AMD Combat Crates

NumLock21
2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

How does this make DOA any less likely? Do they do quality control at the individual level and then again for the pack level? I would guess they just do quality control at the part level and if they pass they put them in the package deal. 

Because for a given purchaser package mishandling is less likely since there's not as many packages. 

Why did they make this though? Shouldn't it be slightly cheaper to buy those three components individually? Actually, now that I mention it...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/drtt8Y

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($327.67 @ Amazon) 
Total: $567.56

I made this list using parts from just Amazon or Newegg and it still came out $31.34 cheaper. Axe the MIR on the mobo from Newegg and it's $11.34 cheaper to buy the parts individually.

I guess having everything come in one package is nice though, so not much to complain about on the price side. I guess I've come to expect bundles to include some discount for buying all the components from one supplier in one package so I'm a little disappointed that's not the case here. Either way, at the end of the day it's not a bad price right now.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Because for a given purchaser package mishandling is less likely since there's not as many packages. 

That has more to do with package design than it does anything else. Plus by that logic if one if them is mishandled in the package deal then all of them are mishandled and the likelihood of one if them being DOA is high because it's like all 3 being mishandled. Bottom line is that it would be dumb to be trying to justify buying this based on it being doa. If you are that worried about DOA then just go to a physical store that way you can simply return it if it doesn't work.

MSI and Ryzen are a shit mix to begin with so no thanks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah, I remember how their last attempt at bundles went with the Vega launch: don't bother.

Right now Vega seems to be a lot worse than Polaris though, in terms of undersupply and overpricing... Prices/availability of rx 580 are still above MSRP but have improved. Gamers are buying them.

With Vega from launch day onwards AMD has completely failed to get them into the hands of gamers.

depending on the cryptocurrency value, if it's a too good to be true miners will by it and sell the cpu and mobo. If prices come down it doesn't seem to great a deal. Gamers have a loose loose situation here.

3 hours ago, asus killer said:

depending on the cryptocurrency value, if it's a too good to be true miners will by it and sell the cpu and mobo. If prices come down it doesn't seem to great a deal. Gamers have a loose loose situation here.

A bit unrelated but If Nvidia and AMD really want to make sure they get some proper GPU allocation out to gamers they should tie up with EA-Origin or Valve-steam or uplay-ubisoft or Blizzard-battlenet.

If you have an active account with at least x hours gameplay you get a special discount code for major online retailers redeemable for a maximum of one GPU purchase per year.

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

Right now Vega seems to be a lot worse than Polaris though, in terms of undersupply and overpricing... Prices/availability of rx 580 are still above MSRP but have improved. Gamers are buying them.

With Vega from launch day onwards AMD has completely failed to get them into the hands of gamers.

Not completely, I have a VEGA 64 and I'm a gamer!  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

A bit unrelated but If Nvidia and AMD really want to make sure they get some proper GPU allocation out to gamers they should tie up with EA-Origin or Valve-steam or uplay-ubisoft or Blizzard-battlenet.

If you have an active account with at least x hours gameplay you get a special discount code for major online retailers redeemable for a maximum of one GPU purchase per year.

I was thinking abut that last night, They should partner with steam, and create a special code, where you get 150USD in your steam wallet, but they only work if the card the code came with is installed in the system. and they charge you like 140 or 135 more than MSRP. Now that would entice many PC gamers. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Why would they bundle 1xxx series ryzen chips when the new ones just launched?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I mean cool though. They're getting rid of 1. gen stock so makes sense to make like a bundle like so. 

I do wonder now, how come AMD doesn't have 'Combat Crates' in general, at least for a limited time and bundle each new gen of products. Could work really well. Cause they do produce both CPU and GPU so. They could bundle them by appropriate tiers along with RAM and mobo. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

33 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Why would they bundle 1xxx series ryzen chips when the new ones just launched?

Maybe they still have to clear out a bit of 1st gen stock which they do not want to get stuck. Now that the 2nd gen is out and well priced people don't want to buy 1st gen.

11 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Maybe they still have to clear out a bit of 1st gen stock which they do not want to get stuck. Now that the 2nd gen is out and well priced people don't want to buy 1st gen.

AMD should just stick em all on eBay for 10-15% lower than the new parts! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

35 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

AMD should just stick em all on eBay for 10-15% lower than the new parts! 

Or give out a offer during the bad gou pricing and still get some margins while getting free marketing, marketshare and get rid of the older cpus

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Or give out a offer during the bad gou pricing and still get some margins while getting free marketing, marketshare and get rid of the older cpus

hmm.... Buy a 900USD Vega 64 and get a free ryzen 1000 series?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

That has more to do with package design than it does anything else. Plus by that logic if one if them is mishandled in the package deal then all of them are mishandled and the likelihood of one if them being DOA is high because it's like all 3 being mishandled. Bottom line is that it would be dumb to be trying to justify buying this based on it being doa. If you are that worried about DOA then just go to a physical store that way you can simply return it if it doesn't work.

The number of packages does not make a difference in the number of failures.

If the package has a 1/10 chance of being mishandled to the extend the object inside is DOA and you take 3 trips you have a 3/10 chance of having 1 broken item while if you take 1 trip with 3 items you have a 1/10 chance of the entire package being dead resulting in a 3/10 chance that an item is killed for a large number of items sent.

Empirical evidence:

image.png.9ec7cf9065e1a99cdfeccba986f4c3b3.png

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

hmm.... Buy a 900USD Vega 64 and get a free ryzen 1000 series?

Not a bad deal if it is a threadripper....... Its not like i can get a Vega 64 for 900$ anyway......

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Not a bad deal if it is a threadripper....... Its not like i can get a Vega 64 for 900$ anyway......

well it wouldn't be a TR would it.... I got my Vega 64 for around £400 at the time 1080s were like 450+ so I'm happy with my purchase. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

well it wouldn't be a TR would it.... I got my Vega 64 for around £400 at the time 1080s were like 450+ so I'm happy with my purchase. 

I did a misstake and didnt buy the vega 64 when i could. Though its not like i needed a upgrade anyway. 

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

this makes a lot of sense. Too bad they can't read this.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

I did a misstake and didnt buy the vega 64 when i could. Though its not like i needed a upgrade anyway. 

How much do they go for where you're at? and I went from a 980ti to a Vega 64. So a big enough upgrade. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

How much do they go for where you're at? and I went from a 980ti to a Vega 64. So a big enough upgrade. 

They go for 1000$ or roughly 850£. They go for used slightly less. Maybe around 600£ per in a mining bundle. Though you generaly cant find them

Just now, GoldenLag said:

They go for 1000$ or roughly 850£. They go for used slightly less. Maybe around 600£ per in a mining bundle. Though you generaly cant find them

Damn.... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Damn.... 

We have the cheapest electricity (more or less) in Europe and mining is rather profitable here. Roi time is pretty good here due to low electrical costs. The only issue is the unit costs. Also vega 56 is more or less the exact same price. A tiny tiny bit less