Valve Removes Steam Machine Store Page

Earlier this month Valve removed the Steam store page for Steam Machines, prebuilt computers running SteamOS, a Linux distribution built for gaming.

In a move that's not exactly surprising, Valve has quietly removed the Steam Machine section from Steam. Previously on Steam, if you hovered over the Hardware category there was a Steam Machines link in the drop-down, which is now gone while the links to the Steam Controller, Steam Link and Vive remain. In fact, the entire Hardware page on Steam is now gone and anyone using the link (http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/) is redirected to a basic search page. Looking back on it and doing a bit of quick research, it seems the change came this month.

I'm not surprised they did this, since currently no one is announcing new machines and the whole Steam Machine idea from Valve never really gained any steam. While it didn't really do the big splash many were hoping, it has done quite a lot of good for Linux gaming overall. As a result of the initial push from Valve, many developers and game engines have moved into doing regular Linux support. This is important, because many of the barriers involved in getting games on Linux have been removed

This removal symbolizes the death of Steam Machines, which failed to ever really be relevant due to their lack of media attention, and the fact that many times they were underpowered.  Though steam machines are no more, they did gve a nice platform to market SteamOS, a product that Valve is continuing to develop today,  and will continue to support in the future. Over the last few years, Valve has been a large supporter of Linux gaming, to the point that AMD now has excellent open source drivers,  and companies like Aspyr Media and Feral interactive have begun porting AAA titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to Linux. It's because of their past dedication that I don't believe Valve has any intention on giving up on Linux gaming, especially with the direction Microsoft is going with Windows for the last several years.

4 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

Earlier this month

Not to seem rude or anything, but this month is just getting started.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

Earlier this month . 

So you mean today?

14 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

Earlier this month Valve removed the Steam store page for Steam Machines, prebuilt computers running SteamOS, a Linux distribution built for gaming.

This removal symbolizes the death of Steam Machines, which failed to ever really be relevant due to their lack of media attention, and the fact that many times they were underpowered.  Though steam machines are no more, they did gve a nice platform to market SteamOS, a product that Valve is continuing to develop today,  and will continue to support in the future. Over the last few years, Valve has been a large supporter of Linux gaming, to the point that AMD now has excellent open source drivers,  and companies like Aspyr Media and Feral interactive have begun porting AAA titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to Linux. It's because of their past dedication that I don't believe Valve has any intention on giving up on Linux gaming, especially with the direction Microsoft is going with Windows for the last several years.

Anyways, you could installed SteamOS yourself on whatever system you want so I'm not entirely surprised this whole product line flopped. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Only two companies made Steam Machines worth caring about: Alienware and Syber.

Both of which had hardware ready for the planned initial launch of SteamOS. When Valve delayed it, both of them sold the machines with Windows.

And when SteamOS was finally ready, the Steam Machine counterparts only cost $50 less, and the Windows versions were never taken off market.

But at no point was SteamOS ever good enough to make up for the then lack of game selection.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

If Microsoft continues to lock down Windows, AAA developers and users will start moving to Linux quicker.

No they wont.  People have been saying this since 2000 Pro and XP.

Linux usage is up due to SBC's being a thing along with the used hardware market being much larger now (cheap Linux friendly used business laptops especially).

Linux is still a huge mess on cutting edge desktop hardware.

The main point of they selling the machine is the OS.

Unfortunately since the hardware market is developing rapidly, the simple single catalog like phone model isn't going or ever works.

I don't know when we are going to get better compatibility with linux in general, but I don't think we will reach ever reach that point soon.

My problem with Steam OS was I didn't want to have zero ability to use a browser or use traditional HTPC apps.

2 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

This removal symbolizes the death of Steam Machines, which failed to ever really be relevant due to their lack of media attention, and the fact that many times they were underpowered

I don't think that was the actual reason. I think what killed Steam machines is the lack of games available on Linux, and the lack of communication around this issue. I think that the Steam Controller was a weird thing too. I would have marketed it differently: rather than trying to make "a console for everybody" (and failing to do it because that's a market already owned by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo), I would have invested in the couch gaming thing and given more incentives to game developers, or even invested a lot in virtualization technologies because at first you want to have an attractive library.

Not surprising. Steam machines were like using a PC minus most of what makes a PC good, at least in my eyes.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

4 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

If Microsoft continues to lock down Windows, AAA developers and users will start moving to Linux quicker.

As long as Microsoft owns the vast majority of OS market share developers won't move to Linux. I doubt users will move, we've had so much garbage locked down over the years and just rolled over and accepted it I can't see any world where an OS will be different

5 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why would developers move in mass if consumers dont, and why would consumers move in mass if devs dont?

its all valves fault. 

steamOS wasnt ready yet, valve is always hands off and they cant compete with consoles or even self build pcs. 

they tried to make a console using normal consumer hardware, which is just too expensive.

1 hour ago, Tedny said:

SteamOS still can be found? 

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download/

5 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

No, that's never going to happen.

And it's precisely because of this news topic: It is not enough for Microsoft to misbehave you need a viable alternative and to make Linux a viable alternative takes someone the size of Valve to try and convince not only developers but Nvidia and AMD as well to be on board and somehow offer a plausible rewards for the efforts.

The steam machine was potentially that incentive: be in early in a new paradigm of PC gaming brought to you by the name on PC gaming Valve. It's too fucking bad they basically killed the steam machine early with Valve time again showing no understanding of how the hardware business model works.

So really the only conceivable competitor that I personally see jumping into Linux head first to develop their platform its somebody like Sony: they will need to answer Microsoft's Windows 10 store (I believe they will eventually encourage all titles even third party to be developed for just Windows 10 store you can play both on PC or on an xbox console) and they might as well grab a functional OS like Linux to jump start their effort. This will of course mean jackshit for Linux gaming since it will be a very well guarded walled garden for PS Network games you can play on either a PC or a PS4 console.

But just regular AAA games working on something like Ubuntu? I would venture to say that's never going to happen now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

29 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but what if their compiler happens to be able to do one for linuxlike OSes? (other than troubleshooting but i'm thinking that's on the game engine devs ._.)

Even if it was a matter of coding an extra 100 lines to make it happen, companies like EA, Ubi, Beth, etc. Wouldn't bother because they'd look at the possible sales (hint: next to nothing) and decide 'Yeah...we could do that, or we could have you code those lines to introduce a new color of weapon for DLC, do that instead' since it will actually make them more money.

That's how AAA games work: how to get the most money out of customers, Linux for consumers it's never going to be that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I actually like the steam controller... 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

20 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

I actually like the steam controller... 

They still list the Controller. Steam Link too. But not the Steam Machines, which were an abject failure.

Yeah they did underperform but it was also poorly executed and advertised. The idea was cool. But you can do that with your PC now anyways. 

MS could do something like it potentially. They own Windows and could make something like a compact PC with mid range specs with console UI too. It's not XB yes. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Steam Machines floundered largely because Valve overestimated the value of Steam.

Valve seemed to have the notion that developers would flock to port their games to Linux because they'd be on Steam.  But developers aren't just looking at whether or not a game is on Steam -- they're also looking at whether it's on the platform that will sell enough copies and support the hardware they want.  And Linux, sorry to say, accomplishes neither.  Steam just made it easier to aggregate that poor selection.

The only way this would have really worked would have involved a large-scale shift where many major developers committed to releasing Linux ports on Steam for at least a couple of years to build up interest.  Having some Valve games and a handful of notable ports does not a compelling experience make.

Yeah, the lack of marketing didn't help, but I'd say you can still tie that into Valve's view of Steam: well of course gamers will know about it and take interest, it's Steam!  It reminds me of how Microsoft under Ballmer had this odd belief that humans were biologically pre-programmed to love Windows, and that merely attaching Windows to something (like a phone or tablet) automatically made it better.  In both cases, they didn't realize that there was much more to it than putting their software on a device and putting out a press release.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Steam Machines floundered largely because Valve overestimated the value of Steam.

Valve seemed to have the notion that developers would flock to port their games to Linux because they'd be on Steam.  But developers aren't just looking at whether or not a game is on Steam -- they're also looking at whether it's on the platform that will sell enough copies and support the hardware they want.  And Linux, sorry to say, accomplishes neither.  Steam just made it easier to aggregate that poor selection.

The only way this would have really worked would have involved a large-scale shift where many major developers committed to releasing Linux ports on Steam for at least a couple of years to build up interest.  Having some Valve games and a handful of notable ports does not a compelling experience make.

Yeah, the lack of marketing didn't help, but I'd say you can still tie that into Valve's view of Steam: well of course gamers will know about it and take interest, it's Steam!  It reminds me of how Microsoft under Ballmer had this odd belief that humans were biologically pre-programmed to love Windows, and that merely attaching Windows to something (like a phone or tablet) automatically made it better.  In both cases, they didn't realize that there was much more to it than putting their software on a device and putting out a press release.

To be fair they did generated a decent amount of interest right off the bat, but what you say rings true since they assumed that these companies investing their money on their new platform were willing to wait on their fucking bullshit valve time. If they had been better prepared with the OS and the controller or even dropped the steam controller altogether to avoid delaying the launch of the steam machines maybe they could have generated far more momentum but well I honestly feel they thought they could treat other companies like they treat gamers and that's when they've find out, like you said, that they overestimated the value of their product.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Had Valve released something for SteamOS, Steam machines might have survived.They are Google of the gaming industry, do their employees do anything at all?They have almost unlimited amount of time and money.

15 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So really the only conceivable competitor that I personally see jumping into Linux head first to develop their platform its somebody like Sony: they will need to answer Microsoft's Windows 10 store (I believe they will eventually encourage all titles even third party to be developed for just Windows 10 store you can play both on PC or on an xbox console) and they might as well grab a functional OS like Linux to jump start their effort. This will of course mean jackshit for Linux gaming since it will be a very well guarded walled garden for PS Network games you can play on either a PC or a PS4 console.

To be fair, Linux is already moving more and more to support centralized stores. Developers on that side have realized the issue and are working to address it. Look at Snap and Flatpack to see what I mean.

You've also already got other players like Atari pushing for Linux based gaming, including support for steam on their platforms which will help increase the userbase little by little.

Are we going to see AAA support Linux anytime soon? Probably not. But all we need is to have a compelling enough case for indie gamers to bring them over and grow the marketbase. Even if it retains niche, we need to make it a bigger niche.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

I think you missed the entire point of Valve's push. Valve doesn't short-term anything. Their goal with Steam Machines/SteamOS was exactly what they accomplished: get small scale and indie devs to consider Linux a serious platform.

At the end of the day you're not going to convince major studios to switch over because it's not about the userbase to them, it's about money. The Indie community is a lot more willing to put themselves out there for the community though and even with the flop that was Steam Machines we've seen this.

There have been huge QoL improvements for the gaming community on Linux, and huge improvements for support from smaller devs. If you seriously thought SteamOS was about pushing AAA devs to Linux, you don't really understand Valve time.

10 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

To be fair, Linux is already moving more and more to support centralized stores. Developers on that side have realized the issue and are working to address it. Look at Snap and Flatpack to see what I mean.

You've also already got other players like Atari pushing for Linux based gaming, including support for steam on their platforms which will help increase the userbase little by little.

Are we going to see AAA support Linux anytime soon? Probably not. But all we need is to have a compelling enough case for indie gamers to bring them over and grow the marketbase. Even if it retains niche, we need to make it a bigger niche.

Agreed: indie devs would make a very compelling case since a good chunk of the times the performance penalties from immature drivers is just not as damaging plus it's a venture they can easily take.

This was one of the strengths I liked from the SteamOS push the most the fact that so many indie games were pushed to the front of well, the Linux push. Now the best thing for that to keep cultivating a small niche like that would be to AMD to have Radeon recover more and keep supporting open source. That's....well kind of bad news to be honest since that's also unlikely to happen but hey stranger things have happened.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I think you missed the entire point of Valve's push. Valve doesn't short-term anything. Their goal with Steam Machines/SteamOS was exactly what they accomplished: get small scale and indie devs to consider Linux a serious platform.

At the end of the day you're not going to convince major studios to switch over because it's not about the userbase to them, it's about money. The Indie community is a lot more willing to put themselves out there for the community though and even with the flop that was Steam Machines we've seen this.

There have been huge QoL improvements for the gaming community on Linux, and huge improvements for support from smaller devs. If you seriously thought SteamOS was about pushing AAA devs to Linux, you don't really understand Valve time.

Atari? Lol. Don't put your hopes in Atari. The Atari Box is going to fail harder than Steam Machines.