows, it will override the router's configuration that it distributes.

The router responds to the client's DHCP requests for an IP configuration. The client does NOT have to take that whole, it can choose to ignore 1 or more parts of that configuration. (mostly because windows doesn't need it, but for example a BIOS network boot need different information for knowing where to get boot images etc)

================

Aside from that, the load times is only influenced if a website has a lot of different domains to load, and only minimally. For once the IP is know, it has NO influence on downloading resources (script, images, whatever the browser or service you use needs).

Its nice and all that the IP is known to the client (read browser or other application) knows a tiny bit earlier the IP, but then the work just starts, and the browser then has to start requesting the webpage, which consists of dozens of files (JavaScript, images, CSS, videos and whatnot). Those ALL depend on the server(s) hosting those on download speed, and only at a certain point the browser will start rendering the website for having enough data to do so.

Along with that. a DNS cannot know what page you are visiting on a website. It knows you looked up "failbook.com", but that's it. it doesn't know if that was requested because there was a "like" button on a random site that was looked up, or that you visited failbook. With some careful trend analysis they might be able to find out what someone visited.

To me, a DNS change has various reasons to consider vs whatever is default at that point:

- Is the current DNS being attacked often by DDoS attacks?

- Is the current and/or proposed DNS stable/responsive within reasonable times (under 0.05 sec or some) ?

- Is the proposed DNS less or more censorized?  (ISP's in-country DNS vs for example Google's DNS)

- Is the proposed DNS providing more features? (secure encrypted dns requests, privacy, options to select or choose, manual adjustments, etc)

Speed of DNS is only secondary, the domain is already been looked up before you lift your "Enter" key anyhow.

Cox is still faster DNS than Cloudflare, 7mS vs 10mS.  Cox is faster than everyone else in my city, and I wouldn't be surprised if most people's ISP DNS is faster than third parties.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

18 hours ago, Tsuki said:

seems nice, but i think i'd rather stick with 9.9.9.9 instead. since it also provides automatic blocking for known  malware sites.

since cloudflares big thing here is just caching, maybe you should do a video on setting up a squid proxy which will cache sites that you go to

If you want to go balls deep on DNS malware/shit blocking, install VirtualBox with an Ubuntu VM and run PiHole.  Point router DNS settings to your PiHole VM, set PiHole to use whatever DNS service you want.  PiHole is like ABP or uBlock for DNS queries and will then filter traffic for all devices on your network.  You can also just buy and use a Raspberry Pi, but I already had a VM server running anyways so VM is easier for me.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Most people are just going to type in the wrong stuff and brick their routers or devices.

That's a bleak view of people.

So pixel 2xl will not let me save the changes....anyone else have issues?

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

If you want to go balls deep on DNS malware/shit blocking, install VirtualBox with an Ubuntu VM and run PiHole.  Point router DNS settings to your PiHole VM, set PiHole to use whatever DNS service you want.  PiHole is like ABP or uBlock for DNS queries and will then filter traffic for all devices on your network.  You can also just buy and use a Raspberry Pi, but I already had a VM server running anyways so VM is easier for me.

i actually already have a pi running pihole :) its using 9.9.9.9 as its dns lol 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

15 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

i actually already have a pi running pihole :) its using 9.9.9.9 as its dns lol 

Nice!  If you're using pihole you don't need to use another layer of dns-blocking, you can just add EasyList and other lists that ABP uses for malware and have pihole point to 1.1.1.1 or your local ISP to be faster.

These are all my extra blocklists:

https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt     
   https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy+easylist.txt     
   https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/antiadblockfilters.txt     
   https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/adwarefilters.txt     
   https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-annoyance.txt     
   https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt