AMD's official "eff you GPP" response: A Gamer's Choice

captain cactus

Arez is a ridiculous brand name that seems so rushed out.

Coming from the the Greek god Ares, but with a Z. Why? o.O

They could have thought of something decent at least.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Eibe said:

Some points for dem stylez.

4 minutes ago, Eibe said:

My guess Ares was probably already trademarked somewhere.

7 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So rather than locking in partners with non-industry standard crap and limiting customer choice AMD's all like "hey, we open sourced this stuff, enjoy it". And now they're doing the same with GPU branding, kinda like GPP, but without forcing manufacturers to join in or face the lack of supplies and marketing and whatnot. It's the official and kind "fuck off GPP" response from AMD.

Or they could, you know, release a high-end card that challenges 1080 performance without sounding like a vacuum, heating like a toaster and needing enough power to keep the lights on in Cleveland for a week.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

My guess Ares was probably already trademarked somewhere.

There is no Ares brand in computer parts brands, so it was open.

It most probably was a marketing choice.

Just now, JediFragger said:

Thats what.. 10 years ago? That name still may not be available at this moment.

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

That's not how trademark law works. There was a HUGE difference between World Wrestling Federation and World Wildlife Fund, guess what. the latter WWF forced a name change on wrestling gig. 

19 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

There is this, though:

Spoiler

vanity.jpg

Yes, I think it does not only matter whether you have the legal right to use it, but also whether you prefer to avoid the coincidence, or throw in an arbitrary X because it makes it sound whatever.

I mean, Ryzen...

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

There is this, though:

Reveal hidden contents

884619_0__8514248.jpg?1424277204

Yes, I think it does not only matter whether you have the legal right to use it, but also whether you prefer to avoid the coincidence, or throw in an arbitrary X because it makes it sound whatever.

I mean, Ryzen...

20-232-482-V01.jpg

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

The why is pretty obvious. It seems they are saying they are forced out of regular brands, and therefore they announce publicly that they launch new brands. And this message is basically the image they want to associate their brands with.

It does seem that RTG plays the shame Nvidia on GPP card to try to steer the mindshare away from Nvidia based on ethics.

That's what I thought it might be but it makes no sense.  Everyone knows they were forced out of their regular brands by GPP, why make this statement and try to play it off as "oh, yeah this was totally our idea".  It's like "nah, they didn't dump us, we dumped them" kind of thing.  Seems silly to me.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what this is about...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's like "nah, they didn't dump us, we dumped them" kind of thing.

o.o?  What video did you watch to draw that conclusion?

It was very much a 'we've no choice and this is what we're left with' sort of thing.  They also tipped their hat to Dell and HP, cause they probably sincerely appreciate it.

Just now, MoonSpot said:

o.o?  What video did you watch to draw that conclusion?

It was very much a 'we've no choice and this is what we're left with' sort of thing.  They also tipped their hat to Dell and HP, cause they probably sincerely appreciate it.

As I said, everyone (well, most people I think) are aware of the recent rebrands under GPP - they see what's happened and totally understand the position AMD is in.  They don't need to explain themselves or ask for attention or anything.  But they have, and my impression of how they've done that is not a "this is what happened to us", but almost like a cover up, like "yes, we've chosen to rebrand, this was all our idea" as if people will actually believe that.  Again, that's just my impression, and it's very strange.  I don't like it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's what I thought it might be but it makes no sense.  Everyone knows they were forced out of their regular brands by GPP, why make this statement and try to play it off as "oh, yeah this was totally our idea".  It's like "nah, they didn't dump us, we dumped them" kind of thing.  Seems silly to me.  Or maybe I'm not understanding what this is about...

Got a chuckle out of that one, bad date lol.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

As I said, everyone (well, most people I think) are aware of the recent rebrands under GPP - they see what's happened and totally understand the position AMD is in.  They don't need to explain themselves or ask for attention or anything.  But they have, and my impression of how they've done that is not a "this is what happened to us", but almost like a cover up, like "yes, we've chosen to rebrand, this was all our idea" as if people will actually believe that.  Again, that's just my impression, and it's very strange.  I don't like it.

They purposely made it so it could be interpreted either way, clever marketing. Either way though they end up getting the positive light, whether it be sympathy or empowerment.

I could be incorrect but it was definitely made to be interpreted in different ways, as is obvious by different taking a different idea from it.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow!  I have more faith in your ability for artistic abstraction than that... especially since it's hardly required.  The video has the letter 'N' everywhere with a 'shame on you' spin.

Though, yes it is an advert to their AIBs new AMD brands as well.  Naturally they'd present the things that have their GPUs in them.  How bloody stupid would they have to be not to advertise themselves at all?

So what is the story with lenovo then?  They be "lé no go" now?

As I said in the other thread, this is just AMD trying to fight Nvidia with words instead of better products and services. I don't think AMD learnt from the last time that consumers don't care about words, hell they barely even care that vulcan or freesync was open source,  at the end of the day people still bought the faster card. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Eibe said:

Arez is a name that they have used in the past for a super high end graphics card from AMD. 

It was a sub brand to ROG like Strix but they only used it for a few Crossfire cards.  The fact that you didn't know this shows just how difficult AMD's position is.  Everybody knows Strix and ROG but Arez is new and consumers will not be as open to buying it.

1 Timothy 1:15

Oh does this mean people will be able to buy cards?

No?

Good talk

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

But AMD is going about this very wrong, instead of investing in actually making some competitive products they make some cheesy ad and toss some money into an F1 racing team.

LOL. You think AMD has cut R&D to do this? Last we heard they were only increasing R&D thanks to their new-found profits.

25 minutes ago, Humbug said:

LOL. You think AMD has cut R&D to do this? Last we heard they were only increasing R&D thanks to their new-found profits.

AMD must have plenty of R&D from the mining craze then, just saying i'd rather see that pile of cash go into some better marketing or actually make cards available.

2 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

So if AMD had a better product this would not be acceptable.. but because they don't it is? 

As mr moose said this just seems like more fighting instead of better products, it reminds me of the whole "Poor Volta" thing they had going which backfired in their face after Vega didn't deliver to the hype AMD claimed.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

AMD must have plenty of R&D from the mining craze then, just saying i'd rather see that pile of cash go into some better marketing or actually make cards available.

As mr moose said this just seems like more fighting instead of better products, it reminds me of the whole "Poor Volta" thing they had going which backfired in their face after Vega didn't deliver to the hype AMD claimed.

Exactly,  Nvidia invest millions into gsync, gameworks, building tool kits for developers, handing out GPU's and sponsoring all manor of development.  AMD did what? mantle/Vulcan and freesync plus a whole heap of words on a page or in an article/interview.  

I'm sorry, I do like AMD products, but lets not beat around the bush,  If AMD want to put the kibosh on Nvidia and things like GPP/gsync then they have to step up to the mark and provide consumers with better options and less words.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Phasing out board partnership with current motherboard makers would take away all the reputation and support those companies were providing, especially with what a mess Ryzen was at launch. You'd rather go from a board maker known for quality products to one that never made motherboards? But AMD is going about this very wrong, instead of investing in actually making some competitive products they make some cheesy ad and toss some money into an F1 racing team.

Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are trying to hurt AMD's bottom-line. Its a calculated decision by these companies to provide exclusive branding for Nvida. AMD has very few options here. Whether they have a competitive gpus or not. AMD cant sit idly by and not punish these companies. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.