It's happened. Self-driving Uber kills pedestrian

ucrbuffalo

https://www.abc15.com/news/arizona-police-investigating-self-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight

TEMPE, Ariz. - Tempe police are investigating a deadly crash involving a self-driving Uber vehicle overnight. 

The Uber vehicle was reportedly driving early Monday morning when a woman walking outside of the crosswalk was struck.

Apparently there was a driver in the car, but it was in autopilot mode. I have to wonder what kind of systems might be in place in these vehicles to alert the driver in the case of an imminent emergency? If the car knows (which it may not have in this case) that it will have to slow down significantly, might it make a loud beep or something to warn the driver?

Without knowing any of the details it's hard to identify the party at fault... if she was walking outside the crosswalk as in 10cm on the side, this shouldn't have happened. If she just crossed the road without warning and without checking for incoming cars, it probably couldn't be avoided.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Well, there goes that.

I'm not sure why everyone is quick to jump to the conclusion shes not at fault, autonomous systems are pretty damn good already, and there was someone behind the wheel that *should* of been paying attention as well

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:
  • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Well, there goes that.

Good thing those were written by one guy who had no idea anything like real self-driving cars would ever be a thing. Those rules are so outdated, I chuckle whenever I read them.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Title should be that the pedestrian steps in front of a moving car. Car was innocent.

I'll take that into consideration in the future.

Just now, ucrbuffalo said:

I'll take that into consideration in the future.

I was joking :D

But the title a bit sensationalist.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Linked article video says that it was a cyclist not actually a pedestrian.

The Uber vehicle was reportedly driving early Monday morning when a woman walking outside of the crosswalk was struck. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

1 hour ago, Ginger_ said:

I'm not sure why everyone is quick to jump to the conclusion shes not at fault, autonomous systems are pretty damn good already, and there was someone behind the wheel that *should* of been paying attention as well

Self driving cars have already proven them selves, even if the driver was paying attention, he would of been too late. 

I would like to know more of how this happened, still bet my money on she just walked out in traffic well short of the braking distance. By look of the video the bike is still in front of the car showing that it did try to stop in time.

Can I ask why the fuck the driver didn't seem to correct the course of the vehicle? TESLA requires you to keep both hands on the wheel when it's in motion. 

Tempe Police says the vehicle was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash and a vehicle operator was also behind the wheel. No passengers were in the vehicle at the time. 

I put the blame on the driver than the car (Sure the car may be at blame) but there was a vehicle operator. Why didn't he adjust the vehicle's heading? 

If they stepped infront of the car a robot cant defy physics - aka mass x speed = momentum - no matter how quickly the brakes were applied physics will be the limiting factor xD

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yes but actually watch the video, they say cyclist and show a bicycle. Would explain why they were where they were.

Oh okay, didn't watch that. Maybe she was walking her bike across the road

Just now, Ginger_ said:

Oh okay, didn't watch that. Maybe she was walking her bike across the road

Must be, otherwise it would be considered a normal traffic incident because while riding a bicycle, you are technically a vehicle.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

FFS Uber... This is a technology that a lot of people are already super wary of. Other companies like Waymo have been craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy overprotective about this kind of stuff specifically because the first time something like this happens it's going to create a huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of backlash. Why do you need to be so reckless in pushing your vehicles forward Uber?

kinda scary seeing everyone jumping to conclusions.

On 3/19/2018 at 12:47 PM, Sniperfox47 said:

FFS Uber... This is a technology that a lot of people are already super wary of. Other companies like Waymo have been craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy overprotective about this kind of stuff specifically because the first time something like this happens it's going to create a huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of backlash. Why do you need to be so reckless in pushing your vehicles forward Uber?

I think self driving cars are something that's gonna come eventually no matter how much negative publicity it gets. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

At least there should be plenty of digital records to reconstruct the events that happened...  Should make the cops job a lot easier on determining whether the pedestrian (non mounted bicyclist?) made a sudden crossing without checking traffic and how much response time the Uber would have had (and whether any braking was applied).  

24 minutes ago, ucrbuffalo said:

https://www.abc15.com/news/arizona-police-investigating-self-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight

Apparently there was a driver in the car, but it was in autopilot mode. I have to wonder what kind of systems might be in place in these vehicles to alert the driver in the case of an imminent emergency? If the car knows (which it may not have in this case) that it will have to slow down significantly, might it make a loud beep or something to warn the driver?

news report says cyclist

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I just hope some lawmakers dont use this as a reason to completely ban testing of self driving cars.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

> Blames Uber

> Doesn't mention the driver at all

This could of been prevented you know? If the driver actually had his eyes on the road? 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Must be, otherwise it would be considered a normal traffic incident because while riding a bicycle, you are technically a vehicle.

My legs beg to differ every morning i face the hill before the University :P

3 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

kinda scary seeing everyone jumping to conclusions.

I think it may be because it's uber's car and looking at their history with self driving cars (like their feuds with waymo about intellectual property), people will tend to not forgive them for any mistakes.

I don't think this would have happened with Waymo.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking