[deleted]

10 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I have no reasons to recommend VPNs based in the US while plenty alternatives operating from much more favorable jurisdictions are available.

I think it’s safe to say that putting privacy to a tech company regardless of the location is a matter of faith and that includes VPN providers. Meanwhile. My top two picks for VPN are ExpressVPN (British Virgin Islands) and PrivateVPN (Sweden) which is the one I’m using as those two suits my needs better as they both allow P2P and can unblock geographically restricted content including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

47 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

To be fair, there’s some truth to the McAfee stigma especially with their anti-virus programs way back in early 2000s and I think until now. 

Plus the fack McAfee killed someone, i'de not want to be associated with that ether 

Just now, Cole5 said:

Plus the fack McAfee killed someone, i'de not want to be associated with that ether 

I don't know that. What happened?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, Cole5 said:

You do know that...

A) there was never any actual proof pulled forth and it was little more than an accusation

B) that John McAfee hasn't even been involved with the McAfee Associates antivirus since 1994

...right?

I think that it was a bit of a dick move that it is apparent that Tunnelbear found out about it via the youtube video.

I know what LTT is going to say in response and I do not care.  It is what it is.

It was a business decision, based on being the cool kid.  LTT the influencer, that is your job.

Others have said it, McAfee purchased Tunnel Bear and LMG doesn't want to promote a product from McAfee because of it's questionable practices and the fact that TunnelBear is a Canadian company and McAfee is an American company it would be regulated by American and Canadian law

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

the fact that TunnelBear is a Canadian company and McAfee is an American company it would be regulated by American and Canadian law

I think that's the major reason. Forget McAfee. Being under double the regulation is very bad for a company that helps you avoid certain regulations. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

People should not have used TunnelBear to begin with. They only did it because Linus was paid to tell everyone how awesome they were. I wish people would realize that Linus doesn't endorse their sponsors because they make good products that you should buy. They endorse them because they get paid to do so.

PIA has always been strictly better. Both in terms of price and service (for example doesn't block torrent traffic, unlike TunnelBear).

Also, is VPN choices becoming like religious sects? I see a lot of ignorance being parroted, dubious claims being taken as fact, and assumptions being treated as gospel.

48 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

People should not have used TunnelBear to begin with. They only did it because Linus was paid to tell everyone how awesome they were. I wish people would realize that Linus doesn't endorse their sponsors because they make good products that you should buy. They endorse them because they get paid to do so.

PIA has always been strictly better. Both in terms of price and service (for example doesn't block torrent traffic, unlike TunnelBear).

Also, is VPN choices becoming like religious sects? I see a lot of ignorance being parroted, dubious claims being taken as fact, and assumptions being treated as gospel.

i think you're being really unfair in your comment. Neither tunnelbear was that bad that people just simply shouldn't use it, neither people were using it just because of LLT, if it were really bad people would not used even with a LTT sponsorship.

And i guess you have examples that Linus doesn't just endorse any sponsor, it is a business for sure and money is a big part of it, but they do care if it's a shitty product, you have examples here in the forum.

I would never use a US based VPN, but PIA certainly doesn't cause the allergies that Mcafee does just by hearing it's name, so i get the sitgma reason and it makes sense being a influencer and all. When it comes to disastrous brands in tech Mcafee is certainly on the top.

But there are better VPN's out there.

15 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Neither tunnelbear was that bad that people just simply shouldn't use it

It wasn't/isn't terrible, but it's not really good either. Why pay more for a worse service than you can get from other providers?

16 minutes ago, asus killer said:

neither people were using it just because of LLT

Considering the massive boost in popularity on this forum TunnelBear got when Linus started endorsing them, and the drop-off in people using and recommending Hotspot Shield I am fairly sure a considerable amount of people on this forum uses it just because Linus told them to.

17 minutes ago, asus killer said:

if it were really bad people would not used even with a LTT sponsorship.

You are underestimating the effects marketing has on people.

19 minutes ago, asus killer said:

And i guess you have examples that Linus doesn't just endorse any sponsor, it is a business for sure and money is a big part of it, but they do care if it's a shitty product, you have examples here in the forum.

They only care if there is a backlash from the community though, and that only happens when something is very bad. Like when they were endorsing a Chrome extension which seemed to have a cryptominer in it. Or when they were endorsing Sailfish University which has a terrible reputation.

For a product that is neither good nor bad, like TunnelBear, there won't be much of an uproar so they will stay as a sponsor.

43 minutes ago, asus killer said:

I would never use a US based VPN,

In most cases that would be a good call, however it has been clear based on their court appearances they keep no data what so ever from their users, the only issue having a country in 5 eyes is that they can be subpoenaed to give information without much more than a decree, however you can't givelogs if you don't have them now can you.

As for whether their are better vpns, define better as their are faster ones for sure but they are also much more expensive additionally most of the places these companies are located are part of 14 eyes. , also it should be noted from a "legal" standpoint it doesn't matter if a company is located in a country or not if they have any servers in one of the 14 eye countries, Russia, China, NATO members, or really any big player on the world stage they can be in the same situation.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

17 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

In most cases that would be a good call, however it has been clear based on their court appearances they keep no data what so ever from their users, the only issue having a country in 5 eyes is that they can be subpoenaed to give information without much more than a decree, however you can't givelogs if you don't have them now can you.

As for whether their are better vpns, define better as their are faster ones for sure but they are also much more expensive additionally most of the places these companies are located are part of 14 eyes. , also it should be noted from a "legal" standpoint it doesn't matter if a company is located in a country or not if they have any servers in one of the 14 eye countries, Russia, China, NATO members, or really any big player on the world stage they can be in the same situation.

On 3/30/2018 at 11:13 PM, asus killer said:

from a post on reddit i read some time ago

Why is it not recommended to choose a US based service?

Services based in the United States are not recommended because of the country’s surveillance programs, use of National Security Letters (NSLs) and accompanying gag orders, which forbid the recipient from talking about the request. This combination allows the government to secretly force companies to grant complete access to customer data and transform the service into a tool of mass surveillance. An example of this is Lavabit – a discontinued secure email service created by Ladar Levison. The FBI requested Snowden’s records after finding out that he used the service. Since Lavabit did not keep logs and email content was stored encrypted, the FBI served a subpoena (with a gag order) for the service’s SSL keys. Having the SSL keys would allow them to access communications (both metadata and unencrypted content) in real time for all of Lavabit’s customers, not just Snowden's. Ultimately, Levison turned over the SSL keys and shut down the service at the same time. The US government then threatened Levison with arrest, saying that shutting down the service was a violation of the court order.

28 minutes ago, asus killer said:

That info was mentioned in in a prior post, specifically it was in PIA's faq on why they are not worried about operating in a 5 eyes country

For anyone concerned with PIA being based in the US.

https://helpdesk.privateinternetaccess.com/hc/en-us/articles/229705288-Is-Private-Internet-Access-Located-In-A-Fourteen-Eyes-Country-

With the added security of end-to-end encryption and with nothing logged that can identify our users, with public court records to show for it, the question remains what to do if PIA is coerced into something – or rather, if authorities try to coerce PIA into something, such as was the case with Yahoo recently, when the NSA had forced it into spying on its own users.

There is a precedent for this, and it is Lavabit choosing to shut down operations instead of selling out its users (specifically, selling out Edward Snowden). That’s also exactly what Private Internet Access has already done once, when Russia demanded that we start logging our users’ identities, after seizing PIA servers.

Our response was to immediately shut down operations in Russia:

The Russian Government has passed a new law that mandates that every provider must log all Russian internet traffic for up to a year […] Upon learning of the above, we immediately discontinued our Russian gateways and will no longer be doing business in the region.

And this, in summary, is why Private Internet Access isn't concerned about being located in a Fourteen Eyes Country.

Also this isn't an email service, so their is no relevant data beyond the logs

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

15 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

That info was mentioned in in a prior post, specifically it was in PIA's faq on why they are not worried about operating in a 5 eyes country

you're basically saying that you believe they would willingly stop their livelihood all together if that happened. Seems pretty unreasonable if you ask me. One thing is shutting down operations in Russia, another is shutting down shop altogether. "Yes folks we are all out of a job and a paycheck, so bye, let's all go to the unemployment line. We could just keep the money coming by no telling anyone, but no, unemployment and bankruptcy seems fine"

sorry for the sarcasm, but come on man...

32 minutes ago, asus killer said:

snip

I was writing a response to this but then I figured it was much more simple to ask what VPN you think is good, as any problem PIA would have will affect any VPN service unless they exist in a country or location without a governmental power. (in which case their service would suck)

(also Tunnelbear who he previously was sponsored by is in Canada so....yeah no difference there)

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

I was writing a response to this but then I figured it was much more simple to ask what VPN you think is good, as any problem PIA would have will affect any VPN service unless they exist in a country or location without a governmental power. (in which case their service would suck)

(also Tunnelbear who he previously was sponsored by is in Canada so....yeah no difference there)

i was not comparing VPN's, you quoted me as saying i would never use a US VPN, i stand by what i wrote because the US government is not a privacy friendly government as we agree (quoted case), it bullies companies into giving them users private information. There are much better countries at doing this, the US is maybe one of the worst, FBI, NSA, snowden and all that. Most countries don't even have the muscle, the man power or know how to enforce any laws they may have.

I think I'm still a little shocked at the popularity of VPNs in the first place. All this inflated sense of self going around here. What exactly are you people using it for?

15 minutes ago, divito said:

I think I'm still a little shocked at the popularity of VPNs in the first place. All this inflated sense of self going around here. What exactly are you people using it for?

Getting around geo-blocking, avoiding throttling, torrent use, avoiding strict governmental controls (we have members from countries with heavy internet restrictions), avoiding DDOS (or worse) on streams, and general privacy concerns.

What do you think VPNs are only needed for spies and malcontent journalists?

i don't use a VPN... i am an VPN :)))

• CPU - AMD 2600 OC @ 4.0GHZ w 1.3v Stable : Cinebench R20 MultiCore : 3050 Single Core: 413 : Blender Rendering 75C Full Load
  • CPU Paste - Arctic Silver Ceramique 2
  • Motherboard - MSI B450M GAMING PLUS
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8gb 3000mhz CL15
  • GPU - XFX RX 580 GTS XXX
  • Case - DELUX CASE MT375 - Stripped to the frame for a better cooling
  • Storage - Samsung EVO 850 250gb
  • PSU - Segotep GTR 550
  • Display(s) - BenQ GL2250H
  • Cooling - Deepcool GAMMAXX 200T
  • Keyboard - A4Tech KD-126
  • Mouse - A4Tech N-400-2
  • Sound - AMD HD / RealTek ALC887
  • Operating System - Windows 10 Home

14 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I think that's the major reason. Forget McAfee. Being under double the regulation is very bad for a company that helps you avoid certain regulations. 

I don't think that's a reason at all since surely the same would apply to PIA?  They are based in America but operating in Canada, and elsewhere.  How is it different?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Getting around geo-blocking, avoiding throttling, torrent use, avoiding strict governmental controls (we have members from countries with heavy internet restrictions), avoiding DDOS (or worse) on streams, and general privacy concerns.

What do you think VPNs are only needed for spies and malcontent journalists?

No, more so people that think what they're doing is special versus anyone else. I'd wager a large portion of the consumers don't actually suffer from those issues and are more tin-foil hat or egotistical about their online activities.

As you've stated, there are legitimate issues that can be remedied by access to a VPN, and perhaps if I'd ever had issues with torrents or throttling, I'd have to consider using a service. Geo-blocking is about the only realm where I'd probably have some interest, but it's probably not worth the cost for how much I'd use it.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think that's a reason at all since surely the same would apply to PIA?  They are based in America but operating in Canada, and elsewhere.  How is it different?

Because they aren't a Canadian company. Or a UK company. Or anything else. Being American owned does kind of suck (particularly right now), but they are only absolutely subject to one set of laws. If necessary they can pull service from one location (like they did with either Korea or Russia, can't REMEMBER which) to avoid their government, but no matter what they are subject to US laws. They've shown they've got no problem going to court to protect customer anonymity (which is why they got an endorsement from Torrentfreak) but dealing with one is a lot easier than two. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I'm gonna admit this, I've committed a sin, McAfee trial is still installed on my laptop I just bought last week. P.S. thanks ASUS. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Seriously curious, do any of ya who use VPNs even bother to disable Teredo and WebRTC?  Otherwise, you may as well not even bother having a VPN.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

How long is the discount attached to the PIA referral link good for?