It's happened. Self-driving Uber kills pedestrian

ucrbuffalo
53 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Let me just ask you this: Whose side are you really on in the coming robot - human war?

Do robots decide to drive while drunk and kill people? Do they look at their cell phone or try to eat with no hands? AI doesnt try to speed, experience road rage or get distracted. 

AI reacts faster, can see more at once, can process the best outcome. 

37 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

So if you step in front of the train and get ran over, trains are at fault?

Absolutely.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Do robots decide to drive while drunk and kill people? Do they look at their cell phone or try to eat with no hands? AI doesnt try to speed, experience road rage or get distracted. 

What if the AI develops a drug habit and starts doing lines of code before driving? 

It all started with a gateway language like java, then I progressed to C++.  Then the other cars at uber suggested I try cobalt or fortran.  I didn't think I had a problem until I realised I was decompiling my self for a line of code on my lunch break.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What if the AI has calculated the best outcome is to kill all humans?

You want the truth? Nobody entirely understands what those algorithms really do.

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

You want the truth? Nobody entirely understands what those algorithms really do.

Well they have been working fine for the past few years. This was a fluke. 

So understand it or not, its working. 

11 minutes ago, maartendc said:

What if the AI has calculated the best outcome is to kill all humans?

What if a mutant Dinosaur named Godzilla came out of the ground and destroyed all humans?

Like seriously, wtf kind of argument is that? Your trolling is very apparent.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

He's right in the sense that most modern AI actually invent their own language almost immediately, because they find human created ways of communicating inefficient.

There's a lot about true AI that humans don't understand yet. But vehicles aren't quite at the "kill all humans" stage yet.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I want to come into some wealth, then I could purchase a self driving car, fit a taxidermied Llama in the driving seat, head out of the sunroof, with some proper 1980's shades on, and have the car circle a busy city block blaring the Benny Hill themesong.

#lifegoals.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

32 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah but that also means that if something is wrong with those we cannot check it before something wrong happens, which is why it is healthy to be concerned when there are accidents.

29 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

He's right in the sense that most modern AI actually invent their own language almost immediately, because they find human created ways of communicating inefficient.

There's a lot about true AI that humans don't understand yet. But vehicles aren't quite at the "kill all humans" stage yet.

Ahhh those latent space and intermediate representations... :P you gotta love those!

Just now, laminutederire said:

Yeah but that also means that if something is wrong with those we cannot check it before something wrong happens, which is why it is healthy to be concerned when there are accidents.

Concerned? Yes of course. Just like any accident, involving anything (human drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, dogs, AI, whatever).

We should let professionals investigate, determine cause, and choose an appropriate outcome.

I have no problem with the fact that the Uber SUV crash was investigated. I do have a problem with all the users on here who blindly and with zero evidence just straight up claimed that the Autonomous SUV was at fault. I also have a problem with the users on here who blindly claim that humans are safer drivers than autonomous vehicles, despite the evidence to the contrary.

1 hour ago, CCWong said:

It isn't a leap at all. There will be a marked difference in the safety between well trained AI drivers operating a vehicle and human operators of said vehicle. Choosing to engage in the less safe option heightens the probability of an accident. If you are on a closed track, then you would (most likely) be the only one assuming the increased risk. If you chose to do so on a public road, you would be forcing everyone else to assume that increased risk for your sake.

You misunderstand, the leap of logic was in assuming that my personal liberty equated to costing someone else their life.

8 hours ago, CCWong said:

you are effectively denying liberty to all other commuters you encounter by putting them at greater risk, infringing on their rights to life

Just because accidents do happen, doesn't mean that my driving will lead to someone dying.

1 hour ago, CCWong said:

Ironic that you want to bring up 'personal responsibility,' yet have no interest in taking any.

*sigh*

Fun fact, I just got accused of "mansplaining" on Facebook when I commented on a news article, correcting a person who tried to use this very Uber accident as a reason why self-driving cars are dangerous.

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Fun fact, I just got accused of "mansplaining" on Facebook when I commented on a news article, correcting a person who tried to use this very Uber accident as a reason why self-driving cars are dangerous.

Don't expect a person using that word and opposing self driving cars to be reasonable. 

:)

Locked.

While this is an interesting topic, and one that will come back in the news at one point or another, this thread has ran it's course seeing as the last few pages seems to be mostly bickering, passive-aggressive replies, arguing semantics, some seemingly replying in bad faith and others doing some (on purpose or not) trolling.

Open mindedness, being respectful and civil is what we ask of everyone.

While we decided not to issue warnings, the behaviors displayed here by some are in violation of the Community Standards.

FYI ; Post-locking thread cleaning may happen in the coming hours.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !