Futureproof Gaming Laptop for College

Mew

I'm starting school in the fall and am taking out student loans for school and one for a laptop as well. Since I am doing computer engineering and also modeling/rendering on the side so I am looking for a small portable laptop with a GTX 1080 in it. So far I've narrowed it down to these three Laptops. I would prefer a "notebook"~esque laptop for school but I wouldn't be opposed to carrying a 17inch laptop around.

Alienware 17" with GTX 1080 - https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-AW17R4-7352SLV-PUS-Laptop-Generation-256SSD/dp/B01N0THPHM/

ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15.6" - https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-Full-HD-Ultra-portable-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B071XDXLPG/

Aorus X5 MD - https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Max-MD-KL4K3M-i7-7820HK-chassis/dp/B07522SMW4/

I'm looking for something that I could type on all day, which rules out the ASUS ROG Zephyrus (which is a shame because it's specs are amazing for the price and the chasis is nice).

I know Alienware is overpriced but I want something that has good build quality aswell as good specs, and I'm not looking to take out a $4k loan for a Razerblade (as sexy as it is.).

I would prefer a full keyboard with/without a numpad. I also thought about the [Predator Triton 700](https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756TR51D/) but they keyboard issue is still a thing.

I'm going to go to a few "electronics" stores like Fry's, BestBuy, and anywhere else that carries these brands of laptops to see how well they work and if typing on them would actually be an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks!

You getting the laptop now? If you're wanting future proofing would it maybe be worth waiting for the new GPU's to come out?

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

The only way you will be typing on any of these all day is to have them plugged in. Did you mean off battery power? Nothing with a 1080 in it will last more than a couple hours, even when not gaming.

Choose between portable and power. You can't get a good thin 1080 laptop, if you want portability then go for laptops with 1060/1070MQ like Gigabyte Aero 15/15X, Clevo P950/P957 and MSI GS63VR. Powerful GPU inside thin chassis will only cause high inner+surface temps and high fan noise.

From the choices above, only AW17 is good. Consider other options as well like Clevo P775TM, MSI GT73VR/GT73eVR, MSI GT75VR

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

You don’t need a 1080 at all. Especially since this is a loan I would look at lower end. Also battery life will be much better with something like a 1060. New CPUs and GPUs are also about to come to laptops (GPUs are getting desktop release in 3 months though) 

That's an F in the profile pic

10 hours ago, Froody129 said:

You don’t need a 1080 at all. Especially since this is a loan I would look at lower end. Also battery life will be much better with something like a 1060. New CPUs and GPUs are also about to come to laptops (GPUs are getting desktop release in 3 months though) 

Well I'm starting school in September, when should I buy the laptop and battery life isn't an issue.

So I'm thinking of the Aero 15x (if I can fucking get one lol), but now I'm scared I should wait until last minute to pull the trigger on buying a laptop

7 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

Well I'm starting school in September, when should I buy the laptop and battery life isn't an issue.

As someone that once carried an HP ZD8000 around for a bit, having something that won't die if you so much as watch a video, or while finishing an essay minutes before its actually due, is a very great boon. In fact, it would probably be better to buy a laptop that is actually good as a laptop, with some gaming capability as a side bonus.

Or just buy something like a cheap old Macbook, throw in a SSD, or grab an HP Stream, (something that is good for college purposes) then get a desktop.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

As someone that once carried an HP ZD8000 around for a bit, having something that won't die if you so much as watch a video, or while finishing an essay minutes before its actually due, is a very great boon. In fact, it would probably be better to buy a laptop that is actually good as a laptop, with some gaming capability as a side bonus.

Well seeing as where I'm going has outlets in literally every room and near every chair I don't think it's an issue. If I'm doing homework at a starbucks or something I will already have a 100% charge by the time I start anyways. So I'd prefer something top of the line that I won't need to upgrade for at least 3/4 years

2 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

Well seeing as where I'm going has outlets in literally every room and near every chair I don't think it's an issue. If I'm doing homework at a starbucks or something I will already have a 100% charge by the time I start anyways. So I'd prefer something top of the line that I won't need to upgrade for at least 3/4 years

Could you get away with something cheap like an HP Stream for college use, then have the desktop at home? I don't imagine a student doing a lot of gaming on campus unless there is an absurd amount of time in between classes.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Could you get away with something cheap like an HP Stream for college use, then have the desktop at home? I don't imagine a student doing a lot of gaming on campus unless there is an absurd amount of time in between classes.

Honestly the place I'm planning on going to for college pretty much has students there all day from like 10AM-closing which is at 9PM. So I was thinking I might as well get something top of the line since I'll be there all day

Here's my rule on buying laptops.

Don't think too much about futureproofing. Know what your needs are today and whether that might change over the next couple of years you will be using the machine.

It's nice to have a top-end machine, but are you going to be playing all the latest AAA titles at max graphics on its native resolution for 3 years? Are you planning to use it as a general purpose laptop? How long are you away from a power outlet? Do you even game at all on the go? Does portability matter?

If you're eyeing on a high end laptop but you don't game much on the go, then getting a good desktop for gaming at home and a laptop that's thin with great battery life while also having decent gaming performance might be a better compromise.

It's fun to have a laptop with a GTX 1080, but try not to get carried away. New tech is always coming and if you really want a futureproof machine, you're better off waiting for the next line of Intel CPUs and GeForce GTX GPUs.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The only way to prolong the use of your laptop is if you go to the high end models which have Thunderbolt 3. An ultrabook with Thunderbolt 3 will be good if you can afford one, but I'd wager the in built graphics won't be on par with a 1080. You'd have to get the external dock and another GPU.

Future proof is not a thing. I'd say get something light/portable with a long battery life rather than one with raw horse power. True gaming laptops rarely will last all day on a fully charged battery.

Will point out, the laptops with the MX150 are worth a look IMO as my one runs 1080p games very, very well. You could sell it after a year and buy a newer one to take advantage of any incremental updates.

4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Here's my rule on buying laptops.

Don't think too much about futureproofing. Know what your needs are today and whether that might change over the next couple of years you will be using the machine.

It's nice to have a top-end machine, but are you going to be playing all the latest AAA titles at max graphics on its native resolution for 3 years? Are you planning to use it as a general purpose laptop? How long are you away from a power outlet? Do you even game at all on the go? Does portability matter?

If you're eyeing on a high end laptop but you don't game much on the go, then getting a good desktop for gaming at home and a laptop that's thin with great battery life while also having decent gaming performance might be a better compromise.

It's fun to have a laptop with a GTX 1080, but try not to get carried away. New tech is always coming and if you really want a futureproof machine, you're better off waiting for the next line of Intel CPUs and GeForce GTX GPUs.

I don't game much on the go but when I do it's usually pretty demanding games, which is why I'd love a GTX 1080, my current rig at home has a 1070 in it. And the longest I'd probably not around an outlet for max like an hour. If school starts in Sept when do you think I should start looking at getting a laptop? August?

8 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

I don't game much on the go but when I do it's usually pretty demanding games, which is why I'd love a GTX 1080, my current rig at home has a 1070 in it. And the longest I'd probably not around an outlet for max like an hour. If school starts in Sept when do you think I should start looking at getting a laptop? August?

Ideally around August.

And get a laptop with a TB3 port that supports eGPUs.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 28/3/2018 at 10:59 AM, kurahk7 said:

I'm starting school in the fall and am taking out student loans for school and one for a laptop as well. Since I am doing computer engineering and also modeling/rendering on the side so I am looking for a small portable laptop with a GTX 1080 in it. So far I've narrowed it down to these three Laptops. I would prefer a "notebook"~esque laptop for school but I wouldn't be opposed to carrying a 17inch laptop around.

Alienware 17" with GTX 1080 - https://www.amazon.com/Alienware-AW17R4-7352SLV-PUS-Laptop-Generation-256SSD/dp/B01N0THPHM/

ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15.6" - https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-Full-HD-Ultra-portable-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B071XDXLPG/

Aorus X5 MD - https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Max-MD-KL4K3M-i7-7820HK-chassis/dp/B07522SMW4/

I'm looking for something that I could type on all day, which rules out the ASUS ROG Zephyrus (which is a shame because it's specs are amazing for the price and the chasis is nice).

I know Alienware is overpriced but I want something that has good build quality aswell as good specs, and I'm not looking to take out a $4k loan for a Razerblade (as sexy as it is.).

I would prefer a full keyboard with/without a numpad. I also thought about the [Predator Triton 700](https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756TR51D/) but they keyboard issue is still a thing.

I'm going to go to a few "electronics" stores like Fry's, BestBuy, and anywhere else that carries these brands of laptops to see how well they work and if typing on them would actually be an issue.

Thanks!

Clevo P775TM-G

Spoiler

On 3/29/2018 at 6:08 PM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Ideally around August.

And get a laptop with a TB3 port that supports eGPUs.

Alrighty thanks!

im sure you heard this one already, but you should consider getting cheap portable laptop with good battery for your study needs and desktop for the performance tasks

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

11 hours ago, Neftex said:

im sure you heard this one already, but you should consider getting cheap portable laptop with good battery for your study needs and desktop for the performance tasks

I have yeah, I thought about it, I might actually go with a $2k laptop and spend the rest on PC upgrades.

Right now my specs are

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
RAM: 16gb DDR4 RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Monitor: LG 34UM58-P Ultrawide

I need an SSD still, I'm still in the past running an HDD lol

Depending on when/what is available when I get my student loan I have a few laptops that I'm interested in.

Asus ROG Zephyrus M GM501 is super appealing, I went to BestBuy to feel how much the laptops weighed etc and I want something that is less than 0.7" or 0.8" thick.

28 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

GM501

It has slightly improved thermals but higher fan noise under load. Also improved keyboard design. If you don't mind the high noise development under load and weak battery life then go for it. Get the 1070 non Max-Q version. Keep in mind that inner temps are still high so a repaste is recommended.

Or go for new GE Raider. The new Aero runs hot so I'll avoid unless you need the battery life and willing to do LM repaste.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

It has slightly improved thermals but higher fan noise under load. Also improved keyboard design. If you don't mind the high noise development under load and weak battery life then go for it. Get the 1070 non Max-Q version. Keep in mind that inner temps are still high so a repaste is recommended.

Or go for new GE Raider. The new Aero runs hot so I'll avoid unless you need the battery life and willing to do LM repaste.

That doesn't bother me at all

On 3/28/2018 at 4:59 AM, kurahk7 said:

Thanks!

I would just wait for a bit. The laptops coming out are gonna get the newer 8th gen i7s, including a core count boost for the i7s and hyperthreading for the i5s... which is just extra bang for less buck overall. :D Personally, I'd wait if you can.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260